2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, he did. I first saw him live at a summer comp in 2017, and he was representing Ukraine. Then, I believe, after the Olympics he decided to switch. Since Ukraine would not release him, he needed to wait out some years. But I may have that wrong, and others more knowledgeable than me can address the ins and outs. :)
:thank:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yaro competed @ the Philadelphia International Summer Competition (formerly known as "Liberty) in 2017. He made it on the senior men's podium there (silver medalist for Ukraine, along with Tim Dolensky (gold), and Max Aaron (bronze). In 2020 he competed @ US Nationals & finished 10th. This past season (in January 2021) he competed @ US Nationals & finished 4th!

I have a picture of him on the podium @ the 2017 Summer Competition I mentioned. I wish I could share it here. I have it in one of my FB photo albums.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a fan of Nathan's skating... but I disliked the SP strongly. I was OK with the Mozart long, but I didn't love it. It certainly isn't his best work.

I'm glad he changed for US Nats. I hope he continues with these programs to the Olympics.

Sidebar: I would have gone with Caravan for the short. It's quick and lively, and would provide terrific contrast with all the snoozy droning programs we'll be seeing at the Olympics.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I'm a fan of Nathan's skating... but I disliked the SP strongly. I was OK with the Mozart long, but I didn't love it. It certainly isn't his best work.

I'm glad he changed for US Nats. I hope he continues with these programs to the Olympics.

Sidebar: I would have gone with Caravan for the short. It's quick and lively, and would provide terrific contrast with all the snoozy droning programs we'll be seeing at the Olympics.
Another vote for Caravan! By far my favorite of all Nathan’s short programs.

(The Philip Glass was my favorite of his LPs; not a fan of Rocketman)

ucrgirl

On the Ice
One quote I read made it sound like Nathan still isn't sure which program he is using for the Olympics. I think he should decide soon.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

I agree the SP was a problem that needed to be addressed. However, bringing back La boheme IMO is going from a program that's 3/4ths dreary 1/4 dynamic to a program that's entirely dreary. That wasn't the only issue with Eternity (I quite literally forgot I'd seen it live a couple weeks ago) but... I too would've brought back Caravan-- like you said, it's totally different from anything any of the other top men are doing and was always a crowd-pleaser.

I'm less understanding about changing the free skate. I know not everyone was a fan of the Mozart remix, but I enjoyed it live and I don't remember Nathan seeming to have any major issues executing it. Rocketman feels like a step down to me personally, but obviously if that's the program he feels comfortable going ahead with then he's better equipped to assess what he needs than any of us.

That said, it doesn't seem like a great sign that he's going out of his way to say that he might change programs again before the Olympics.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Oh no!! Liked his new LP it was interesting. Rather he bring back Philip Glass , that was magnificent ,suited his modern style. Felt he was really progressing becoming a more innovative this year..what a shame!!

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I agree the SP was a problem that needed to be addressed. However, bringing back La boheme IMO is going from a program that's 3/4ths dreary 1/4 dynamic to a program that's entirely dreary. That wasn't the only issue with Eternity (I quite literally forgot I'd seen it live a couple weeks ago) but... I too would've brought back Caravan-- like you said, it's totally different from anything any of the other top men are doing and was always a crowd-pleaser.

I'm less understanding about changing the free skate. I know not everyone was a fan of the Mozart remix, but I enjoyed it live and I don't remember Nathan seeming to have any major issues executing it. Rocketman feels like a step down to me personally, but obviously if that's the program he feels comfortable going ahead with then he's better equipped to assess what he needs than any of us.

That said, it doesn't seem like a great sign that he's going out of his way to say that he might change programs again before the Olympics.
It doesn't seem like a great sign that he might change programs again before the Olympics. It makes me think that he is really unsettled in his preparation.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another vote for Caravan! By far my favorite of all Nathan’s short programs.

(The Philip Glass was my favorite of his LPs; not a fan of Rocketman)
I love Rocketman. Dad dance breakdown for the win. It will be even better if he goes back to the costume his mother made.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello Posters in the US Men's Figure Skating Thread:

The effect of re-using a program is an issue that affects many skaters. Posts that were related to skaters in addition to or other than Nathan Chen have been moved to their own thread in "The Edge". Please continue your discussion in the new thread:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah so, thumbs down. Not for discussion. We can't escape it though. Let's see how all the athletes fare at these winter games.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Personally, I liked the Benjamin Clementine medley for Nathan's sp. And I really enjoyed Nathan's fp for this season as well. The classical theme is a different side of Nathan, and the hip-hop ending is all Nathan, with all the signature, creative moves.

I'm not sure why Nathan felt the imperative to start changing things up during the Olympics season, at the last minute. Never a good thing, in my view. Seems to me as if Nathan, once again, is listening to people telling him different things. He needs to get this ironed out well before the Olympics. There's too much improvising in my opinion, with jump layouts, and now with whole program switches. But oh well, who am I to judge. Nathan will do what he feels comfortable with doing, apparently.

Nathan's sendoff sp at the Irvine rink

La Boheme is okay, but probably not my favorite sp he's done. I enjoy Caravan, but if he's using Rocketman for his fp, I guess he wants a different pace for the sp. Who knows at this point. It's pretty confusing to me altogether.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Personally, I liked the Benjamin Clementine medley for Nathan's sp. And I really enjoyed Nathan's fp for this season as well. The classical theme is a different side of Nathan, and the hip-hop ending is all Nathan, with all the signature, creative moves.

I'm not sure why Nathan felt the imperative to start changing things up during the Olympics season, at the last minute. Never a good thing, in my view. Seems to me as if Nathan, once again, is listening to people telling him different things. He needs to get this ironed out well before the Olympics. There's too much improvising in my opinion, with jump layouts, and now with whole program switches. But oh well, who am I to judge. Nathan will do what he feels comfortable with doing, apparently.

Nathan's sendoff sp at the Irvine rink

La Boheme is okay, but probably not my favorite sp he's done. I enjoy Caravan, but if he's using Rocketman for his fp, I guess he wants a different pace for the sp. Who knows at this point. It's pretty confusing to me altogether.
ITA this is not a good sign. Perhaps, though, it is just his inclination when he gets nervous. Change the layout; change the programs. Nathan's competitive tick. Everyone was saying it was Nathan for Gold but after Yuzu's Japan Nats skate I am thinking it's going to be a threepeat for Yuzu (not what I want). Honestly I wouldn't be heartbroken with a surprise winner. Say Kamila winning the Mens' Comp.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't think the programs resonated with him. Some hit (Phillip Glass, Caravan, the Spanish themed short which I <3'd) and some are duds. Sometimes they are duds because they feel like work.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Everyone was saying it was Nathan for Gold but after Yuzu's Japan Nats skate I am thinking it's going to be a threepeat for Yuzu (not what I want).
Well, in figure skating, as we know, anything can happen. Especially when the stakes are high. At this point, perhaps Yuzu has a psychological advantage (partly because of the judges' love). However, if Nathan can get his mind settled and filter out all the distractions, he has such strong determination, the outcome is probably about even at this point.

There are a lot of unknowns, as usual. Will Yuzu try the quad-axel in the fp, or just flash it in warm-up? Some fans believe that Yuzu should go for surer thing jumps like quad-loop, etc. We'll soon see what happens.