2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
He’s so young. It just seems odd to me.
I think he might change his mind if Nathan retires after the games. I remember Michelle bouncing back after losing to Tara and Winning Worlds shortly after. Many people, including myself thought Michelle would retire after 2002 but, she came back and won Worlds for the 5th time in 2003. I know he's very intelligent and does well in school so, he may decide to head into the workforce.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, a little step out on the 3A but, I love the program.

Room for improvement... I haven't bothered to look up the protocols, but I wasn't sure that two of the jumps were all the way around, and I thought he traveled a fair amount on one of the spins.

But, compared to the absolute splat-fest, pop-fest, and choke-fest that was going on in Finland, Jason's errors are really too minor to be worked up about. He'll want to tidy some things up as the season progresses, but he's in very good shape now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Room for improvement... I haven't bothered to look up the protocols, but I wasn't sure that two of the jumps were all the way around, and I thought he traveled a fair amount on one of the spins.

But, compared to the absolute splat-fest, pop-fest, and choke-fest that was going on in Finland, Jason's errors are really too minor to be worked up about. He'll want to tidy some things up as the season progresses, but he's in very good shape now.
I was just going to comment on that. I couldn't believe that Mikhail Kolyada was 10 points behind the leaders until I saw his performance. It's a beautiful program and once he hits the jumps I think it will score very well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just going to comment on that. I couldn't believe that Mikhail Kolyada was 10 points behind the leaders until I saw his performance. It's a beautiful program and once he hits the jumps I think it will score very well.
I actually wouldn't have had him that close. The placement, however, isn't really too far off where he should be. I'd have placed him 4th.

This was a golden opportunity for someone to have a breakout performance and rocket near the top of the leaderboard. Kolyada placed as high as he did because, as bad as it was, nobody else was any better.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I actually wouldn't have had him that close. The placement, however, isn't really too far off where he should be. I'd have placed him 4th.

This was a golden opportunity for someone to have a breakout performance and rocket near the top of the leaderboard. Kolyada placed as high as he did because, as bad as it was, nobody else was any better.
Well, hopefully they'll all skate well in the free and may the best man win.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Have you guys seen Jason's SP? First of all, he is in amazing shape! He is faster than I have ever seen him and I love the program. He is definitely preparing for the Olympics. Bravo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24DKQnmpFg
Jason has this in the bag. Class of the field. HE won't need a quad here. Unless Kolyada skates beautifully with multiple quads. Jason has a good two jump lead over Kolyada. I think the USA is looking good for the future with or without Vinnie. There Malinin, Naumov (sons of 1990's stars and there are others too including Cam)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think he might change his mind if Nathan retires after the games. I remember Michelle bouncing back after losing to Tara and Winning Worlds shortly after. Many people, including myself thought Michelle would retire after 2002 but, she came back and won Worlds for the 5th time in 2003. I know he's very intelligent and does well in school so, he may decide to head into the workforce.
Well Michelle did win worlds after losing in 2002 but that was without Tara. That being said Michelle is an icon Olympic gold or not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well Michelle did win worlds after losing in 2002 but that was without Tara. That being said Michelle is an icon Olympic gold or not.
Actually Irina Slutskaya won worlds in 2002. It was 1998 that Michelle won worlds after losing to Tara. Here's Irina's winning LP. I preferred Michelle at this event but, Irina was technically stronger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuO2eZ8kLgg

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason has this in the bag. Class of the field. HE won't need a quad here. Unless Kolyada skates beautifully with multiple quads. Jason has a good two jump lead over Kolyada. I think the USA is looking good for the future with or without Vinnie. There Malinin, Naumov (sons of 1990's stars and there are others too including Cam)

Uhhh, not so fast.:eek: Keegan could very easily land enough jumps and get enough PCS to win this, Kolyada is capable of high scoring skates, nothing is in the bag, and ice is slippery.

That said, Sinnerman is just the perfect combination of choreo and skater and I will never ever tire of watching it. :drama:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Jason looks perfectly fine for early October. Certainly there were others in that field with much more to be concerned about.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States

The triple axel looked like it could be a possible rotation call, and the triple toe in his combo loomed at least quartered. His spin did receive a small positive GOE, and the rotations were called clean. But the GOE and the judges calls seemed to be very generous. There were definitely some very high GOE scores, and questionable rotation/edge problems that were uncalled.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If Ilia can get down almost all his jumps, I think he will win. His PCS in his FS is not as strong as his SP, but his jump difficulty is hard. All of his jumps just seem to be done with such ease, and they look great when he lands them. He has been progressing well. I hope he can skate strong in his FS.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let’s not count my Keegan out before they skate.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The triple axel looked like it could be a possible rotation call, and the triple toe in his combo loomed at least quartered. His spin did receive a small positive GOE, and the rotations were called clean. But the GOE and the judges calls seemed to be very generous. There were definitely some very high GOE scores, and questionable rotation/edge problems that were uncalled.
I think he may have gotten a boost just by the fact that he didn't fall or pop any jumps. This was a rough day for most of the men.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’ve never been able to, and probably never will, understand this type of attitude. The man is what, 20? and hasn’t even won a senior US championship title. I think Nathan’s said he will at least take time off if not outright retire after the Olympics and Vincent would then be poised to not just win medals but gold medals. I mean if not I’m sure someone else will be glad to..but Vincent is doing something only a tiny tiny handful of people in the world will ever be able to do. Believe me my dude, the workforce isn’t that exciting.

Vincent isn’t a super favorite of mine and I support his decision to do whatever he wants. I just don’t get it. It’s like …say H/D and C/B retiring and H/B retiring just when they could finally get out of their perennial 3rd place spot. I just don’t grok it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’ve never been able to, and probably never will, understand this type of attitude. The man is what, 20? and hasn’t even won a senior US championship title. I think Nathan’s said he will at least take time off if not outright retire after the Olympics and Vincent would then be poised to not just win medals but gold medals. I mean if not I’m sure someone else will be glad to..but Vincent is doing something only a tiny tiny handful of people in the world will ever be able to do. Believe me my dude, the workforce isn’t that exciting.

Vincent isn’t a super favorite of mine and I support his decision to do whatever he wants. I just don’t get it. It’s like …say H/D and C/B retiring and H/B retiring just when they could finally get out of their perennial 3rd place spot. I just don’t grok it.
I agree and this will be a huge decision for him. Losing to the same skater again and again for years has got to be frustrating for Vincent. However, if Nathan stays in, I have to wonder if Vincent will have the desire to keep climbing that mountain. I am thinking that Jason will retire after Worlds this year but, who knows. Nathan is only 22 and the only trophy he doesn't have is the OGM. If gets it, I think he might retire and finish school.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

He may want to go back to school and not wait too long on that, if that's important to him for his life.

One thing to consider is that these skaters give up a lot of "typical" childhood/teenage experiences to focus on training from a young age. I believe Vincent did online school, for example. That's the way it goes for high level athletes, and I'm sure it's worth it to them, but I can see the appeal of wanting that university experience before you're too much older than your peers. You can go later, but it is different.

I saw a post by the father of Israeli pairs skater Hailey Kops, where among other things he explained her decision to step away from the sport a couple years ago. She retired at 17, before her senior year, in large part because she'd made a lot of sacrifices for her career and wanted to have her senior year in high school and such things. She decided to come back to try for the Olympics, and of course she wasn't at the same level as Vincent, but it was an interesting perspective to read.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He may want to go back to school and not wait too long on that, if that's important to him for his life.

One thing to consider is that these skaters give up a lot of "typical" childhood/teenage experiences to focus on training from a young age. I believe Vincent did online school, for example. That's the way it goes for high level athletes, and I'm sure it's worth it to them, but I can see the appeal of wanting that university experience before you're too much older than your peers. You can go later, but it is different.

I saw a post by the father of Israeli pairs skater Hailey Kops, where among other things he explained her decision to step away from the sport a couple years ago. She retired at 17, before her senior year, in large part because she'd made a lot of sacrifices for her career and wanted to have her senior year in high school and such things. She decided to come back to try for the Olympics, and of course she wasn't at the same level as Vincent, but it was an interesting perspective to read.

I guess. I think it would be very unusual for s an elite athlete to have what I consider a “typical university experience.” They say “there’s a time and a place for everything and it’s called college.” For me a “typical university experience” means trying a lot of things and overindulgence in a few different areas. Of course I went to a state school and not the Ivy League. I mean…he’s probably got fans. Who else has fans going into college?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan Messing is such a class act. He said this in the comments section of the IG Account "Deeper Edges" about his and Jason's standing after the SP in Finlandia:

I personally feel that with the new system that tie breakers should be done away with. We tied to the hundredth of a point we should both have a number 1 by our names. Why tie break such a rare occurrence.

❤️