2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wouldn't the US men need a high placement at Junior Worlds for their "spots" for the next year?

(I know not everyone cares, I do, so sue me. :biggrin: )

So if Ilia skipped JW, it would be up to Liam, Lucas and Kai for three spots. Which they very well could, but they could not. (then again, how will spots be allocated? )

I would love to see Kai again, but I think Ilia is a young man on a mission with competition fever, and I think he'll do both. :)
Probably the Russian men won't be there, but who knows what the ISU will do about their numbers for 2023? Limiting them to one for each discipline seems harsh for the skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably the Russian men won't be there, but who knows what the ISU will do about their numbers for 2023? Limiting them to one for each discipline seems harsh for the skaters.
In my opinion, which the ISU hasn't asked for, the fair thing to do would be to maintain the spots they have now.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
From Future 21 year old Ilya to current 17 year old Ilya: Your brain has not finished developing. Mine barely has and maybe not yet. The ice is slippery but so is your mind. Be patient and stop calling yourself the Quad God. Yes you could have and should have based on your abilities gotten a World Bronze. But you didn't and everyone suffers disappointment including Shoma when he was your age not to mention Nathan, Vincent, etc. You will prevail. And one final thing, stop lifting your arms over your head on jumps; you don't need it. Skate two clean programs in a major international competition first. See you in four years.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I loved loved loved Vincent's post about his battle at Worlds. He's such a great role model and I really appreciate his raw honesty about his feelings and the situation.

I love his openness about the mental challenges he faced but also the recognition that things would likely be worse for him if he didn't pull himself together, attend training and at least give Worlds his best effort.

I appreciate the balance between acknowledging that you're not in a good place mentally but at the same time toughening up and moving forward.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved loved loved Vincent's post about his battle at Worlds. He's such a great role model and I really appreciate his raw honesty about his feelings and the situation.

I love his openness about the mental challenges he faced but also the recognition that things would likely be worse for him if he didn't pull himself together, attend training and at least give Worlds his best effort.

I appreciate the balance between acknowledging that you're not in a good place mentally but at the same time toughening up and moving forward.
He’s a very talented writer on top of everything else. I hope some day he will write a memoir. I’d read it.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like that cover, too, and thought it totally worked for him. I don't think the original would have worked as well.
Gotta agree with it. The pace is a little.....too fast? And doesn't fit well with skating as much. Idk. Maybe I'm thinking of choreographing to a beat?

Dogo

On the Ice
Just saw the SP from Junior Worlds and I must say, Liam Kapeikis stole my heart.

So beautiful to see young men following on the footsteps of the great artistic development of Jason Brown.

Ilia was wonderful as always and got a great score (w/o quads) and deservedly so. Amazing edges on that very hard step sequence. So much potential on him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just saw the SP from Junior Worlds and I must say, Liam Kapeikis stole my heart.

So beautiful to see young men following on the footsteps of the great artistic development of Jason Brown.

Ilia was wonderful as always and got a great score (w/o quads) and deservedly so. Amazing edges on that very hard step sequence. So much potential on him.
It's nice to see Ilia in the lead after the sp. I hope he'll do as well in the free. It would be great to see him win this event after his Senior Worlds disappointment.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

These were excellent SP's. Good placements at 1st and 4th, about as good as USFSA could have hoped for. Good luck to both of them in their LP.

Off topic: I was glad to see two Canadians make the final group, too. Skate Canada hasn't had a lot to crow about lately, and they needed something nice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
These were excellent SP's. Good placements at 1st and 4th, about as good as USFSA could have hoped for. Good luck to both of them in their LP.

Off topic: I was glad to see two Canadians make the final group, too. Skate Canada hasn't had a lot to crow about lately, and they needed something nice.
I'm thrilled for Canada as well. I believe Patrick Chan was there last World Champion. Now that Keegan is Married with a child, I have to think he might be ready to slow his life down and stay in one place

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In other Malinin news ... Ilia's 2022 Nationals Free Skate has won Best Performance - Men award from Professional Skaters Association!

Best Performance Men
Ilia Malinin – Championship Mens Free Skate Program
PSA Coaches – Tatyana Malinina, Roman Skorniakov, Rafael Arutyunyan
Choreographer – Irina Romanova
Music Selection – "Nobody Knows" by Autograf and “Gold Age” by Woodkid
Costume Design – Victoria Nekrilova from Marusia design studio

Congratulations to Ilia and Team Malinin on this doubly exciting day! 🥳 🥳

(2022 Best Performance winners in other disciplines:
Mariah FS, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc FS, Hubbell/Donohue FD, Haydenettes FS.)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just saw a few SPs too, and boy howdy, Liam Kapeikis stole my heart as well! ❤️ Every single movement was done with the music, and it was all so fluid, while at the same time having plenty of energy and forward movement. It really seemed like the music came from inside him! Also, there was something so calming and beautiful and happily throwback about the Man of La Mancha in instrumental music. I really loved it. So happy for the placement and well deserved ... a clean skate.

As for Ilia ... well, he's adorable. That baby face is almost incongruous, paired with all those stunning jumps, spins, steps. Just everything.:bsplit:

Well done, boys! I felt palpable joy from them both, too. :)

Dogo

On the Ice
Just saw a few SPs too, and boy howdy, Liam Kapeikis stole my heart as well! ❤️ Every single movement was done with the music, and it was all so fluid, while at the same time having plenty of energy and forward movement. It really seemed like the music came from inside him! Also, there was something so calming and beautiful and happily throwback about the Man of La Mancha in instrumental music. I really loved it. So happy for the placement and well deserved ... a clean skate.

As for Ilia ... well, he's adorable. That baby face is almost incongruous, paired with all those stunning jumps, spins, steps. Just everything.:bsplit:

Well done, boys! I felt palpable joy from them both, too. :)
Exactly, fluidity! That's the key word!