2021 GP Italy - Ice Dance: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 GP Italy - Ice Dance: Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Green/Parsons left a lot on the table for the FD and I know it must have been very disappointing over those costly mistakes. I too am so glad to see Stepanova/Bukin back in the game! I knew it was early, but I still had them over Hubbell/Donohue. Happy for H/D as this is their last season and I do want them to do well.

I really am enjoying watching Wang/Liu grow!

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
With that gigantic score, I don't see how any other team can come close. Must be very discouraging. I remember the first time I saw them. I was attending the 2013 GP France Gala. They led off, and I remember thinking, Wow that woman has confidence!!

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I absolutely love P/C .They have such a great set of programmes this season. This is what they needed to do' to come out from the beginning with confidence in themselves and their programmes. Yes it's still very early and there will be many tweaks/changes in the dances and the costumes. It's so interesting to watch the development of the work in progress not just them but all the teams .I'm so glad they have a great RD. To get a lead in the RD is I think important. Especially at olympics.

H/D are a strong team. I can see they have great edges and power. I just have never been able to like them. I can't remember many of their programmes. Their SDs are more memorable to me. Their Beth Hart FD is more their style. What they do in this FD is nice the lift is fantastic but they don't have chemistry they try too hard with that they are such hard workers though.

Stepanova/Bukin
Love this team. I do like this FD but it needs a lot more work yet .They looked very slow and laboured to me. This could be lovely but I don't think it's their best material .Again their RD they've had better ones .Didn't like the costumes. I liked their last SD to this theme better.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I absolutely love P/C .They have such a great set of programmes this season. This is what they needed to do' to come out from the beginning with confidence in themselves and their programmes. Yes it's still very early and there will be many tweaks/changes in the dances and the costumes. It's so interesting to watch the development of the work in progress not just them but all the teams .I'm so glad they have a great RD. To get a lead in the RD is I think important. Especially at olympics.

H/D are a strong team. I can see they have great edges and power. I just have never been able to like them. I can't remember many of their programmes. Their SDs are more memorable to me. Their Beth Hart FD is more their style. What they do in this FD is nice the lift is fantastic but they don't have chemistry they try too hard with that they are such hard workers though.

Stepanova/Bukin
Love this team. I do like this FD but it needs a lot more work yet .They looked very slow and laboured to me. This could be lovely but I don't think it's their best material .Again their RD they've had better ones .Didn't like the costumes. I liked their last SD to this theme better.
I am very old and had a long hiatus where I couldn't even watch skating on the television as it gave me flashbacks of wrecking my right leg, which means that so much has changed since I had even a slight grasp of the rules...

Watching Hubbell and Donohue, I was struck by that over head lift. It was lovely and quite spectacular, but looked to me like a pairs lift. I'm sure that back in "my day" (when Noah hadn't even decided on carpentry as a career option) overhead lifts, ie lifts above shoulder level, were illegal. So when did this change? Or am I missing something?

I love Papadakis and Cizeron and am also very struck with Green and Parsons.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Watching Hubbell and Donohue, I was struck by that over head lift. It was lovely and quite spectacular, but looked to me like a pairs lift. I'm sure that back in "my day" (when Noah hadn't even decided on carpentry as a career option) overhead lifts, ie lifts above shoulder level, were illegal. So when did this change? Or am I missing something?
It's a fairly recent rule change (post-2018 I think?). As long as the arms are not fully extended, then the lift is allowed. Madi and Zach stated in interviews that they were confident they could keep the lift legal, and so far they have not been called for it. Some posters (myself included) were a bit concerned that it might get called later in the season, or that Zach might accidently extend his arms too far and get called on it, but so far they've been safe and getting good GOE on it too.

There was a longer discussion about it in (I think) the US Ice Dance thread, if you wanted to track it down for all the details.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's a fairly recent rule change (post-2018 I think?). As long as the arms are not fully extended, then the lift is allowed. Madi and Zach stated in interviews that they were confident they could keep the lift legal, and so far they have not been called for it. Some posters (myself included) were a bit concerned that it might get called later in the season, or that Zach might accidently extend his arms too far and get called on it, but so far they've been safe and getting good GOE on it too.

There was a longer discussion about it in (I think) the US Ice Dance thread, if you wanted to track it down for all the details.
Brilliant! Thank you. I'll do that.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Well I think they should change the rule back.ID is getting too much like pairs. Too many acrobatic lifts some very ugly positions. Too many separations and not enough closed holds.CD brought back as one pattern around the rink included in a dance is ridiculous .I'd even like the Original dance brought back. One theme throughout the whole dance .