2021 World Team Trophy - General Info | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy - General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2021 World Team Trophy is scheduled to take place Apr 15-18, 2021, in Osaka, Japan. The event is a figure skating team competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union and was first held in April 2009 in Tokyo, Japan. Selected skaters from various countries with the best results during the season compete in the disciplines of men’s singles, ladies singles, pair skating, and ice dancing in a team format.

Team Canada - CAN

Team Captain: Nam NGUYEN

Name
Category
Men​
Men​
Ladies​
Ladies​
Pairs​
Ice Dance​

Team France - FRA
Team Captain: Kevin AYMOZ

Name
Category
Men​
Men​
Ladies​
Ladies​
Pairs​
Ice Dance​

Team Italy - ITA

Team Captain: Matteo GUARISE

Team Japan - JPN
Team Captain: Ryuichi KIHARA

Name
Category
Men​
Men​
Ladies​
Ladies​
Pairs​
Ice Dance​

Team Russia - RUS
Team Captain: Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA

Team United States of America - USA
Team Captain: Jason BROWN

Name
Category
Men​
Men​
Ladies​
Ladies​
Pairs​
Ice Dance​

ISU Press Release:

Top 6 teams qualify for ISU World Team Trophy 2021

Russia leads the six ISU Members that have qualified for the ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating in Osaka (JPN), April 15 to 18, 2021. The ISU World Team Trophy is a biennial event.

Russia tops the standings with 9847 points followed by the USA (8001 points) and Japan with 6441 points. The other directly qualified ISU Members are Canada (5580) and Italy (4021). China was qualified with 4537 points but will not send a team allowing France (3905 points) to compete instead.

Overview of the participants
Russia sends three newly minted World Champions Anna Shcherbakova, Pair Skaters Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov and Ice Dancers Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov. Also included are the 2021 World silver medalist Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, 2018 World bronze medalist Mikhail Kolyada and Evgeni Semenenko, who were fifth and eighth in Stockholm and the highest ranked European men.

The USA come with Nathan Chen, who just claimed his third World title in Stockholm. He is joined by top-ten World competitors Jason Brown, Karen Chen, Bradie Tennell, Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier and Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker.

Japan sends two-time Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu and 2018 Olympic silver medalist Shoma Uno as well as two-time Four Continents Champion Rika Kihira, Kaori Sakamoto, Pair Skaters Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara and Ice Dancers Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto.

Team Canada is led by Nam Ngyuen and 2017 World bronze medalist Gabrielle Daleman. Team Italy includes 2019 European bronze medalist Matteo Rizzo, 2019 World Junior bronze medalist Daniel Grassl, 2019 European Ice Dance bronze medalists Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri as well as Pair Skaters Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise. 2019 ISU Grand Prix Final bronze medalist Kevin Aymoz headlines Team France.

Note: Matteo Rizzo announced he would not compete on 4/12.

Competition Format and Qualifying
The ISU World Team Trophy format is based on a competition consisting of the six best national teams from ISU Members with a special provision for the host ISU Member to be included. Each team will be composed of two Men, two Ladies, one Pair Skating couple and one Ice Dance couple, i.e. a total of eight skaters per team.

The team event consists of two phases of competition, the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance. Teams are awarded 12 to 1 team points (12 points for first place, 1 point for 12th place) for Men and Ladies and respectively 12 to 7 points for Pairs and Ice Dance couples in the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and in the Free Skating/Free Dance. The standings are calculated according to the sum of the team points achieved in each phase of the event. Several tie breakers are in place.

The teams qualified based on a scoring scale used for the ISU World Standing points scored by their best Skaters at ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and Final season 2019/20 and the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021, plus possibly the ISU European Figure Skating Championships / ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2020, the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2020 and ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2019/20.

Event Schedule
The schedule of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 is as follows:
Thursday, April 15:
Opening Ceremony, Rhythm Dance, Ladies and Men Short Program
Friday, April 16:
Pair Skating Short Program, Free Dance, Men Free Skating
Saturday, April 17:
Pair Skating and Ladies Free Skating, Victory ceremony
Sunday, April 18:
Exhibition Gala

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The event has been confirmed and announced by the ISU. The 6 teams selected will be based off of Worlds 2021 and the 2019-2020 Grand Prix Season. Entries are due March 30.
Schedule
2021-WTT-Schedule-1080x785.jpg

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The competition starts on Thursday April 15th
Do you think there will be an audience?
Unless the ISU says otherwise, the audience matter will fall on the JSF. There was a 50% capacity audience for NHK Trophy and Japan Nationals, but since this is an international event, the JSF might not allow an audience. If there is an audience, it'll be a domestic crowd.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Unless the ISU says otherwise, the audience matter will fall on the JSF. There was a 50% capacity audience for NHK Trophy and Japan Nationals, but since this is an international event, the JSF might not allow an audience. If there is an audience, it'll be a domestic crowd.
I think it would be safer without.
But I guess if the quarantine rule is lifted by then, they would perhaps allow spectators!
I do enjoy WTT but it seems strange to hold such an event with all the travel restrictions.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
About Team Canada - Gilles/Poirier and Moore-Towers/Marinaro will not attend WTT due to travel restrictions. Keegan Messing will also not go. (This will likely apply to the entire Canadian World Team due to quarantine restrictions in Canada.)

Yeah, I guess they're going to have to send a whole new team since the people who went to Worlds will be doing their two-week quarantine afterward.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, this may seem odd, but especially in the Canadian men where it had been a bit of the role of the dice who would go to worlds, that would be quite something. Of course, we don't know if Roman and Nam would take that chance for this particular competition. With the ladies, it's slightly different, but there's also single skaters who couldn't go to Worlds but might wish for this kind of second chance. And I'm sure about at least one ID couple for whom this could be a good chance...

Having said all that, I am quite surprised this competition is still in the cards. I mean, I love the WTT as there's usually a couple of good skates because there is less pressure than at Europeans, 4CC or Worlds, and it's a great end to a season, but it does seem strange that it's still planned this particular one. How on earth are the teams going to be able to cheer for their team mates with social distancing in place? I'll wait and see I suppose.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
About Team Canada - Gilles/Poirier and Moore-Towers/Marinaro will not attend WTT due to travel restrictions. Keegan Messing will also not go. (This will likely apply to the entire Canadian World Team due to quarantine restrictions in Canada.)

Hmmm ... for Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen, is it possible that they will not return to Canada immediately after Worlds?

Only my wild speculation, but maybe they would visit his family in Denmark after Worlds, and then could travel from there to WTT?

(Sorry, I have no idea what pandemic conditions/restrictions are in Denmark at present, and whether or not they would be able to keep up their training there?)

FWIW, I think Hubbell/Donohue have said something sorta like (not a direct quote): Just in case, we are packing both for Worlds and WTT.
My interpretation is that they (wisely) are *not* assuming that USFS will assign them to WTT, but in case H/D do end up receiving the assignment, they will be prepared for the possibility of not going back to Canada between the two events.
ETA (on Mar 18):
I have added a hyperlink to a media tweet that says, "if the U.S. qualifies," in reference to WTT and H/D. So maybe that non-assumption is what H/D have in mind. (Although I myself think that even if USA does qualify, Worlds results could make a difference as to which ice dancers are assigned by USFS.)​

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Russian Team:

Ladies: Sherbakova/Tuktamyshova

Men: Kolyada/Semenenko

Ice Dance: Sinitisia/Katsalapov

Pairs: Mishina/Galliamoov

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian Team:

Ladies: Sherbakova/Tuktamyshova

Men: Kolyada/Semenenko

Ice Dance: Sinitisia/Katsalapov

Pairs: Mishina/Galliamoov
So we will get to see the reigning world champ and the silver medalist one last time this season. Awesome news!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa K confirms on Instastory that she and Brandon WILL go to WTT. I think Nathan had previously indicated that he would NOT go.

Don't know anything else about the American team.