2021 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 World Team Trophy - General Info

MaHa75

On the Ice
ISU don´t care about safety for the skaters. If they did, they should have cancelled Worlds as well. It wasn´t a good situation in Stockholm either. They didn´t cancel all though there was a rapid rise in new cases in Stockholm, and hospitals struggling as well.

I don´t care if Worlds did turn out well with the "bubble" and there wasn´t a big break out (all though there was a few cases). If it means gambling on that participants won´t need health care, it´s simply not safe enough.

It should be a minimum that the area which are hosting has the safety and capacity to give the participants the best care for a lot of different scenarios. Both for the society and the participants. Even if you aren´t sick with the virus, there is a huge risk of even being in contact with the health system. Many people have gotten the virus at hospitals/in contact with medical staff. Maes injury was scary enough, but it was even more scary knowing she had to go to a hospital in a city with a lot of covid cases, in a country known of not using face mask.
Sorry but this sounds like old "friends"...norwey and sweden problem 🤪

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I wouldn’t bet on either. Do you get Eurosport in Germany and Italy? (I know Germany does, at least.) Then you can be pretty much guaranteed the youtube stream will be geoblocked.

That ISU list was incorrect re: Eurosport for Worlds, too, leaving out a bunch of countries, and it doesn’t look they have made any efforts to correct that.

(They just copy/paste the same list every time; like, seriously, the Dutch NOS airing highlights of WTT?!?! In what fantastic alternate universe do you suppose that happens?! Not in the one we live in, anyway. Worlds, yes. WTT? 🤣)
we get it, so maybe you're right, on the other hand the Italian Public Television (Rai) online channel showed Worlds for free, so maybe they'll do it again for WTT, our team is there.
Frangipani is on his way already according his instagram story
i wish good luck to Gabriele and most of all to control his nerves. looking at the bright side on less heartattack for me :LOL:

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Sad that would have been big Frangipani I was happy he got the chance even tho it was under the unfortunate fact that Rizzo couldn't take part it WTT. Whats going to happen now to team Italy tho?

Country
Norway
Ouch it is sad news! I was already happy for Frangipani!
But again i must ask Why he couldnt go? Strange...

Do you know why Frangipani and Rizzo are out?

Is it possible they both surprisingly tested positive on a Covid test before departure? I guess they have to take a routine test before leaving the country, like before Worlds. Slavik tested positive on the routine test before leaving Armenia, and was very surprised because he had no symptoms. I guess it was very early or a false positive. It all seem so strange because the way they expressed themselves, it sounded like it was a sudden incident and not anything like an injury or something. First Rizzo, then Frangipani was going, but suddenly he couldn´t go either.

I really hope it´s not the case, but considering they have to take routine test right before departure, it kinda seems like a possible outcome.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Matteo's been vaccinated though, so the chances for testing positive should be low... I don't know. In Gabriele's case I'd guess paperwork, passport or something because it was at a very short notice (and he was already on his way to the airport and then suddenly he posted that he can't go) ... But Matteo is a mystery.
So they'll just skate with one member less now?

Country
Norway
Matteo's been vaccinated though, so the chances for testing positive should be low... I don't know. In Gabriele's case I'd guess paperwork, passport or something because it was at a very short notice (and he was already on his way to the airport and then suddenly he posted that he can't go) ... But Matteo is a mystery.
So they'll just skate with one member less now?

In rare cases, and with the different mutations, it´s possible to test positive though fully vaccinated. They are investigating some break outs at nursing homes in Norway now, because several people who are fully vaccinated has recently tested positive, all though they were vaccinated a few months ago. I think it was linked to the South African or Brazilian strain. If this is the case, Matteo must have been really surprised and shocked, because he would certainly not expect to test positive when vaccinated.

I just saw this on Twitter though: If Matteo tested positive, it seems that the protocols doesn´t allow the subs to go. It seems very strange indeed, but it would very much explain why the WD was so sudden for Gabriele as well. Gabriele might have learned on the way to the airport he wasn´t allowed because of this strange rule.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I just saw this on Twitter though: If Matteo tested positive, it seems that the protocols doesn´t allow the subs to go. It seems very strange indeed, but it would very much explain why the WD was so sudden for Gabriele as well. Gabriele might have learned on the way to the airport he wasn´t allowed because of this strange rule.

The rule is very very weird. I don't see any reason why? (Let's speculate that the reason for Matteo not going there really is that he tested positive. So, Gabriele can't go and on the other hand Daniel and the coaches from Young goose academy were allowed to go...) Weird rules.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Does Daniel have to skate twice, can anyone else be substituted? This is so sad.
I'm guessing it's too late to substitute anyone now.
When Japan had no pairs team in 2013, they didn't receive any points from that section (and still won a medal, amazingly!) so I imagine that Italy will just get 0 points from their second man, sadly, unless they send either Matteo G or Marco out to skate in the men's event (Joking, of course, I'm not even sure this would be allowed!) as I don't think they'll allow Daniel to skate twice.
It's a real shame for Team Italy :(

Country
Norway
The rule is very very weird. I don't see any reason why? (Let's speculate that the reason for Matteo not going there really is that he tested positive. So, Gabriele can't go and on the other hand Daniel and the coaches from Young goose academy were allowed to go...) Weird rules.

Yes, very very strange indeed. Also I´m hoping you are right about the reasons, that it´s just a strange coincidence that Matteo first WD because of a sudden happening (like a small injury, broken booth or something), and that Gabriele just happen to not go as well because it was something with his papers at the airport. So just two very unlucky incidents happening at the same time.

Because, if the rest of the team did go, Matteo did test positive (and not a false positive), and he trained in the same environment, it could also mean the rest of the team could be infected, and might test positive at arrival or at a routine test later. And then they are stuck in Japan and worst case could spread it to the rest of the participants.

I´m not saying they are, but as you say, the protocols are weird and such a scenario could happen because of the strange and not logical protocols.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Because, if the rest of the team did go, Matteo did test positive (and not a false positive), and he trained in the same environment, it could also mean the rest of the team could be infected, and might test positive at arrival or at a routine test later. And then they are stuck in Japan and worst case could spread it to the rest of the participants.
The only person he trains in the same location as is Grassl, (who has already had it). They do have the same coaches though.
Nothing in Matteo's post suggests he tested positive, so hopefully it's a paper-work issue or other minor problem that's caused him to have to withdraw.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I'm guessing it's too late to substitute anyone now.
When Japan had no pairs team in 2013, they didn't receive any points from that section (and still won a medal, amazingly!) so I imagine that Italy will just get 0 points from their second man, sadly, unless they send either Matteo G or Marco out to skate in the men's event (Joking, of course, I'm not even sure this would be allowed!) as I don't think they'll allow Daniel to skate twice.
It's a real shame for Team Italy :(
What about counting Daniel’s programs twice, would that be fair?
Though I’d personally enjoy watching Marco skate just the gentleman’s steps of the Finnstep pattern as his “men’s short” :)

Last edited: