2022-23 Grand Prix assignments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Grand Prix assignments

soccerjc77

On the Ice
I'm happy to see Conrad Orzel, Corey Circelly and Gabrielle Daleman getting at least 1 grand prix spot.
I'm happy for Lindsay Thorngren and Isabeau Levito to have 2 grand prix, my to favorite in the junior last year.
The comeback of Rika Kihira and Bradie Tennell exited me as well.
My wish in the TBD (USA) : I hope Gracie Gold take the spot.

In general, I'm happy about those assignments :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm happy to see Conrad Orzel, Corey Circelly and Gabrielle Daleman getting at least 1 grand prix spot.
I'm happy for Lindsay Thorngren and Isabeau Levito to have 2 grand prix, my to favorite in the junior last year.
The comeback of Rika Kihira and Bradie Tennell exited me as well.
My wish in the TBD (USA) : I hope Gracie Gold take the spot.

In general, I'm happy about those assignments :)
I was happy to see Conrad :) and of course, Gabby.
I am also happy in general. It was worth the wait ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
First of all, I'm totally over the moon that Piper & Paul are still competing!!! :rock: I sincerely hope they'll make the most of it.

When I saw Moris on the Sheffield list, I reviewed my initial decision not to go for about 5 minutes, but I'll give it a miss. Good entrances, though.
Same! Like, I was so suprised P squared will be competing this season! But so, so happy :hap10:🥰 I also hope Fabbri/Ayer will make the best of it since I think they have really good potential!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I wonder if Piper and Paul are coming back as it's a guaranteed way to get the 3rd spot back in time for Montreal with the field being weaker?

Dance is the only one I've reviewed properly so far and my main thought is SkAm - kinda weak? Usually it's great and also has been a good event for F-B/S last quad. I wonder if USFS wanted a surefire way to get H/B a GPF spot? As Finland should be ok for them too.

Sheffield for dance is a really exciting field for the start of a new quad - a medalist from every JW since 2017 (C/P - 17,18 L/L- 19, K/R - 20, Browns - 22). Plus, teams that had some great moments last season (Taschlers, F/A) and of course, the 2 seemingly locked in medalists - F/G and G/F).

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Many interesting entries here. I look forward to getting to know some of these skaters as I've never heard of them or they're a new pairing - Piegad/Strekalin, Chernyshova/Windsor, Fabbri/Ayer, Van Rensburg/Steffan and others.
It'll be interesting to see former juniors on senior GP for the first time - Gogolev, Chiu, Tsuboi, Shaidorov, Kapeikis, Levandi, Pinzarrone, Levito, Thorngren... Especially happy to see entered the two US girls, Wesley and Nina Pinzarrone, who already caught my eye in juniors last season. Is Canada's Kaiya Ruiter still too young to enter senior GP?
Also, it's going to be fun to watch the skaters from minor skating countries - the Crafoords for Sweden and both Australian pairs, both Finnish ID teams (I know Finand has an ID tradition, but they haven't made it to GP recently), the Nosovitskyis for Israel, Britschgi and Newberry and Carillo, Sauter, Van Zundert and Kitromilis and Yi Zhu...
Glad to see the return of the veterans - Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier, Guignard/Fabbri, Muramoto/Takahashi, Peng/Jin, Boyang, Gabby Daleman, and Bradie. :) Good to see Knierim/Frazier continue.
Glad to see both Bradie and Rika K getting two GP.
Strange approach by Japan Federation in sending Kao to one GP but Shun to two as they both gained big medals last season, and were fairly comparable.
I am sad to see Papadakis/Cizeron take a break, and astonished to see Jason do the same (I was totally not expecting Jason to skip the fall events). Mariah Bell's absence came as a surprise, too.

That all said, I hope I'll be able to watch on screen. I'm 90% sure I won't go to France to cheer for Sota (and others). It's too expensive for me if one wants to make it a proper holiday, and with good seats (I'm not a fan of sitting in top rows... I can watch a screen at home for free), plus the uncertainty re. covid restrictions and my domestic inflation situation in the autumn. Come to think of it, it's also uncertain if I'll be able to watch on TV. My national channel covered the GP in the last two seasons and they were doing a good job, but now they have announced sports coverage cuts. If Eurosport gets the rights, I'll need to learn to use a VPN as they're unwatchable... or maybe try the trial Player period if there's still one, and if the commentary is absent.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Strange approach by Japan Federation in sending Kao to one GP but Shun to two as they both gained big medals last season, and were fairly comparable.
I have a feeling unless Kao totally bombs his first GP, he'll get the TBD at NHK.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I have a feeling unless Kao totally bombs his first GP, he'll get the TBD at NHK.

Yeah, I'm afraid so. The other boys'll have to try rack up as many points in Challengers as possible to remain relevant.
ETA to clarify: I was expecting two GP for Kao based on his results, and a nail-biting competition for the TBD spot between the other three whose level is similar. With Kao the quadster in the mix, I feel the NHK slot is basically decided no matter what the other three do, hence my lack of jubilation.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna and Maxime with two assignments:hap10:

Corey Circelli doing his tribute to Toller in his birthplace?:drama:

With Corey, Daniel Grassl with Jason choreo, Deniss V., Jimmy Ma, Sheffield is looking good to me for the men. ;) (granted SC has more firepower. I don't always go with the firepower ;) )

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
If I could choose any event, I'd go to NHK. So many of my favourites in the men's lineup. My local lad Maurizio Zandron, my two favourite Italians, and lovely Nika Egadze. And Olga Mikutina in the ladies! 😻
Also, any other year I'd make the trip to Sheffield. I've been there before and quite enjoyed the special Yorkshire charm and accent. 😸 But it's also the Austrian Challenger on the same weekend, so I'll probably go there instead since altogether it's much cheaper and the fields will probably be larger than at GP - so more skating for less money.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
How many host spots can one country get, if there are not skaters who would get the spot based on ranking? Or does it depend on ranking? I am too lazy to find out myself, because I can ask it here 😁

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
If I could choose any event, I'd go to NHK. So many of my favourites in the men's lineup. My local lad Maurizio Zandron, my two favourite Italians, and lovely Nika Egadze. And Olga Mikutina in the ladies! 😻
Also, any other year I'd make the trip to Sheffield. I've been there before and quite enjoyed the special Yorkshire charm and accent. 😸 But it's also the Austrian Challenger on the same weekend, so I'll probably go there instead since altogether it's much cheaper and the fields will probably be larger than at GP - so more skating for less money.
I would choose Skate Canada - Wakaba, Rika, Young, Gabby, M/K, F/G, Deniss, Keegan and of course Shoma :love:

I'm also in the Any other Year camp for Sheffield, as this is the one year I was able to get flights to see my relatives in Asia...I would love Mai to win a GP on British land though :giggle:

So pleased Keegan, G/P and G/F are continuing to compete! Also excited to see Ahsun Yun and Yeonjeong Park at SkAm! Just wondering, are Sui/Han taking a year break or did I miss an announcement?

I think a host nation can have up to 3 host spots and the skater would not have had to place in the previous season's top scores.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sad and astonished that Josefin(SWE) didn’t get a spot. I thought she was good enough. I never took the time to understand the selection rules, but I guess she is in line for a tbd or drop outs.

I would have chosen Finland: Keegan, Ilia… actually all men, Eva-Lotta, Rika and hopefully Bradie, Peng/Jin and interesting ice dancers. Close to me but too expensive.