2022 Russian Nationals: Pairs' Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Nationals: Pairs' Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No movements after the short! Was anyone surprised? Disappointed? Happy?

Mishina: "Maybe it was a bit harder than the SP, because we knew the points guys received and that they skated clean. But everything ended well, and we're really glad!"
Kozlovskii: "It was our own victory upon our own difficulties. The rivalry level is crazy. Pair skating showed real sport today!"
Tarasova: "We had positive and negative moments. We know our mistakes and we will work on them. This is an intermediate stage. The main thing is that there are positive aspects"

Share your thoughts!

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
To me the best moment was Minchuk face of relief/disbelief after B/K and M/G skated clean programs back to back.

Not only a boost of confidence for the skaters, but also for the coaches, and the future of skating in a world past Moskvina.

Although I’m sure she has a few Olympics left in her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow wonderful pairs competition. The top 3 are worthy of olympics. I still hope we see a clean T and M come olympics I think they woudl die if they finished fourth again which easily could happen.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Moskvina is a certified queen, who could even doubt this? Brilliant performances from both top 2, I can only repeat my admiration towards her talent and professionalism. Especially balancing the fact that they are competing between each other, she was able to masterfully diffuse all tension to make them both skate so well!
I doubted the music choose for M/G’s FS and still do, but when they are clean and brilliant, how can one be unhappy?

T/M were going to get a bronze by the virtue of their PCS, but it felt like their gave up precisely because they knew they’d be third even with mistakes. Disappointing and unpleasant to see that. I was hoping to see them fight tooth and nail to prove they can compete with top2 on equal terms, like they did when the season started, but they looked so passive and uninspired again.
Back when they went to Eteri, I said this can either be a major turnaround for them or completely blow up into Eteri’s face. For some time it looked like the former is possible, now it looks like the latter. If at Euros they won’t skate both programs clean, it’s game over for sure. Looks like a sad ending of what started like a year full of hope.
Good luck to all 3 teams at euros and Olympics.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That pairs competition was truly epic.

The tip of the top, Mishina/Galliamov. :points::dance3: ... having never even medaled at a Russian Nationals before, and under unbelievable pressure after their top competitors skated brilliantly -- well, it shows what Anastasia and Aleksandr are made of. Everyone knew that Russian Nationals has been their nemesis, they'd never even medaled there before. And to win in such a splendid way ... skating a program that's not as relatable as the programs of the others ... makes them even more brilliant. I still don't care for the music that much, but I absolutely love what M/G are able to do with it. They've risen to the challenge of the music and to the occasion of the competitions in a spectacular, and a spectacularly gorgeous way.

Boikova/Kozlovskii. At first, I thought the judges were on a mission to do everything they could to make T/M first. But then, who could ever deny B/K those scores after such a performance? To see what they've done over the season is just amazing. They did not give up. But they also skated with passion, not just determination to skate their best again after a difficult year. A really great performance. And they've raised the bar of the pairs competitions to come.

Tarasova/Morozov. Like pretty much everyone else, I'd love to see them put two programs together at important competitions without making an error or two here or there. But they're wearing me down. Also, they show next to no feelings when they skate, and although they're beautiful to watch, well, enough said. As Ted said (always optimistic), maybe these experiences will somehow help them come through at the Olympics.

Pavliuchenko/Khodikin. I'd like to see Daria and Denis skate their innovative programs at the Olympics or Worlds. Audiences like to see the big tricks, and they've got them and do them so well. It's easy to forget how young they are, though -- 18 and 22. So their future is bright.

Apotova/Rakhmanin. Whoa, they were only at Nationals because another pair sadly had to withdraw at the last minute. Karina and Nikita were first alternates. But they came in like a tornado with two great programs, and they finished in 6th place. They're a team to watch. I'm addicted to their free skate to the Bee Gees, so charming and fun. I now love their SP as well; it's a great contrast to the free.

After my own heart, Ted kept pointing out when the pairs had really good unison, especially on the jumps.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I am not going to argue about the order of the top three. Pavliuschenko/Khodykin were undescored, but they would probably ended up fourth anyway. But I think they should be much closer to Tarasova/Morozov. I can’t see the eight points of difference between them, based on how they skated at this competition. Tarasova/Morozov have the interpretation, but they had mistakes and the technical mark of P/K should make the overall marking much closer.

I feel that Akopova/Rakhmanin were underscored in both SP and FS. Also, a few pairs of comparable level to them were held up regardless of their skating and that caused them to drop. I would put Akopova/Rakhmanin fifth and Artemeva/Nazarychev sixth. I felt A/N were lucky with the starting order in the SP and their score in the SP reflected that, while A/R were unlucky with their starting order in the SP. I think if A/R skated later, their score would be comparable to Pavliuschenko/Khodykin! Well, fortunately it doesn’t so much because even with 6th place A/R should be on the main national senior team for the next season, so hopefully they will be marked as they deserve in the future. A,so, their high international score will hopefully get them GP in the next season.

I am wondering whether Petushkova/Malikov will split up after this season. She is just too tall for him. It’s a pity, because I like her and she usually lands her jumps, but her size makes it quite hard for her partner.

readernick

Medalist
Russian pairs are fabulous. I agree with the final podium results and I also agree with T/ M scoring cushion over P/ K. P/ K have fun programs but T/M have the best pairs elements in the World. The best SS among all pairs in the World. No, they aren't an emotional team but they are quality to the core. I guess I keep wishing they will put it all together one day.

The only result I don't agree with is Artemeva/Nazarychev being scored as high as they were and the rather conservative scoring for Akopova/Rakhmanin. I thought A/ N were overscored in their GPs and here. Their pair elements just aren't particularly high quality. I don't see what the judges see.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think they woudl die if they finished fourth again
Ummm, that's pretty over-dramatic. What will be will be. The way T/M are skating at the moment, they could come in fifth behind their compatriots and behind both Chinese teams!

T/M are still bumbling around for no good reason. They are looking so hesitant about their talent, as usual, particularly on the sbs jumps. The move to Eteri has done little to resolve their competitive mindsets. Too bad they didn't ask for Moskvina's help prior to B/K's and M/G's coaches doing so! LOL -- Or, maybe T/M did put in a request to Moskvina at some point, and she politely turned them down. ;)

My pick going into the season was T/M, but they've meandered around still making mistakes here and there, and seeming to doubt themselves. It won't cut it.

Looks like Moskvina has straightened out B/K's heads (More on that I'll discuss in the Pairs Worldwide thread where the FSG interview with Moskvina is posted). I'm not liking either of B/K or M/G this season. Both teams can definitely rap off the elements. Neither are that skilled aesthetically. M/G have more overall, long term potential, but their material this season sucks, and does nothing to enhance them. The fp music is boring for M/G. They could be skating to anything -- there's not much connection to or expression of this boring music. No wonder. They have some gorgeous elements, obviously, particularly Mishina's lovely position on the throws. Malaguena for B/K's fp is more ambitious and interesting, but not necessarily well-suited to their physicality or to their personalities.

I find there are more interesting younger pairs teams coming up in Russia, than the current top seniors. Sadly, T/M just don't seem to have much confidence, which is a shame. I bet the international judges will still throw points at all three of these teams though. Too bad none of them are bringing anything exciting this season.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What happened to Panfilova/Rylov? Are they injured or did they decide to stop skating, in the absence of jump difficulty? They were so exquisite otherwise.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened to Panfilova/Rylov? Are they injured or did they decide to stop skating, in the absence of jump difficulty? They were so exquisite otherwise.
They missed this whole year due to his injury, which required surgery and extensive time off the ice. I don't know if they've resumed training, but a quick visit to their FF might say. well, maybe, unless they're not saying.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel that Akopova/Rakhmanin were underscored in both SP and FS. Also, a few pairs of comparable level to them were held up regardless of their skating and that caused them to drop. I would put Akopova/Rakhmanin fifth and Artemeva/Nazarychev sixth. I felt A/N were lucky with the starting order in the SP and their score in the SP reflected that, while A/R were unlucky with their starting order in the SP. I think if A/R skated later, their score would be comparable to Pavliuschenko/Khodykin! Well, fortunately it doesn’t so much because even with 6th place A/R should be on the main national senior team for the next season, so hopefully they will be marked as they deserve in the future. A,so, their high international score will hopefully get them GP in the next season.

I agree. Happily, A/R scores were in fact the 5th highest free skate. I love this team, and they're on the hunt. And they've only been paired since March of 2020, I think.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Addendum to my earlier post: I think B/K and M/G were both excellent in the sp. But all the teams were bringing it, so everyone knew they needed to be on their game. Except T/M, skating last, couldn't manage to do so, as usual. What a fluke, my goodness! T/M look textbook on sbs jumps and the throw and the twist, and then mess up on a lift in the sp??? What's up with that set of marbles?

The expressions of Max and Eteri in the kiss 'n cry said it all. T/M are so good, and yet at this point, they seem a bit resigned to the younger teams being ahead of them. Ted Barton was generous in saying maybe they would bring it at the Olympics. They've been hot and cold all season. Judges like consistency. But, like at Russian Nationals, T/M will still get high points internationally with a mistake or two (above other teams who skate clean).

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They missed this whole year due to his injury, which required surgery and extensive time off the ice. I don't know if they've resumed training, but a quick visit to their FF might say. well, maybe, unless they're not saying.
The FF doesn't provide any injury updates. There's only an indication that they spoke to Cafecita con Masha in April, and there's most recently a post with birthday wishes...

Hopefully, Panfilova is finding time to practice perfecting her jumping abilities while her partner is healing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
M/G are getting ready to take a run at Sui and Han and B/K are fighting knowing that but for the 2020 cancellation of worlds the title probably would have been there. T and M are still not getting the job done. Their programmes while not overly memorable are good enough especiallyconsidering the crap from other teams to win. They need to get the job done with their elements even lacking chemistry. All three Russian teams have a chance at an olympic medal even gold. Sui and Han are the favourites still and have home country advantage. The Russians won't sweep the podium but could even win gold.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Addendum to my earlier post: I think B/K and M/G were both excellent in the sp. But all the teams were bringing it, so everyone knew they needed to be on their game. Except T/M, skating last, couldn't manage to do so, as usual. What a fluke, my goodness! T/M look textbook on sbs jumps and the throw and the twist, and then mess up on a lift in the sp???

The trouble is, it's not a fluke. It's the norm for Tarasova/Morozov. Not normal that they mess up on a lift; just the norm that they make one or two mistakes. It's gotten to where it's hard for me to enjoy the programs as much as I could.

But, like at Russian Nationals, T/M will still get high points internationally with a mistake or two (above other teams who skate clean).

They get high points with a mistake or two, but clearly they don't score above other teams who skate clean, if those teams have great elements and skating that's outstanding. Examples: Worlds 2021, NHK 2021, Finlandia 2021.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
M/G are getting ready to take a run at Sui and Han and B/K are fighting knowing that but for the 2020 cancellation of worlds the title probably would have been there. T and M are still not getting the job done. Their programmes while not overly memorable are good enough especiallyconsidering the crap from other teams to win. They need to get the job done with their elements even lacking chemistry. All three Russian teams have a chance at an olympic medal even gold. Sui and Han are the favourites still and have home country advantage. The Russians won't sweep the podium but could even win gold.
I think that the outcome is obvious. S/H have lower BV than M/G but they would likely have higher GOE. I don't agree with that as there's nothing special about their twists and SBS jumps. But they are veterans and "it's China ". I would agree that their second mark should be higher. All in all, should they both be clean I would expect S/H to win. However, S/H do make mistakes and M/G keep skating clean performances. In such a case no pushing up should work and it should be the repetition of the last worlds.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The trouble is, it's not a fluke. It's the norm for Tarasova/Morozov. Not normal that they mess up on a lift; just the norm that they make one or two mistakes. It's gotten to where it's hard for me to enjoy the programs as much as I could.
Happy New Year @skylark.

Yes indeed, it is normal to see T/M messing up (usually on sbs jumps, or throw landings). But it is NOT normal to see them flubbing a lift. I don't think I've ever seen them have trouble on a lift. They once messed up on a quad twist at SA, but lifts are usually their money element, along with 3-twists. So, like I said, the mistake on the lift was flukey, especially the way that it came down and Evgenia got stuck on Vlad's back. 😯 That hang-up made it worse. There's all kinds of stuff that can happen because ice is slippery (thinking of Danny O'Shea's blade getting caught in a rut while he was moving backward with Chelsea in his arms facing backward too -- so scary). That's why what we see pairs skaters do on the regular is so incredibly amazing.

Evgenia & Vlad tried to laugh it off afterward. Max Trankov and other coaches simply were not seeing any humor in it. I suppose the team still holds out hope that T/M can get it together, since judges appear to still love them for their talent. But T/M's continued glitches have only cemented M/G's top-favored status across-the-board. Even B/K have become somewhat accepting of M/G's dominance by this point. At least, B/K are fighting, but that's because Moskvina told them in no uncertain terms to get their mindsets straightened out. Her words were all there in the recent FS Gossips interview. LOL!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I suppose the team still holds out hope that T/M can get it together, since judges appear to still love them for their talent.
Well I'm sure their sneering and nasty looks are really helpful in that regard. God knows I always do better after being brow-beaten, stellar work coaching team, keep it up.

🙄 It's so obvious they only accepted T/M because they thought it would be easy. Obviously, they didn't do their research. Rookie error, rookie error.