2022 Russian Nationals: Pairs' Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Nationals: Pairs' Thoughts?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, we will see what happens shortly. M/G could find the Olympic experience overwhelming since they are rather young, but who knows. They exude confidence because Moskvina is on their side and she knows how to instill confidence in her skaters.

Give them some credit. I've admired Mishina's and Galliamov's down-to-earth, almost happy-go-lucky confidence since I first saw them skate in 2019 in their first senior GPs ever. They won the gold medal in France, and the bronze at NHK. Then, they were the Russians who won the bronze medal at their first senior GPF, when it was supposed to be Boikova/Koz who medaled. (to emphasize, they were coached by the Velimovs that season). I don't think those results could have happened if M/G didn't already have confidence in their abilities and belief in themselves. Though they also were charmingly humble.

Here's Wiki's summary of how her break-up with Mirzoev took place:

In January 2017, Mishina stated that they would likely split, due to disagreements, but that they intended to complete the season.[6] She said that he was struggling with her weight but that it was not possible for her to lose more.

I consider that an incredible statement, showing low-key but amazing confidence from a (then) 15-year-old girl going through puberty with all the pressures of figure skating pairs girls being expected to be a certain size.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Give them some credit. I've admired Mishina's and Galliamov's down-to-earth, almost happy-go-lucky confidence since I first saw them skate in 2019 in their first senior GPs ever. They won the gold medal in France, and the bronze at NHK. Then, they were the Russians who won the bronze medal at their first senior GPF, when it was supposed to be Boikova/Koz who medaled. (to emphasize, they were coached by the Velimovs that season). I don't think those results could have happened if M/G didn't already have confidence in their abilities and belief in themselves. Though they also were charmingly humble.
Who is saying that M/G are not a good, superbly talented team, or that they are not favorites for the Olympics? Pardon me, but I am not as huge a fan of M/G as you are, which is fine. I always give Moskvina tons of credit for her expertise, and I have given M/G credit for their accomplishments. The judges always give M/G lots of credit, so they don't need any super abundance of credit from me. They are not my favorite team. Whoever our individual favorites are is just what it is. However a team strikes each person is what it is. Some fans don't even care much about pairs, and some do. We each can enjoy who we love with the understanding that not everyone feels the same way or sees the same things in different teams or in each singles skaters.

I admire M/G as a young, talented pair with superior potential. They still have years ahead of them to improve in their areas of weakness. Moskvina took M/G under her wing and she has helped them tremendously, or else they would still be in the phase of trying to build their confidence and consistency. It's great that you think M/G always had "happy-go-lucky confidence" since you first saw them skate "in their first senior GP ever in 2019." I don't feel the same as you in that regard. Great that you liked M/G immediately and that you've always felt they are the 'bees-knees' (i.e. best ever; outstandingly good).

When I first saw M/G, I thought they were very attractive, and another nice-looking Russian pairs team. But like any relatively new pair, they were still working out getting to know each other in competition, and figuring out who they were together as a pair. I could see them thinking their way through performances. Plus, they were not always consistent, but they clearly had flashes of brilliance. They weren't putting it altogether consistently though, and they definitely were NOT as confident as they have become under Moskvina.

Any Russian pairs team that finds their way to seniors internationally is always looked at with respect by the judges immediately. And they are generally rated well in the scoring immediately. Sometimes just in the mid-to-high 60s until they prove consistency, and then they shoot up in the standings. Some younger Russian teams it may take more time for them, especially when there is a glut of top Russian teams already in the top five in the world. But when M/G came on the senior scene, a lot of the veteran Russian teams were either retired or on their way out. So it was a good time for M/G, B/K, and Pav/Kho to make their marks. It should not be underestimated the difference that Moskvina made in helping to elevate both M/G and B/K to top-level status. It is M/G who have been proving that they are the best of the top Russian teams.

At their very best though, when they are in-the-zone and not being anxious or in their heads, T/M, with their exquisite technical talent, are actually the best in the world. T/M's problem in recent years has been a complete lack of consistency and of confidence. Plus, it has taken T/M such a long time to find the right music that suits their style. They also do not emote or palpably connect, but we are used to that weak point by now (which the judges have always forgiven).

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Then, they were the Russians who won the bronze medal at their first senior GPF, when it was supposed to be Boikova/Koz who medaled. (to emphasize, they were coached by the Velimovs that season). I don't think those results could have happened if M/G didn't already have confidence in their abilities and belief in themselves. Though they also were charmingly humble.

I remember when M/G won a bronze at GPF. That was not a good competition that year overall, truthfully. The excitement and connection that James/Cipres brought was missed -- at the very least, by J/C fans! In general, I remember a number of fans commenting about the relatively blah showing by a number of teams. M/G just turned out to be one of the last teams standing when some expected teams, like B/K, didn't perform as well as they could. That you found M/G special and exciting is because you love them. No matter what they do, you will still love them, because you are clearly one of their biggest fans.

Of course, competing at GPF that year was great experience for M/G, and their talent was clear. They were simply still learning, and they did NOT exude confidence. They were still trying to figure things out as a team. As far as their coaches, it was either Russian fed or M/G or their coaches who saw what Moskvina had done for B/K, and wanted some of that magic treatment for M/G. The fact that M/G are an exceptional team means that Moskvina didn't have too difficult a task. But she knew how to knit M/G together and help them bring out their personalities (at least last season, but not this season). Moskvina knows how to package her pairs teams, and how to instill in them confidence in their abilities.

Now, M/G are no longer thinking too hard in competition. They now exude confidence. But they are also still a very young team, who are still learning. They still have a way to go. And I hope they get there. I am talking really bringing something special and iconic to the ice. That's not easy to do. They certainly have the potential, but it hasn't happened yet. It's rare for it to happen, and if it does happen, it is never an overnight process.

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
M/G have said in past interviews, or hinted at, that they want to advance technically in the coming seasons. I’ll hazard a guess that they want better side by side jumps and throws. They tried the lutz a couple of seasons ago but gave up on it when it didn’t seem like the pay off was good enough. But the next up and coming Russian pairs all have triple-triples and even the best need more if they want to win.

Of course, a gold here may sway their plans, but plenty of skaters have continued past their medals at the Olympics and had longer careers. In my opinion, these two have at least another cycle or two ahead. But we never know what goes through their heads.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That you found M/G special and exciting is because you love them. No matter what they do, you will still love them, because you are clearly one of their biggest fans.

No, I didn't love them right away. What I said (I wonder if you even read it or comprehended my meaning) is that I admired their confidence from those first Grand Prix appearances. It was low-key, down-to-earth confidence, grounded in their skills and abilities and in their already very apparent connection, which was based in trust and really liking to skate with each other. Clearly, it was a kind of confidence that you don't see or perhaps never will value.

I wish we could have conversations about Mishina/Galliamov without you dismissing my opinions (I realize it may be a useless wish). We are all only expressing our opinions in this forum, and mine are valid.

Yes, I have an emotional connection, and that's important to me. I'm not interested in figure skating unless it makes me feel something. Also, I like to focus on the positive, talking about what I love or admire in someone's skating. That doesn't mean I don't know anything.

withwings

On the Ice
... :)and I, skylark, do love Tarasova/ Morozov. .. I love their introverted skating style, their brilliant skating skills and their exquisite elements ( when they are on)... everything! T/M skating is like a classical music among other music genres... I wish T/M gold at Olympics! I wish M/G and B/K to get the medals either! and from the bottom of my heart!( gold and silver or silver and gold) partly or rather mostly because I really wish for Moskvina to end her coaching carer on the high note... she deserves this! And, finally, I really pray for W/ C to skate the lights out; to have perfect skates and to be Olympic gold medalists!! And so... there is nothing else left for me than to wish them all to skate their very best. I do not have any personal favorites. All Russian pair teams are exceptional though, I would say equally good.

My post is sort of out of context here, sorry.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... :)and I, skylark, do love Tarasova/ Morozov. .. I love their introverted skating style, their brilliant skating skills and their exquisite elements ( when they are on)... everything! T/M skating is like a classical music among other music genres... I wish T/M gold at Olympics! I wish M/G and B/K to get the medals either! and from the bottom of my heart!( gold and silver or silver and gold) partly or rather mostly because I really wish for Moskvina to end her coaching carer on the high note... she deserves this! And, finally, I really pray for W/ C to skate the lights out; to have perfect skates and to be Olympic gold medalists!! And so... there is nothing else left for me than to wish them all to skate their very best. I do not have any personal favorites. All Russian pair teams are exceptional though, I would say equally good.

My post is sort of out of context here, sorry.

Actually, @withwings -- I think your post does belong here, and I love the way you've wrapped all of your thoughts in such an inclusive manner, touching on the brilliance of all four of the couples whom many consider to be the main contenders. And if all four couples are able to skate their best in the next couple of weeks, what a magnificent showing that will be! :love:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, I didn't love them right away. What I said (I wonder if you even read it or comprehended my meaning) is that I admired their confidence from those first Grand Prix appearances. It was low-key, down-to-earth confidence, grounded in their skills and abilities and in their already very apparent connection, which was based in trust and really liking to skate with each other. Clearly, it was a kind of confidence that you don't see or perhaps never will value.

I wish we could have conversations about Mishina/Galliamov without you dismissing my opinions (I realize it may be a useless wish). We are all only expressing our opinions in this forum, and mine are valid.

Yes, I have an emotional connection, and that's important to me. I'm not interested in figure skating unless it makes me feel something. Also, I like to focus on the positive, talking about what I love or admire in someone's skating. That doesn't mean I don't know anything.
Jeez @skylark. That I have different opinions about Mishina/Galliamov does not mean I am dismissing how you feel. I just feel differently in some respects than you do. We don't all have to feel the same way. In fact, that's unrealistic to expect when dealing with sports, and especially with figure skating. Lively conversation does not mean we always have to agree. You don't have to agree with me, and I don't have to agree with you on every aspect of every skater. There are some points about M/G and about other skaters that we do agree with.

I am sad that you seem to feel so defensive because I disagree with you in a number of respects about M/G. I personally didn't see a lot of confidence in their skating prior to them being coached by Moskvina. There probably was trust, but they were still learning each other and getting used to each other in the senior competitive ranks at that point (2019), which is normal for a young team who were relatively new partners! Perhaps you sensed trust between them and confidence in each other because apparently you saw interviews with them. I didn't see any interviews they'd given until sometime last year, which gave me better insights into their personalities and interaction between each other. Seeing them in interviews gives an extra dimension to understanding them beyond the surface of a competitive performance (especially when the first few times I'd seen them, I knew nothing about them, nor about how they happened to be paired).

There's nothing wrong with being in love with a team. And I never said it's not valid to have an emotional connection. I just indicated that I don't feel a strong emotional connection to M/G. That doesn't invalidate you having an emotional connection to M/G or to any other team. There's no one right way to feel. And obviously, no fans are going to feel the same way about every skater, every team. I have strong opinions which I'm not afraid to share, which doesn't mean I 'dismiss' others' variant opinions. I think talking in person might provide better communication and understanding, especially regarding the fact that we both love pairs, but we don't have to like the same teams. Lively debate involving sharing differing opinions shouldn't be taken personally, IMO. Who accused you of not knowing anything???

I apologize for you taking offense at my thinking and stating that you've always loved M/G.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
. :)and I, skylark, do love Tarasova/ Morozov. .. I love their introverted skating style, their brilliant skating skills and their exquisite elements ( when they are on)... everything! T/M skating is like a classical music among other music genres... I wish T/M gold at Olympics!
Ah I love T/M too! I can't even explain why...their introverted style draws me in maybe? I really want the best for them!

I don't think they'll be picked for the Team Event as they had a go in 2018. So the individual event is their only shot. I'm hoping if the Olympics doesn't work out for them, Worlds will.

Goooo T/M! :cheer:

Amei

Record Breaker
Ah I love T/M too! I can't even explain why...their introverted style draws me in maybe? I really want the best for them!

I don't think they'll be picked for the Team Event as they had a go in 2018. So the individual event is their only shot. I'm hoping if the Olympics doesn't work out for them, Worlds will.

According to Maxim Trankov (Tarasova/Morozov's coach) it looks like they will not participate, below is his quote translated to English (warning: Google translate) and a link to the post.

Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov will not participate in the team tournament.

Maxim Maxaim Trankov said that his wards, most likely, would not play as a substitute in the Beijing 2022 team tournament.

Anastasia Mishina and Alexander Gallyamov were announced in the short program. In team competitions, two substitutions can be made.

- At the moment, Tarasova and Morozov are ready chic. We still kept in mind the possibility - even if it was scanty - of participating in a team tournament. But the collective decision of the federation was to leave us without this competition.

- Already to the end?

- It is not known with all the tests and with everything else - anything can happen. But we are ready. Today, the guys did a clean short program before the federation, but did not convince.
We were ready for this, because the guys themselves at the Russian Championships gave reason to doubt their short program. But still, we hoped that they would consider our experience and forward movement this season - the guys are gaining from start to start and are in good shape. I hope we can keep her.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

I too really want them on the podium this time around, I love their short program this season especially! :cheer: