2022 Worlds: Pairs' FS - Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds: Pairs' FS - Thoughts?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alexa and Brandon: PBs in the Short Program, Long Program, and Total Score.

There is nothing more you can ask of athletes. Really well done.

I am very concerned about Ashley. It seems at least possible that this is another concussion... and like my friend @el henry I am not a medical expert... and if so, I hope they will retire. I know former athletes that have suffered multiple concussions, and it's not a good longterm outlook.

Prayers for her and her family.
I definitely think Ashley should retire. I know it's not her dream ending but, she has her whole life ahead of her. We've seen football players who are permanently impacted in speech and body movement and I'd hate to see that happen to her.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
James/Radford (I believe) are the second-ever pairs team to win a World medal and also be formed from two prior teams that also won World medals.

The first was Smirnova/Ulanov, both of who had won World medals with their previous partners in the 1960s/1970s.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So USA, Japan, and Canada all get 3 spots for 2023. Georgia, Germany, Austria, France, Netherlands, and UK get 2 spots.
am i missing something about pairs spots ; USA 1+ 13 = 14? or do pairs making the free count for less (12??)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
am i missing something about pairs spots ; USA 1+ 13 = 14? or do pairs making the free count for less (12??)
Because they were top ten in the SP, C/L's WD counts like they were not entered. So it's one tam for the US, and they placed top 2. So three spots.

ETA:

Rule 378: https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file:
However the Competitors who withdrew because of:
- illness or injury, (provided this illness or injury is certified by the ISU Medical Advisor) or
- unexpected damage to the equipment during the warm up or the performance (provided this damage of the equipment is certified by the Referee),
are not considered as entered for the purpose of this Rule if they did not start or finish the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were among the top ten in the Short Program/Rhythm Dance.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I enjoyed watching yesterday, except for Ashley's last fall. But you noticed some pairs were a bit tired after this long season. It was nice to see Minerva Fabienne and Nolan as well as Vanessa and Eric to have their best Free Skates of the season. Kudos to Alexa and Brandon!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Lots of wuzrobbed aggro going on in the competition thread re Riku and Ryuichi. If you listen to their interview after the LP, you will realise that they were more upset than anyone about their performance. Ryuichi spoke for both of them when he said, "Yes, it's nice to be on the podium, but we weren't happy with how we skated." They know they can do better and I think they will be fired up to improve next season. I'm just happy that they finished the season without major injuries. Praying that Ashley C-G is OK... poor Ashley. I enjoyed their performance at the Olympics.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
So USA, Japan, and Canada all get 3 spots for 2023. Georgia, Germany, Austria, France, Netherlands, and UK get 2 spots.
They will decide at the Congress in June. At least this is what our commentator said. She is an international judge so I'm guessing it's a reliable source.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Same music, same program, same outfit... similar fall.
It was not a similar fall. The fall at 2018 Golden Spin happened during a lift dismount. This fall happened after a sbs jump went awry. As well, Ashley got up and continued to skate in 2018, even though she briefly looked dazed. This time, she was unable to get up.

Sabine

On the Ice
I forced myself to watch again and I’m concerned Ashley has multiple injuries. The first two times she fell she definitely did not hit her head. The third time she fell she definitely did - but why did she fall 3x in succession? That’s not normal🥲
I'm not sure she hit her head when she fell on the Salchow. It looked like an ordinary fall, although a pretty hard one at her hip. She managed to keep her head up, thats what it looks like. But I dont have a slow motion.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lots of wuzrobbed aggro going on in the competition thread re Riku and Ryuichi. If you listen to their interview after the LP, you will realise that they were more upset than anyone about their performance. Ryuichi spoke for both of them when he said, "Yes, it's nice to be on the podium, but we weren't happy with how we skated." They know they can do better and I think they will be fired up to improve next season. I'm just happy that they finished the season without major injuries. Praying that Ashley C-G is OK... poor Ashley. I enjoyed their performance at the Olympics.

I don't think a lot of this conversation is about 'wuzrobbed.' It's more about a lack of fairness in the scoring, and a suspicion that the numbers were massaged to ensure M/K did not fall off the podium behind at the very least, J/R.

I can understand if Miura's contact with Kihara on the 3-twist in the fp was overlooked along with the slight touch on the ice of Miura's blade on her free leg during her first throw landing, and perhaps one additional minor mistake, but not three major errors on jumps and the second throw. M/K's sp 3-twist also involved slight but obvious contact on the dismount with Miura's knees, which were bent at an odd angle during the catch.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not sure she hit her head when she fell on the Salchow. It looked like an ordinary fall, although a pretty hard one at her hip. She managed to keep her head up, thats what it looks like. But I dont have a slow motion.
No. I looked at it several times. Ashley's neck snapped back sharply. Some fans suspect her chin slammed to the ice. It's also possible her chin and forehead made swift contact with the ice, which caused her neck to jerk back on impact. None of us watching on tv, or for that matter in the arena were close enough to see clear up-close views and revealing angles. So we are all talking blindly.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They will decide at the Congress in June. At least this is what our commentator said. She is an international judge so I'm guessing it's a reliable source.
I don't believe that Japan even has three pairs who can all obtain their minimums, so maybe more likely two spots for Japan. Chinese pairs don't appear to have very promising up-and-coming teams. If they did, we wouldn't be hearing that Sui/Han will be coming back if needed. Peng/Jin surely will be returning next season, unless they too are either injured, or considering retirement. Canada could probably use 3 spots, which might go to the following (if James/Radford call it quits): Stellato/DesChamps; Matte/Ferland or McIntosh/Mimar (if they move to seniors); and Walsh/Michaud (unless Trennt wakes up and realizes he could move up farther and faster with a physically better-suited/ equally skilled partner (who do not grow on trees, so its not easy). Evelyn might also benefit by trying to find a bit taller partner. The U.S. deserves, needs and has earned 3 spots. According to current rules, any single entries who win or place second, gain 3 spots for their country in that discipline. The Congress doesn't need to decide whether the U.S. gets 3 spots, only to confirm based on the rules. I doubt that Japan can field 3 viable pairs teams.

I heard, but I haven't seen confirmation that Russian skaters and coaches have been banned from competing for next season. I noticed a video with a message from Eteri to Canadian journalist, Beverly Smith. "We will be back after one year, better than ever." LOL! I hope more stringent doping measures will be in place, as well as steeper penalties for any future Russian violations, instead of continued slaps on the wrist.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
Not to take away from a fully deserved win by K/F but they are one lucky team.
With one stroke of luck, they become both the Olympic Champions and the World Champions within a month, out of nowhere.
What a way to end otherwise rather a mediocre career.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not to take away from a fully deserved win by K/F but they are one lucky team.
With one stroke of luck, they become both the Olympic Champions and the World Champions within a month, out of nowhere.
What a way to end otherwise rather a mediocre career.
LOL. Not sure what you mean by "one stroke of luck." That's definitely not how K/F found themselves in the position to be able to claim a World championship win. It took years of hard work together and with their former partners; overcoming injuries and illnesses (in Alexa's case, a serious life-threatening illness); blood, sweat and tears; setbacks, obstacles, losses; loyalty; trust; self-belief; prayer; ingenuity and initiative; talent; blessings; huge tests and difficult decisions; uncertainty and doubt; risk-taking; conviction; small triumphs; moments of embarrassment and defeat; loss of momentum; coaching changes; relocations; pairing after splitting with long term partners and working as a new pair team during a pandemic; fitting together beautifully but having to learn how to adjust to each other under challenging competitive situations; facing an unexpected lawsuit after skating brilliantly at the 2022 Olympics; working hard to be ready for Worlds after the Olympics and taking in stride the opportunity to move up quickly at Worlds, without allowing anything outside of themselves to distract them from achieving their highest goals and dreams.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. You and anyone else being dismissive of K/F's talent should be so 'lucky.'

macy

Record Breaker
update on Ashley from USFS:

i don't know what exactly happened on that fall, but the fact she could not get up when she tried is very troubling and signals head injury/concussion to me. i hope she makes a full recovery.

if she decides she no longer should do pairs anymore, could she return to singles? With the possible retirements of Karen and Mariah and Bradie's return/condition up in the air, it might be a good time. she'd have to regain a 3+3 but i think she could be relatively successful, especially now with the reputation of a 2x US champ and olympian.