2023-24 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I LOVE Utana and Masaya's FD. It's a story of a phoenix, very original and ambitious work by Massimo Scali.
The last 1/3 of their FD.

I watched the FDs in the meantime and I agree. Such a fresh and beautiful take on the Firebird-theme. Massimo did a superb job with the choreography. I think this is already one of my favourite FDs of the season. :love: Both of Utamasa’s programs are very strong and probably designed to be competitive internationally. I genuinely believe that with this material they could contend with a strong team like Lim/Quan.

I thought the gap between Utana/Masaya and Azusa/Shingo for FD would be wider.
I agree with J4, who is an ISU judge.

Interesting, I would have had a larger gap between them in the RD. Azushin’s FD is more “conservative” (for lack of a better word) and has less complex lifts than Utamasa’s, but it was very well executed with attention to detail and good flow. Their FD allows them to demonstrate their skating skills more than their RD (due to the choreography, not because it’s the longer program ;)). Imo they already visibly improved in the FD since their first outing at Souvenir Georges-Ethier.

I have little hope, but the federation should give both, Utamasa and Azushin, international assignments. One of them should’ve also been given an NHK host spot, instead of routinely giving it away to an overseas team.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I have little hope, but the federation should give both, Utamasa and Azushin, international assignments. One of them should’ve also been given an NHK host spot, instead of routinely giving it away to an overseas team.
In the beginning of this season, JSF announced that they would send pairs and ice dance teams to international competitions to earn TES required for 4CC depending on the sectional results, so I expect UtaMasa and AzuShin to be assigned to Golden Spin.
It's so stupid of them for not having kept two more host spots at NHK, though, and it looks like Golden Spin doesn't have livestream :(

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
*pinches self* am I dreaming? Is JSF really sending out two whole ice dance teams? I'm sure this is thanks to UtaMori and AzuShin beating KoKo recently, and while I do expect KoKo to win at Nats unless they have more weird errors, all three of the above teams should be sent to 4CC at a bare minimum. They have the spots, and I'm hoping this is a sign JSF is planning to use them.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Azusa & Shingo are currently in Croatia preparing for Golden Spin CS.
Unfortunately, Shingo's luggage didn't arrive and he is now borrowing women's skates (no costume either?) for their competition.

mikeko666

Final Flight
NHK Trophy results

Ice dance
Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto (Takeru Komatsubara): 9th, 167.61

Pairs
Yuna Nagaoka / Sumitada Moriguchi: 8th, 135.39
They earned minimum TES in FS for 4CC, but not in SP.
Unfortunately, JSF didn't send them to Golden Spin :frown:, so they won't be able to compete at 4CC.
I hope they will be sent to Bavarian Open and/or Challenge Cup.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So disappointed to hear that Miura and Kihara will miss Nats. I always loved that move where he goes down on one knee and then lifts her. I always wondered how tough that was on his back though! I wish him speedy healing. They are missed.

rabidline

Final Flight
JSF has released their list of skaters who meet the selection criteria for the international competitions, with final selections to be done after Japanese Nationals:
It's fascinating to finally see the criteria for the selection for 4CC. (I didn't even know they have a criteria for 4CC selections!)

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the 2023 national ice dance medallists!

Golden Spin results
5. Utana YOSHIDA / Masaya MORITA 164.20
9. Azusa TANAKA / Shingo NISHIYAMA 158.69

Photos
Both earned minimum TES both in RD and FD both for 4CC and Worlds. :clap:
In FD, Utana / Masaya earned 3rd highest TES and the highest BV.

I've created the FanFests for our newest ice dance teams:
Yoshida / Morita
Tanaka / Nishiyama
Please continue to show them your support!

You can also PM me if there's anything that could be added/changed. I look forward to following their careers!

mikeko666

Final Flight