2023 NHK Trophy Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy Entries

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I can kind of understand it for some of the others, where selecting B/G could have jeopardised the host country's chance of getting a pair into the GP final (although I don't really agree with it). Japan have no chance of having a pair qualify now that R/K have withdrawn for both GPs, so there really is no reason to not select B/G.
B/G were expecting to be invited for Skate America with the vacant spot in the entry list, but that invitation never came... And the reason I'm pretty sure was the one you mentioned. With the scores they are currently getting they would finish on the podium (and probably already be granted a spot for the final). That's why Matteo stated he is not really happy with the current rules. This said I'm super glad that they got a second gp in the end!

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
B/G were expecting to be invited for Skate America with the vacant spot in the entry list, but that invitation never came... And the reason I'm pretty sure was the one you mentioned. With the scores they are currently getting they would finish on the podium (and probably already be granted a spot for the final). That's why Matteo stated he is not really happy with the current rules. This said I'm super glad that they got a second gp in the end!
It may end up better for them this way. They would have taken the bronze at Skate America. I think they have a decent chance of silver at NHK, and possibly even gold if Hase/Volodin don't skate at their best. Ghilardi/Ambrosini are inconsistent, especially Rebecca with jumps, and tend to underperform in one programme or the other. The new Japanese team don't have an ISU record at all, so it is difficult to gauge how well they might do. Moriguchi got some medals with his previous partner, but at Junior level.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
It may end up better for them this way. They would have taken the bronze at Skate America. I think they have a decent chance of silver at NHK, and possibly even gold if Hase/Volodin don't skate at their best. Ghilardi/Ambrosini are inconsistent, especially Rebecca with jumps, and tend to underperform in one programme or the other. The new Japanese team don't have an ISU record at all, so it is difficult to gauge how well they might do. Moriguchi got some medals with his previous partner, but at Junior level.
Well, I think Skate America was an easier field for them to start with as they had already placed ahead of Hocke/Kunkel who won the event while Hase/Volodin have always ended above them. Ghilardi/Ambrosini may not be that consistent but I think they can make a mistake and still place ahead because they are European silver medallist and reputation counts to the judges' eyes... All that said, I'm happy Lucrezia & Matteo got their chance to compete at another GP... and we'll see what happens there!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
They're definitely not beating H/V, unless the Germans have an absolute meltdown. At Nebelhorn Trophy, H/V beat B/G by 3 points despite ending up without a sbs jump in the Short and making mistakes on the combo in the Free... They'd have had a much easier time with both H/K and P/M, who they beat at the same competition (to be fair, not if they skated like at Skate Canada, but then again the other two also didn't skate as well as at Nebelhorn 🤷‍♀️).

Apart from that, I am not happy with how the ISU has handled pairs alternates this and last season. I am not against changing rules to fit the needs and problems of a current situation (and pairs was a bit of a struggle in terms of sheer numbers last season), and I'm very happy for every single team that was assigned despite not technically being able to make the alternates list under the rules the ISU sets out, BUT I am not happy that this difference in rules is not communicated openly and transparently. For the integrity of a sport it is important to not keep such things behind closed doors.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh wait, I don't see Ukraine on the list, which might rule out Shmuratko...
I would hope that they wouldn't pick someone at Espoo in any case, just because of the turn around... but so far, none of my hopes have been fulfilled lol :)

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shmuratko has been assigned to GP Espoo.
But he could technically still pick up a second assignment. Whether a second assignment is doable is another question entirely, and it's not up to me to answer it. ;)

Crowdproud

On the Ice
But he could technically still pick up a second assignment. Whether a second assignment is doable is another question entirely, and it's not up to me to answer it. ;)
Seems unlikely that a lower-ranked skater with no original assignments would get two spots.