2023 NHK Trophy: Men's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy: Men's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Kagiyama is back! It will be fun watching the friendly rivalry between Uno and Kagiyama!

What are your thoughts on the Men's event?

Your Finalists!
1Adam SIAO HIM FAFRA151530
2Ilia MALININUSA151328
3Kao MIURAJPN131528
4Yuma KAGIYAMAJPN111526
5Shoma UNOJPN131326
6Kevin AYMOZFRA131124

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Men delivered predictable results, which is pretty surprising. It's women that were totally out of the realm of expected. I still wished Sato was in the final instead of Aymoz.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bravo Kévin for reaching the GPF:clap:

As for this comp, I have only seen Yuma, Shoma and Lukas, and so much to like about all three.

Yuma and Shoma, what is there to say? Japanese men are masters of blade to ice skills and they both have so much to offer.

Having watched Lukas for seven years in the senior ranks now, so good to see him steadily progress year after year :hap10:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My highlight was Yuma's step sequence in his short program, he was flying over the ice!
Indeed! He got a level four on steps in both the short and free skate. His spins are very good too! In fact, both elements earned very high GOES (mostly +4)!

"From the start, I paid a lot of attention to my jumps, but I also cared for every single element, the spins and steps. I tried to look into everyone's face and express myself. Today, I wanted to perform perfectly. I'm happy to have reached 105 points. I also took level 4 in all spins."

He should be proud! :cheer2:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There was a time - years ago - I always skipped men, but they have turned to be my favourite this season. The reason is that men pay so much focus on presentation today, in the past there was time when only a few of them did it. Especially I am impressed how the top two Japanese not just skate, but they hand are on the control. My husband says often that it looks like there are bugs on the arena when some skaters are waving their hands as if there were dozens of them around. Little thing, but it makes the program look better. Shoma is my favourite a little bit over others, but I really liked everybody here. Some need to pay attention more to choreo, but they have time. Men was the only discipline I watched both SPs and FSs from the beginning to the end this time. Friday's events were not possible to me watch live, but I watched all men afterwards.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
This was mostly about Kevin getting to the GPF and happy to see that happen.

The tech panel was working overtime with UR calls with both women and men (carrot cake is a seasonal treat, I guess). I was particularly amazed to see the results on Shoma's quads - 1 with a < and 4 with q out of the 6 he attempted.

The scores he got for the qs were also quite unusual. Out of the 317 quads in international competition attempted since the q was introduced in 2020, only 22 (7%) have gotten a 0,00 or positive GOE. Shoma got 4 of them here. He got also one such score in the Worlds in the spring and has total of 5. Shoma is preceded only by Vincent Zhou who got 7 0,00/GOE+ scores for his q quads in the 2021-22 season.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
"Yuma, today as well as yesterday, was outstanding and I don’t really want to say anything to take away from that. He overcame a lot to win this title and deserves every bit of praise he receives."
Shoma, the incredible sportsman that you are 🥰

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Some beautiful skating from the top two, really not much between them at all. From a personal perspective, Yuma Kagiyama just edged it because I liked the contrast between the short and the free. Really brave choice of music in the second half for Shoma Uno, I can't really think of any other skater that could really pull that off.
Lukas Britschgi is turning into a really charismatic entertainer, both programs were great choices (and I enjoyed the slightly underwhelming costume reveal in the short).

My biggest question from this event.. what could Nika Egadze achieve if he used a different choreographer?

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I only saw what I saw on nbC .

Great 😊 skate all and tough job for the tech callers and judges especially between Yuma and Shoma.

Camden nice quad . Stop doubling jumps . U a nice ce skater with fluid movement.
Dennis nice flow . Nice skate. I know u can skate better.

Lukas 💯 splendid. U skated with confidence . I enjoyed it

Who do I prefer Soma or Yuma both.

Hard to separate. Both show the tough jumps and tech content.
both are fluid with their connections. Both skate with confidence. Both show tremendous intrepretation of the music they use.

Both are stars. ⭐🌟 Japanese nationals will be interesting and fantastic.

Great 😊 skate.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I was watching the whole comp live on TV at home this weekend.
Gosh, tech panel was SO strict both Men and Women thruout this competition wasn't it? which was really annoying for me because of the Box on the upper left on the screen... forever changing colors from green to yellow all the time indeed took my joy from watching all these good skates. Really. :devil:
Re top 2 home town boys, that's could have gone either way, with a different set of judges, Sho should have won. Is it a norm that judges have to push 0GOE button on every 'q' jumps now? Or am I mistaken? It used to be judges need evaluate jumps with 'q' but still can reward some plus GOE if jumps questioned have other thigns to value; entry/exit/flow etc. Oh well I am no expert. never mind. :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Camden is really frustrating for me as a fan. He has so much talent yet, It's difficult to rely on him skating 2 clean programs at his events. He has beautiful posture, and deep smooth edges. Maybe he needs a sports psychologist.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
There was a time - years ago - I always skipped men, but they have turned to be my favourite this season. The reason is that men pay so much focus on presentation today, in the past there was time when only a few of them did it. Especially I am impressed how the top two Japanese not just skate, but they hand are on the control. My husband says often that it looks like there are bugs on the arena when some skaters are waving their hands as if there were dozens of them around. Little thing, but it makes the program look better. Shoma is my favourite a little bit over others, but I really liked everybody here. Some need to pay attention more to choreo, but they have time. Men was the only discipline I watched both SPs and FSs from the beginning to the end this time. Friday's events were not possible to me watch live, but I watched all men afterwards.

When I first began watching skating, it was the 90s and ladies and pairs were my favourite disciplines. The men were my least favourite skaters, because there were so few programs I could watch many times over (Millot and Jeannette for example).

Since the past few years this has changed to mostly enjoying the men and ice dance disciplines more. I still enjoy watching pairs and ladies too though (I miss Sui/Han!)