2023 Worlds: Men's FS | Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Men's FS | Thoughts

DonnaR

On the Ice
I finally had a chance to catch up on the men's free skate yesterday. So thrilled that Shomo was able to win, even with a bum ankle, and am ecstatic that Jun finally had 2 great back-to-back skates! He had great programs this year and was definitely one of the highlights for me. I loved Kazuki's free program - what an entertainer! I'd never seen Vladmir before and was really impressed with him.

Also, so great to see both Kevin and Jason having a great competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pretty strong men's free and competition in general. Congrats to Uno for holding it together for his second World title!

Malinin had some really shaky jumps and I'm astonished that the judges actually buried him on PCS (not saying it wasn't deserved since that was a hot mess of a free skate program-wise - amazing quad axel and love the butterfly twist in the footwork though!) - would have been more like an 82-ish for me, with the Worlds inflation. His astonishing tech content saved him.

I noticed online some delusional people are asserting that Cha/Aymoz/Brown should have been the podium which is absurd given Brown was already awarded a PB with zero quads - albeit a phenomenal skate (I get him and Cha are Orser students but be sensible folks). And the tech of Aymoz was also quite low and not his potential - although I love the redemption skate and strong finish (hoped Adam could have done better though). Well deserved placements, but the podium was absolutely correct as it was.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The podium was correct. Good on Shomo to keep it together with the ankle issues. Cha's skate was NOT a surprise but we have been assuming and waiting for this for over 5 year now I am fine if this is a one time worlds because it is kind of sad that skaters like Jason and Keegan will leave with no world individual medal. The same could happen to MOrii, Kevin, Adam, Denis, Daniel G, all potential medallists but never see the podium.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty strong men's free and competition in general. Congrats to Uno for holding it together for his second World title!

Malinin had some really shaky jumps and I'm astonished that the judges actually buried him on PCS (not saying it wasn't deserved since that was a hot mess of a free skate program-wise - amazing quad axel and love the butterfly twist in the footwork though!) - would have been more like an 82-ish for me, with the Worlds inflation. His astonishing tech content saved him.

I noticed online some delusional people are asserting that Cha/Aymoz/Brown should have been the podium which is absurd given Brown was already awarded a PB with zero quads - albeit a phenomenal skate (I get him and Cha are Orser students but be sensible folks). And the tech of Aymoz was also quite low and not his potential - although I love the redemption skate and strong finish (hoped Adam could have done better though). Well deserved placements, but the podium was absolutely correct as it was.
Agree about Malinin. At best, his PCS might have been around 85--not enough to overcome the top 2.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Maybe this is a controversial opinion - I don't think Jason's skating skills were displayed very well here compared with some of his previous performances. I noticed some rather extraneous-looking crosscuts after turns and I thought his posture and arms were a bit stiff and effortful in places.

Of the various aspects of PCS, I have no doubts about the quality of Jason's musicality and interpretation. In terms of skating skills, he certainly has agility in footwork, but for smoothness and flow I'd put Shoma above. In fact I thought even some other lower-ranked competitors like Britschgi and Selevko had more of a buttery quality to their edges. Of course it's worth noting that more complex footwork can make it harder to generate flow - they certainly weren't trying to do as much choreographically as Jason. Summing up the PCS he comes out on top overall.

It might have been slightly unfair of me to have watched Patrick Chan's 2017 Journey LP just afterwards... I just wanted to check whether I'm not putting old favourites on a pedestal. In terms of interpretation, Patrick had his comfort zone, but he remains unrivalled for skating skills. I would rank a few other past skaters between him and Jason too on this metric. It doesn't affect the results of this competition, obviously, as they certainly weren't here - just me trying to figure out why I didn't quite vibe with Jason's performance as enthusiastically as most other people I know who appreciate good skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There were lots of great skates. However, Jason was the real thrill for me at this event. Keeping our 3rd spot and just being a shining light when he performs. I will really miss him if he retires. That old saying "I Gave At The Office" really applies to Jason. He's been around for more than a decade and he still makes me smile.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe this is a controversial opinion - I don't think Jason's skating skills were displayed very well here compared with some of his previous performances. I noticed some rather extraneous-looking crosscuts after turns and I thought his posture and arms were a bit stiff and effortful in places.

Of the various aspects of PCS, I have no doubts about the quality of Jason's musicality and interpretation. In terms of skating skills, he certainly has agility in footwork, but for smoothness and flow I'd put Shoma above. In fact I thought even some other lower-ranked competitors like Britschgi and Selevko had more of a buttery quality to their edges. Of course it's worth noting that more complex footwork can make it harder to generate flow - they certainly weren't trying to do as much choreographically as Jason. Summing up the PCS he comes out on top overall.

It might have been slightly unfair of me to have watched Patrick Chan's 2017 Journey LP just afterwards... I just wanted to check whether I'm not putting old favourites on a pedestal. In terms of interpretation, Patrick had his comfort zone, but he remains unrivalled for skating skills. I would rank a few other past skaters between him and Jason too on this metric. It doesn't affect the results of this competition, obviously, as they certainly weren't here - just me trying to figure out why I didn't quite vibe with Jason's performance as enthusiastically as most other people I know who appreciate good skating.
my username is still relevant i see :)
I agree with your assessment of Jason's performance. However, I would say that, personally, I liked to see him very in tune with his program : it's such a cheesy song that it needs full commitment and Jason did that brilliantly. Perhaps my favourite performance of Jason.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agree about Malinin. At best, his PCS might have been around 85--not enough to overcome the top 2.

Agreed. 85 at best but his landings were pretty tight and he wasn’t as confident and his execution was quite sloppy. But he doesn’t have the clout yet to get that.

The judges were rather conservative, except with Jason. I agree with the post above that his FS has been better performed and better constructed in past programs. It’s nice though to see he’s still competitive and performing at his best (a personal best at that - although his Olympic FS was better IMO).

mrrice

Record Breaker
He should be THRILLED at making the Podium. I actually thought he might drop to Pewter when I saw the men in the final flight. I'm still not quite over my sparkplug, Keegan Messing, not having the skate of his life and making the Podium.

FaustinaF

Rinkside
It is just difficult to choose the best performance in this men'fs world championship... 😍
Every skater was so pressed by the incredible skating level of this season, so it had to be hard to keep the concentration and the high level's performance too. However, I think Jason has performed one of his absolute better short and free program! Just consider that he achieved 95 points in PCS (if I'm not wrong)!!! So happy for him to had reached that incredible level, artistic quality, and to got that position without having a quad!!!! 😍
I really enjoyed to watch Cha's free program, what an amazing performance in artistic and technical points of view!!! His quad sal has impressed me, he had jumped it so softly giving the idea of an easy jump!!!! No doubt he had to recieve at least 3,80/4 + GOE, now I can't remember exactly how much it was but I think it was one of the highest GOE this season. Good job for him!!!!
Ohhh what to say about Keegan..!! Even if he didn't make a clean program I've just loved to see him enjoying what he was doing even with that errors!!! He's an example for us, he teach us lot of things in skating!!!! Unfortunately he had problems with that spin... He's so great in spins, (what an amazing speed!!) but he had opportunity to show this ability in the gala!!!
And wow, Ilia was just great!!!!! So sorry for him about that mistakes, but I consider that this is his first world Championship, so I'm convinced next time he will be the leader of the event!!! His jumps were so powerfull, even if their landing were not so perfect. I personally think he deserved more points in PCS. Really good job for Ilia!!!! He was also so amazing in the gala!!!!!!
Well, Shoma was really brilliant even with that mistakes, but I believe his PCS were rightly high, what a performance!!!!!! He's a great skater, who believes in himself even with all that high pressure beside him!!! Many congrats!!!!
And just the last consideration, Matteo was AMAZING in the gala!!!! He seemed to be a real tennis player!!!! 😂