29th Practice incident discussion | Page 15 | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eta

Medalist
Well this is getting juicier with every day. I do wonder though why a skater of such level as Hanyu tends to get in so many "collisions/incidents" with other skaters on the ice. Perhaps there is some truth to what Carroll has to say about Yuzuru's attitude.

Why do you say Yuzu gets into more incidents than other skaters? Sure, we (skating fans) hear more about them because of the amount of media attention on him, but media reporting frequency =/= actual occurrence frequency.

sajoya

On the Ice
Oh no, more fuel to this problem :slink: As much as I hate the media for still going about with this problem, the only positive thing I could see these interviews do is allow both the boys to see from the other's perspective on how they view and felt about the whole incident (because it's starting to look like a big pile of misinterpretations from both sides). HOPEFULLY(?) this could allow them to understand each other, help them contemplate the problem and their feelings, and also help them throw their pride away so they can approach this problem and settle it like the good people we know they ought to be. Overall, they really need to just seat down and have a nice chat, that's it.

apple123

On the Ice
Talking about PR, the whole thing did raise a question, who is the real Hanyu? On one hand, he has this super down to earth, super humble, super friendly image. On the other hand, we keep hearing he vowed to revenge, losing temper, having special treatments at WCh because of his popularity. So, which one is real?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well this is getting juicier with every day. I do wonder though why a skater of such level as Hanyu tends to get in so many "collisions/incidents" with other skaters on the ice. Perhaps there is some truth to what Carroll has to say about Yuzuru's attitude.
I can give you a number of collision or almost collision between other skaters. However they're not OGM, WC and GPF champion so most of the media don't care to cover that, even most fan don't.

whatif

Medalist

whatif

Medalist
I can give you a number of collision or almost collision between other skaters. However they're not OGM, WC and GPF champion so most of the media don't care to cover that, even most fan don't.

But that's exactly the point. Can you name another OGM, WC, GPF etc skater or team that gets into public squabbles like he. I am sure there are incidents but not for skaters at this level.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Talking about PR, the whole thing did raise a question, who is the real Hanyu? On one hand, he has this super down to earth, super humble, super friendly image. On the other hand, we keep hearing he vowed to revenge, losing temper, having special treatments at WCh because of his popularity. So, which one is real?
The way you're saying as if it's very frequent while...
Since when Yuzuru said he vowed to revenge on other people, mind sharing the source?
Loosing temper? Orser himself said this is the first time he saw Yuzuru got that angry.
Having special treatment? Oh please, in all competitions he is treated the same like everyone. He uses the same hotel, same bus like all other skaters. He was offered a car only ONE time by Chinese fed because they don't want to deal with too many fans, and it's special?
But yes... Since this is the best time to talk bad about Yuzuru, some people just keep going on and on.

Meoima

Match Penalty
But that's exactly the point. Can you name another OGM, WC, GPF etc skater or team that gets into public squabbles like he. I am sure there are incidents but not for skaters at this level.
Yuna Kim.... Does that ring a bell?
Daisuke and Kozuka also had collision, does that ring a bell?
Adam Rippon and Nan Song some years ago.
Han Yan and Patrick almost collided at 4CC practice.
You just happened to forget them.

eta

Medalist

Revenge in Japanese =/= revenge in English. Get your facts straight.

I would, if someone gets in my way THREE times.

So you'd rather have incidents caused by his massive fan base there?

treeloving

Medalist
Oh no, more fuel to this problem :slink: As much as I hate the media for still going about with this problem, the only positive thing I could see these interviews do is allow both the boys to see from the other's perspective on how they view and felt about the whole incident (because it's starting to look like a big pile of misinterpretations from both sides). HOPEFULLY(?) this could allow them to understand each other, help them contemplate the problem and their feelings, and also help them throw their pride away so they can approach this problem and settle it like the good people we know they ought to be. Overall, they really need to just seat down and have a nice chat, that's it.

Thank you very much for this post. Empathy and understanding toward other is the best way to solve conflict.
And hopefully we could keep this thread a bit less mean to each others as well as to Denis/Yuzuru.

whatif

Medalist
Yuna Kim.... Does that ring a bell?
Daisuke and Kozuka also had collision, does that ring a bell?
Adam Rippon and Nan Song some years ago.
Han Yan and Patrick almost collided at 4CC practice.
You just happened to forget them.

A once, as you said every skater has them but this is second season in a row Hanyu makes headlines NOT for his skating but an incident with another skater. Is there a pattern? I don't know. And now I should stop posting in this thread.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah sure, this is probably the "true nature" of Yuzuru Hanyu - secret harbinger of all evil, kicked puppies and awful costumes - coming to light. I bet Pooh is impolite and steals children's cookies too!

Sorry, I really couldn't take that attempt at making Yuzu look controversial serious...

Katie J

On the Ice
Unlike some, I never saw this as a personal issue so from my side I sure hope Ten has gotten the message and we don't see repeats of what has been happening. Safety matters, it isn't just an empty parole and while accidents will always happen, prevention is actually a thing that works. Good luck to everyone tonight.
Exactly. Denis Ten has a different kind of feeling what 's safe or how he skates in case another skater has the right of way. Hanyu's reactions were certainly influenced by his accident with Han Yan, he is not feeling safe when Ten is skating in the same rink. Maybe it' s good that it was discussed here again. But please no Fan war, please. Im a Fan of Hanyu AND of Ten. Calm down, enjoy FS tonight.

Meoima

Match Penalty
A once, as you said every skater has them but this is second season in a row Hanyu makes headlines NOT for his skating but an incident with another skater. Is there a pattern? I don't know. And now I should stop posting in this thread.
Last season it was accident.

This season it was? You give me some opinions?
Now if you're on the side "it's just coincidence that Denis was on the way of Yuzuru 3 times" then it's fine. I also want to be on that side. However if you're suggesting that it was Yuzuru who ran all his way to other skater in the middle of the rink, then it's funny. Because you seem to forget that:
1) It was Yuzuru's run though, his music
2) Yuzuru mostly skate in the center of the rink because it's his run though
3) It was totally not his fault because he is doing his rightful part. Anyone in his way is the one who made mistakes, not Yuzuru.
Or you're suggesting that:
Yuzuru should move to the side of the rink to practice his run though during his music because other skaters have all the right to use the center... Because they're in their own world and they don't care if it's their music or not.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

But you don't mind implying it. Allow me to show you why Ten's coach is an amateur. You want implications?

Denis Ten, caused by him, 3 times in 2 days. Victim, same skater.

Is there a pattern?

Well, is there? I wonder what that is. Hmm. :palmf: See why you shouldn't go there? (for the record, I don't think Ten is after Yuzuru, I am just showing why this is a stupid)

If you want more, to show how ludicrous this is:

Adam Rippon & Nan Song crash CoC 2012
Javi & Max Aaron W 2016
Max Aaron & Adam Rippon too

Hmm, there seems to be a problem with Max Aaron and Adam Rippon and Javi too, as Orser named Javi in another incident. Throw in Shoma Uno there who has had two at the same competition with one skater.

My oh my.

Come on people. Seriously?! :laugh:
Ten needs to be a little more self-aware and careful. That's it. That's all this is.

EDIT: You know actually, on second thought, listing all these things is a very nice way to show two things - overall even with all these high ranking people, the general adherence to safety issues is working, as we don't have that many serious accidents and two, that they do happen even with it, so yeah, there's really valid cause to indeed, be careful.

Last edited:

TatiMax

On the Ice
To be honest I would lose my temper if I had to train with thousands others in same arena. Players want to get the feel of arena ice may be they could in future worlds organize practice better.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

Jamie Sale collided in the 6 minute warm up with Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze in Salt Lake 2002. And she pretended it was the Russians fault, ignoring that she was doing a single element whereas the Russians were doing a pair element which gave them the right of way.

Papadakis/Cizeron had a near miss with Virtue/Moir at the Bompard in their 1st year in seniors while it was the Canadians run-through. Now I am a huge fan of Gabby/Guillaume and I can give them some slack as it was their 1 competition in seniors but it was entirely their fault and as Scott rightfully said afterwards, WHEN SOMEONE'S MUSIC IS PLAYING, YOU GET OUT OF THE EFFING WAY.

Collisions or near misses in practice are not rare occurrences unfortunately and skaters know it is gonna happen and it's nobody's fault as you can't be completely aware of the other skaters 24/7.
But getting in the way of someone's run-through is A LOT MORE UNCOMMON (especially for someone who is a seasoned competitor and world and olympic medalist) and falls under either negligence and disrespect of the basic rules of practice or active sabotage/intimidation.

Now I hope Denis Ten didn't do that intentionally (I prefer to think he didn't, but can't blame Hanyu for questioning it with the recurrence of it), but his response to the incident is deplorable and Carroll's response is even worse. That guy is one of the most respected coaches in FS history. Making that kind of comments is SHAMEFUL.

DexterK

On the Ice
As it was said before, Ten needs to be self-aware.
There is no excuse for someone to be "in their own world"... even if you are stressed out because you are unprepared for Worlds.

apple123

On the Ice
Scott may say many things but never accused P/C of sabatoging them. That's one big difference here. Hanyu made the whole thing very personal and scandalous.

eta

Medalist
Scott may say many things but never accused P/C of sabatoging them. That's one big difference here. Hanyu made the whole thing very personal and scandalous.

P/C didn't get in Scott's way THREE times. After being politely asked to watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.