A beginner's got a few questions for you guys..... | Golden Skate

A beginner's got a few questions for you guys.....

skate_in_pink24

Spectator
I started skating about two and a half months ago. My rink is closed from April to October, so I can't skate as much as I'd like with out driving two hours from where I live to where my coach teaches in summer. I dont mind this but my parents obviously do. I can skate forwards and backwards, do forward and backward swizzles, two different stops. I start spinning when the rink reopens. I havent had a lesson on spinning but I can almost do it! (sort of) Actually, videos of me skating could most likely win America's funnyest home videos. Or I think so. My mom says I;m good... but she's my mom.

Any way, I'm looking for my first pair of skates. I think I found some I like but I don't know if $35 is too cheap for good skates? They're white American athletic skates. I'm also getting blades. Are nickel plated ones bad?

Also, is there a certain kind of blade guard I should get? Thanks guys, you rock!

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
For your new skates, i would suggest checking out http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/121.html

The beginner series are the ones for you to check out, and the blades are included in the skates. You can also check out www.skatebuys.com for a good deal.

As for blade guards, you should definetely get a pair of soakers (they are made of terry cloth) to keep your skate blades from rusting, and if you really need them (or you have the possibility of walking in your skates on hard surfaces0 you should get a pair of hard guards. I would suggest ones like these http://www.skatebuys.com/unbladguar1.html as they tend to last the longest, and don't slip off as easily. Good luck with your skating!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
If you're really, really serious about keeping with skating, then you might want to consult a skate fitter. The different brands have different fits and it depends on the shape of your foot which would be best. For example I have wide (D) feet--it would be a waste of time for me to check out Riedell, as I'd never be able to wear them. They run narrow.

Honestly at the level you describe you don't NEED more than the $35 variety. Nothing you're doing requires serious support. But if you are really serious about sticking with it, why waste money when you'll just need replacements? Ask your coach about skate fitters in your area and see what she thinks you should be considering, and be prepared--good skates cost a lot more. I have mid-range boots and they were $400. I got very, very lucky (thanks to a member here!) and got blades for $100--normal retail for them would be $400+.

Absolutely get both soakers and hard guards. Even walking on rubber matting can dull your blades eventually and you can pick up dirt and such that will affect performance.

Clarice

Rinkside
Don't do it, in my opinion. These are very similar to my first pair of skates, possibly the same ones. The boots are vinyl, which have no support whatsoever. I couldn't even do 3-turns in them. They lasted 3 months, after which I bought entry level Jacksons. You want a decent pair of leather boots, and I'm not sure how well these blades would be able to hold a sharpening. I'd recommend Riedells or Jacksons. Does your rink have a pro shop? If so, start there. Sometimes you can get a good deal on used skates, too.

skate_in_pink24

Spectator
Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I would suggest before you buy that you try on different skates before you buy. You need to know the correct size too. Having a pro shop fit a boot for you is the best bet instead of just buying them off the internet.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
skate_in_pink24 said:
Thanks! I have decided to hold off and buy these Riedells: http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/121.html

They look nice. Opinions?

Plus, are these:http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/features.html#heat do it yourself instructions?

And, my next question... What type of blades should I get? I don't think I can spend over 100 dollars. Then, how do I get them on? I dont have a skate fitter at my rink (that I know of) and I'm not sure if my coach can do it.

Those skates come with the blade attached, the sole is plastic.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Those look more like instructions for a fitter/shop on heat fitting. It is POSSIBLE to do it in your home oven, but I wouldn't advise it.

I really, really, second what dlkksk8fan said--your should try the skates on. Like we've mentioned above, different brands have different fits. If your foot is at all wide, Riedell stock boots (which these are) will NOT fit you. If your rink doesn't have a pro shop, try a sporting-goods store. Some of them do stock low-level books like Blue Ribbons, Jackson Competitors, etc. which come with the blades attached. Right now, that is probably your best bet.

Again, talk to your coach. S/he can give you advice on where to shop, and what level of boot and blade you should be considering.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Although there are 2 rinks here, my options for trying on before I buy aren't exactly stellar either, I got my first 'real' pair(Dominion 718's with the so-called 'standard' blade) from skatebuys.com for $ 70, and they are doing a fine job for the price. I definitely wanted leather (at least uppers), don't buy the vinyl crap, you might as well wear the rink rentals.....
Real 'quality' in ice skates starts somewhere in the $ 200-300 range.
Since you can't skate in the summer, you might want to think about getting a pair of inline- or roller skates, it's not the same, but similar enough to allow you to do some 'cross training'.

I would suggest you take dance classes to get the feel of turning in the air and on the floor (pirouettes) during the summer.

Rollers are an option too, but beware while the movements are the same, the execution of edges are different.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Joe