Adult Classes At 13? Help! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adult Classes At 13? Help!

cl2

Final Flight
I actually have two coaches that I work with for each class I take. One is usually the intern, but knows how to skate just as well as the coach that works there professionally. I've been thinking about getting a part time job in order to save up for private lessons alongside the adult classes so that I have a coach working with me one-on-one. I don't really know if this is the best course of action though.

That sounds like a sound plan, if you ask me. Getting individualized instruction through private lessons is generally a good way to improve faster.

Though, how much faster depends a lot on a variety of factors: quality of coaching, quality and quantity of practice time outside of lessons, innate talent, physical assets or limitations (such as age, strength, natural flexibility). As many other posters have pointed out, there's no point expending energy comparing yourself to other skaters, especially in things you can't control (such as age, talent). Instead, focus on things you can control (such as seeking out quality coach and practice time, strength and flexibility training).

I reiterate that you should still talk with the skating director, your coach(es), fellow adult skaters, fellow kid skaters, as many people as possible. Ask them whether they focus on tests, competitions, shows or something else. Ask them what system of tests they follow (see also gkelly's highly informative post) and how their coach preps them for it. Ask them how they many lessons a week they think is enough for the rate of progress they want to achieve. Ask questions that are as specific as possible. Everyone will give you a different response, some people's opinions carry more weight than others, but it's for you to assimilate the information and decide the course of action that works best for you.

JSM

On the Ice
I agree with some of the other posters. At 13, you might benefit from the classes for the younger students. Before the next session starts, I would recommend asking the skating director or a full time instructor for an evaluation. After the evaluation, the instructor/director can place you in the correct class for your skating skills.

For example, if you could easily swizzle forwards, glide on two feet, and move backwards, you might get put into basic 2 classes (if the rink follows the LTS USA curriculum).

Don't ever be embarrassed about where you are! Everyone has to start at the beginning, and everyone learns at their own pace. Enjoy skating!

treesprite

Final Flight
My rink (I skate and work there), which I have been told has the largest Learn to Skate program in the country (US), has the classes divided so that teens are with adults, not children. Those are called "teen and adult". They follow a standard LTS curriculum, which includes testing the last day of each 6-week class series.

I honestly don't know any teenager who would rather be with little kids than with adults.

concorde

Medalist
I taught swimming for years and at 13, you were put into an adult class. If someone complained, they could be moved to a kids class.

Here is,what I view as the difference between kid and adult classes. In kid classes

What do you want? If you want to be in the kid class, tell you parents and have them (not you) speak to the skating director about moving you.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the advice! The only thing I am still worried about is the levels. I don't even know how they work in adult classes. I could be fine in the place I am, but I would never know what level I was. I don't even know how to test to move up a level when I'm ready.

Ask the class's coach. Ask them what level you're at. Ask them how testing works.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two life lessons for you here straight up, kiddo.

First, there will always be someone better than you (unless you're Evgeni Plushenko). And there will always be someone worse than you. At everything, at every time.

Second, if you spend your whole life worried about what other people think, you will never get anywhere. Stop giving a flying camel.

Oh, and have another piece of advice: Everybody had to start somewhere. Even the champions were once wobbling around the rink as Learn-to-Skate students. No-one just hopped on the ice and started doing triples ever.

I think you should go to the regular learn-to-skate classes. In my experience, a lot of Adult-focused LTS curriculum seem to focus on ice dance, and that may not be what you want to do, which is fair. The other option could be to take private lessons; I did from a very early time in my learning to skate, and I believe it was much more helpful for me than to be in a group environment. Focus on your skating, not on anyone else's.

I was nearly ten years older than you are now when I started learning. Older, and clumsy, and overweight, and inflexible. And nobody's ever laughed at me. (Except when I intentionally tried to make them laugh.)

USFSA has an adult curriculum for LTS. It is not focused on dance. It goes through all of the basic skills in levels 1-6. ISI uses the same curriculum for kids and adults (alpha, beta, gamma, etc.). In either system, students can ask to be tested at whatever level they are working on.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Perhaps the original poster could post a copy of the published description of the adult course he/she is taking?

I looked at what is available in my town, and the teen/adult "class" is more of a group session with a shared coach than an actual class. If I wanted to learn to skate, I would like something more structured than that, but that is all that's available. Think I could take a kid's class when I am in my 70s? Nah, I'd better stick to watching and posting!

Ice Wolf

Rinkside
Perhaps the original poster could post a copy of the published description of the adult course he/she is taking?

I looked at what is available in my town, and the teen/adult "class" is more of a group session with a shared coach than an actual class. If I wanted to learn to skate, I would like something more structured than that, but that is all that's available. Think I could take a kid's class when I am in my 70s? Nah, I'd better stick to watching and posting!

The information is all here. My rink is the LA Kings Icetown in Riverside. This is a direct quote from the Icetown website where it gives the info on the classes.

"Icetown uses the Learn to Skate USA program. This program is endorsed by US Figure Skating, USA Hockey, and US Speedskating, and is designed to be the best beginning ice skating program that serves the needs of both the recreation and competitive figure skater. Through this program, our coaching staff helps skaters achieve their goals, wheither it be Olympic fame or to simply enjoy the recreational beneifts of skating. Our mission is to provide a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating.

Classes are grouped by both age and ability. Depending on the skater's level, classes are half hour or hour-long.

There are four weeks during the year that classes are not held (Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.) Payments are due every month and are based on an average of 48 classes per year. Academy members are entitled to receive free public session during the weeks that classes do not meet."

I also pulled this from the website: "SKATING ACADEMY ADVANTAGES

FREE skate rental on lesson day
FREE admission to all public sessions
Skaters are graded and individually tested regularly
Discounts on Icetown camps and birthday parties"

I still don't really understand it though, considering that's not a lot of information.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I found the site for your rink and the individual class descriptions.

For adults, it's "These classes are offered to figure skaters and hockey skaters over the age of 15, from beginners who want to learn how to skate or those who want to sharpen their skills they already know and even learn more. This class is fun, and you get to work at your own pace." then they list 3 times and instructors, but there's no grouping by level. That's pretty much what our local and semi-local rinks offer, except that they don't claim to be suitable for beginners.

On the other hand, if you look at the description for Basic 1 and 2, it has a long list of skills that will be taught. So it looks to me like you should go to your adult class with your list of basic 1 skills (you can print it off the website) and ask the instructor to work on those skills with you, or you can switch to a more structured class.

At your class, does the instructor have everyone doing the same thing, or does he/she go around from person to person, ask what you're working on, and give you a few minutes of individual instruction on that skill?

kathrynskates

Rinkside
Same struggle here but I started lessons when I was 15 and was stuck with a group of kids at Basic 1 lol. Like previous posters said, there will always be someone who's a lot stronger than you and others a little bit behind on the spectrum. However, the greatest part is that all of them really do want to get better. Stay in adult classes, you're young and still have years upon years of experience ahead and being in a LTS won't feel a whole lot better nor help you. There's this skater who I talked to yesterday, absolutely amazing and helps people out with elements. I figured he started when he was younger but turns out he had started when he was 50, he's 61 right now. Also, since you're much older you have better body control which is a plus!

Ice Wolf

Rinkside
I found the site for your rink and the individual class descriptions.

For adults, it's "These classes are offered to figure skaters and hockey skaters over the age of 15, from beginners who want to learn how to skate or those who want to sharpen their skills they already know and even learn more. This class is fun, and you get to work at your own pace." then they list 3 times and instructors, but there's no grouping by level. That's pretty much what our local and semi-local rinks offer, except that they don't claim to be suitable for beginners.

On the other hand, if you look at the description for Basic 1 and 2, it has a long list of skills that will be taught. So it looks to me like you should go to your adult class with your list of basic 1 skills (you can print it off the website) and ask the instructor to work on those skills with you, or you can switch to a more structured class.

At your class, does the instructor have everyone doing the same thing, or does he/she go around from person to person, ask what you're working on, and give you a few minutes of individual instruction on that skill?

It's the latter. The instructor just goes around and helps people, but he usually focuses more on the people learning spins and jumps, so I'm determined to get there as fast as I can so I'll get more instruction and guidance. I have been taking 30 minute classes two days a week for 8 weeks now and already know crossovers, beginning two foot spins and hockey stops, which in my current curriculum would be considered advanced. I just don't know if that's good enough.