Adult skates recommendations for irregular height/weight | Golden Skate

Adult skates recommendations for irregular height/weight

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Hello everyone! Newbie here who have never skated in her life until a month ago. Thinking of getting a pair of solid/professional/good quality skates since I am now taking regular group classes (for basic/general skating). I do read a lot that adults require more support due to their weight and height but I happen to be rather petite/short (around 5ft 2, max. 110lbs). I will go to a shop to get fitted but just wondering if there are any models that I should keep an eye on since there are few shops in my area and they sometimes only carry certain brands. Currently in my Edea Wave for my basic and general skating session but looking to upgrade if needs come. At the moment, the Wave offers decent support (I had to still break them in a bit more) but I assume I would need to get a more supportive boot for later.

Any thoughts? Edea, Graf, or Risport preferable since it is hard to get any others in the country at the moment due to circumstances.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Boots all depend on your feet, but the waves should get you through the basics. While your size is petite by normal standards (hi, 5’1” and 115lbs over here), it’s not an uncommon size for skaters.

If you share your country/state/city, people can recommend professional fitters who can help you find the right boots and blades when you need them,

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you give us some info such has height/weight, foot shape/style (look this up), arches: v. high/high/reg/low/very low and skating level (skills), we can suggest a few boot brands/styles that would work for your current needs.

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Boots all depend on your feet, but the waves should get you through the basics. While your size is petite by normal standards (hi, 5’1” and 115lbs over here), it’s not an uncommon size for skaters.

If you share your country/state/city, people can recommend professional fitters who can help you find the right boots and blades when you need them,
Thank you for your input! Yeah I always ask people to clarify when they say adult, do they also mean adult-sized lol. I'm currently located in Moscow, Russian Federation. I am still in a free group lesson (just learning how to skate in general) but thinking of getting an instructor after the free session finishes (the city provides free lessons and ice time from December till end of February). So hopefully she can assess my feet and needs in person.

Just some clarification, when you say basics, do you mean basic skating or basic elements of figure skating?

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
If you give us some info such has height/weight, foot shape/style (look this up), arches: v. high/high/reg/low/very low and skating level (skills), we can suggest a few boot brands/styles that would work for your current needs.
155cm, 48kg, medium arch (according to my ballet teacher and pointe shoe fitting) and low skating level. Tho planning to take at least 2 lessons/week beginning spring. My feet are a bit on the narrow side and according to the infograph, I appear to have a Greek foot shape.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
155cm, 48kg, medium arch (according to my ballet teacher and pointe shoe fitting) and low skating level. Tho planning to take at least 2 lessons/week beginning spring. My feet are a bit on the narrow side and according to the infograph, I appear to have a Greek foot shape.
Honestly the first brand I would suggest to you would be Riedell, but if you can't get those where you are located, then try Graf and Edea.
Actually, I just looked at there is a store in Moscow that carries all the above brands from what I can see https://twizzle.ru/
If you would like suggestions for a particular boot/blade that would work best for you right now in each of these brands, let me know and I can help.

Good luck! :)

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Honestly the first brand I would suggest to you would be Riedell, but if you can't get those where you are located, then try Graf and Edea.
Actually, I just looked at there is a store in Moscow that carries all the above brands from what I can see https://twizzle.ru/
If you would like suggestions for a particular boot/blade that would work best for you right now in each of these brands, let me know and I can help.

Good luck! :)
That is great to hear! Just checked out the website and looks like they do stock Riedell and have a brick and mortar shop so I can go for a fit! If you have any suggestions for boots and blade for Riedell/Edea/Graf I would love to know so that I can try them on. As for preference, I do prefer a tighter fit on my instep/arch and maybe less tight on my ankles.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That is great to hear! Just checked out the website and looks like they do stock Riedell and have a brick and mortar shop so I can go for a fit! If you have any suggestions for boots and blade for Riedell/Edea/Graf I would love to know so that I can try them on. As for preference, I do prefer a tighter fit on my instep/arch and maybe less tight on my ankles.
Edea Overture for up through single axel, Chorus for doubles.
Graf F4000
Riedell Motion, Flair (up to doubles), Bronze Star (doubles).

You're going to need to pair them with a standard intermediate blade: MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace. There is also Eclipse Aurora and Matrix Legacy 7 or 8 (which have a flatter rocker).

Good luck!

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Edea Overture for up through single axel, Chorus for doubles.
Graf F4000
Riedell Motion, Flair (up to doubles), Bronze Star (doubles).

You're going to need to pair them with a standard intermediate blade: MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace. There is also Eclipse Aurora and Matrix Legacy 7 or 8 (which have a flatter rocker).

Good luck!
This is brilliant and I appreciate it so much! A follow up if you don't mind - do you recommend getting straight to a boot that could get me to a double or stick with the single first? So for example, would it be worth it to upgrade to the Overture (hardness 55) from a Wave (40) or do I just jump straight into the Chorus (bye bye allowance money T^T)

Kinda sad that the Riedell and Graf models you mentioned currently hard to get because they seem more affordable than the Edeas tbh

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You should be fine in a boot that takes you up to doubles, with progress in skating, you will more than likely need new boots before doubles anyway.

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
You should be fine in a boot that takes you up to doubles, with progress in skating, you will more than likely need new boots before doubles anyway.
Thank you! Now gotta get my basics solidified and start saving for those boots and blades 💸

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! Now gotta get my basics solidified and start saving for those boots and blades 💸
Oh if you aren't getting them soon then you might have to re-evaluate what equipment you will need when the time comes.

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Oh if you aren't getting them soon then you might have to re-evaluate what equipment you will need when the time comes.
I'm starting proper lessons maybe in 4-6 weeks time so not sure if that's a huge gap or not. But would definitely keep your recommendations in mind when I bring up the subject to my figure skating instructor.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm starting proper lessons maybe in 4-6 weeks time so not sure if that's a huge gap or not. But would definitely keep your recommendations in mind when I bring up the subject to my figure skating instructor.
Just know that many coaches have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to recommending boots/blades.