Recreational skates recommendations | Golden Skate

Recreational skates recommendations

natuhliiee

Spectator
Hi everyone, posting here on behalf of my partner who’s interested in purchasing some recreational skates to go skating with me!

He plans on going once a week with me and just doing basic forward skating + laps around the rink. Nothing advanced, just skating for fun! He’s decently speedy on the ice in rentals, but they always cause him lots of pain/soreness after a public session.

He’s 5’9 and roughly 190-200 pounds, with pretty wide feet. Ideally, he doesn’t want to spend any more than $250. However given his height and weight, it’s understandable that he may possibly need more supportive skates (even just for basic skating), which tend to run more expensive. If that’s the case, he plans on just saving up a little more for better skates that would give him proper support.

Any recommendations would be super appreciated! Thanks again :D

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Whatever you do, do NOT buy those plastic boot things with the clips. Rentals are absolutely the worst and do more to dissuade people from skating rather than encouraging it.

If your budget is USD, then you can certainly find some intro level figure skates at this price point - you may even find that he will do well with a pair of used figure skates. I highly suggest you go to an actual figure skating store with a trained fitter -most people don't understand how skates are supposed to fit and a fitter can also adjust and heat mold the boots so that any pressure points can be dealt with. If you let them know your budget, they can steer you in the right direction, taking into account budget, skill, weight, and use.