Anyone Here On Facebook? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone Here On Facebook?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have not done anything with facebook. Can someone explain how you say for instance find lost schoolmates on facebook?? I don't know how it works.

you have a section where you can put your education history. so classmates from high school and college on facebook who have also put in their education pop up as possible friends...

then you can find others through their friendships with mutual friends.

you also have 'hometown networks'... it's a lot of fun finding people!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks everyone but the searching only begins after you register, right?? Like I couldn't do a search right now without registering?

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone but the searching only begins after you register, right?? Like I couldn't do a search right now without registering?

You can't look at anything on FB without signing up.

In addition to filling in profile info, you should also search for groups. For example, I searched for Hillcrest Elementary School, Peekskill High School and Franciscan High School and someone had already set up groups. So I joined each of them and people found me via membership in those groups. One of my former neighbors set up 'I Grew Up I Hillcrest Park' and that's been a fun group to reconnect with.

Also, there are so many fan sites. Some are just ridiculous - i.e. I Love Chocolate. People join, but no one posts.

There's a fan group for Captain Sullenberger - pilot of the Miracle on the Hudson. Someone started it and his daughters told him about it. So, he sends 'updates' when he's doing something he feels is noteworthy that people might want to attend.

It's so much better than Twitter IMO

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you can also share as little or as much as you want, and you can make it so that only your friends on facebook can view.

tricia90

Rinkside
AsTonichelle said, you can block anyone from seeing your Facebook page (or parts of it) except for friends who you have accepted. This is a good idea because until I put in a block, I got some weird things. Anyone trolling around can get in and it seems there are a lot of people with excess time and questionable intentions. As soon as I blocked, it stopped and I have had no hits or messages from people I don't know.
My daughter says the kids have known about blocking all along. Seniors in high school especially block so their sites are safe from the colleges where they are applying--- wouldn't want those party pix out there for the admissions folks. Also true for young people on a job hunt. They often do not use their full names ie Ash Camp instead of Ashley Campbell.

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
I am too. I am in college so it is my life. People from class, skating and highschool are on it. It is a little strange now I admit that my grandma has a facebook. Also a lot of skaters are on it.

By the way I think I am friends with some of you

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think it is important to make your account private, especially for younger kids. I found a former co-worker on FB and her preteen daugher was one of her friends. However, I was able to see her daughter's page. Since former co-worker is back as a part time contractor, I mentioned to her that I was surprised I could look at her daughter's wall. SHe didn't realize that the default wasn't 'private' and that you have to set it. She went home (we're not allowed access to the site from our work network) and change her daughter's and her own privacy settings.

If you are set to private, people can search for you, but they can't see your wall or friends without becoming your friend first. So, they would send you a friend request, which you would need to confirm.

I avoid having current co-workers as friends. If I want to complain about something that happened at work, I don't want what I said to get around the office. I do have a couple of co-workers as friends, but they are people I trust.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have both of my bosses as friends on FB lol... and I gripe about them (and they are active) but I do it in a way that they think I'm kidding ha ha!

actually I gripe about their two assistants (both of whom they can't stand, but that's gov
'ment fer ya!) so they normally agree :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think it is important to make your account private, especially for younger kids. I found a former co-worker on FB and her preteen daugher was one of her friends. However, I was able to see her daughter's page. Since former co-worker is back as a part time contractor, I mentioned to her that I was surprised I could look at her daughter's wall. SHe didn't realize that the default wasn't 'private' and that you have to set it. She went home (we're not allowed access to the site from our work network) and change her daughter's and her own privacy settings.

If you are set to private, people can search for you, but they can't see your wall or friends without becoming your friend first. So, they would send you a friend request, which you would need to confirm.

I avoid having current co-workers as friends. If I want to complain about something that happened at work, I don't want what I said to get around the office. I do have a couple of co-workers as friends, but they are people I trust.

Yes, I thought about that!!! Many of my co-workers both past and present have registered on Face book. I am careful about what I say about work - if anything. Thanks...

Rachael

On the Ice
I love Facebook! I have reconnected with old friends and coworkers. It's great! I'm on there all the time.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Whenever I try to see who's looking for me, it says I have to pay.
I just joined so don't know much about it yet.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
...I don't think you're on facebook then, GrGranny - maybe classmates? Facebook is completely free.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I am on Facebook. It's the find classmates thing that charges.
that sound weird. I found them all for free, I just searched for people with my high school's name on the profile.

I think Grgranny is referring to sites like mylife.com (formerly reunion.com) and classmates.com. These sites charge you to join so you can find old classmates. I used to belong to mylife.com and still get e-mails from them. I joined Facebook and have found many old high school classmates.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Hey I am! Always happy to accept new friends on there, so feel free to check me out!

facebook.com/anyaangie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am on Facebook. It's the find classmates thing that charges.

Facebook.com does not charge to search for classmates. you may want to check to make sure you're actually on that site when you're searching and not some phishing site...

otherwise I think you're on classmates.com or reunion.com or something of that nature.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
It's when you see those ads on the right of the page. I have no idea how to get the free ones.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
those ADs are not FACEBOOK ads... they're just sites that pay to advertise.