Are Edea Pianos too high for me? | Golden Skate

Are Edea Pianos too high for me?

sk8ranna

Spectator
Hi! (I’m 15 years old, 120lbs, and my feet have already stopped growing) I’m an currently skating in edea ice flies but i’ve noticed that they’re starting to lose support. My coach took a look at them and said that they were creasing and that I needed new boots. I am absolutely in love with my current skates and was planning on just buying the exact same boot again. However, it’s only been a year and when I got them fitted she said that they should last at least 2. I currently have a consistent axel and double sal and am working on double loop so ice flies are already over my level. Is it overkill to get pianos due to the added stiffness and will they last a little longer?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! (I’m 15 years old, 120lbs, and my feet have already stopped growing) I’m an currently skating in edea ice flies but i’ve noticed that they’re starting to lose support. My coach took a look at them and said that they were creasing and that I needed new boots. I am absolutely in love with my current skates and was planning on just buying the exact same boot again. However, it’s only been a year and when I got them fitted she said that they should last at least 2. I currently have a consistent axel and double sal and am working on double loop so ice flies are already over my level. Is it overkill to get pianos due to the added stiffness and will they last a little longer?
Yes, beings you shouldn't even be in ice flies, pianos are overkill.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
At your weight and skill level, if Ice Flies are creasing and breaking down after a year, I'm thinking you're in the wrong size boot. Sounds like they are too big. Make sure to get professionally fitted this time around.

sk8ranna

Spectator
I was professionally fitted by an edea rep and they fit nice and snug. I think i just tend to break down my skates fast?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was professionally fitted by an edea rep and they fit nice and snug. I think i just tend to break down my skates fast?
You've said they've just lasted a year. But you haven't said how many hours/week and how many weeks in that year you have skated.

sk8ranna

Spectator
You've said they've just lasted a year. But you haven't said how many hours/week and how many weeks in that year you have skated.
Sorry! I only skate about 4 hours a week and altogether I think i’ve taken off like 2 months in the past year just from things like vacation, holidays, etc.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry! I only skate about 4 hours a week and altogether I think i’ve taken off like 2 months in the past year just from things like vacation, holidays, etc.
Then something is not right. A friend of mine (about your weight) wore Ice Flies when she was competing. She did triples, practiced 4 to 6 hrs per day/7 days a week, almost year round. Her Ice Flies lasted about 9 months under those substantially more exhausting conditions. After going through two pairs of Ice Flies, she switched to Pianos, which lasted about twice as long (about 18 months).

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Then something is not right. A friend of mine (about your weight) wore Ice Flies when she was competing. She did triples, practiced 4 to 6 hrs per day/7 days a week, almost year round. Her Ice Flies lasted about 9 months under those substantially more exhausting conditions. After going through two pairs of Ice Flies, she switched to Pianos, which lasted about twice as long (about 18 months).
This. This is the kind of regime where Ice Flies are appropriate. I'd be asking the Edea rep about the fact yours have broken down so quickly. I didn't think properly fitted Edeas were supposed to crease? But I'd also be looking at some different brand options.

On a side note, I used to go through top-level boots at the rate of at least one pair per year, as an ice dancer before dance boots were a thing. It's the knee bend that's really tough on boots. It could be that you need to budget for a pair a year.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
OP, are you using Edea's method to tie your skates? I've never skated in Edea myself but as far as I'm aware, Edea recommends using a specific lacing pattern for their boots to work as designed, and that early break-down is a possible issue that improper lacing can cause.