Are golden-oldie U.S. skaters still much more popular than today's? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are golden-oldie U.S. skaters still much more popular than today's?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the same thing. FB is getting rather lame these days amongst the younger crowd. Most of my friends Snap Chat each other and get their celebrity stuff from Twitter and Instagram or sites not popular yet I'm sworn to secrecy on. :cool:

That is why I just went up to a rink person and asked them straight away. Although I must admit that I didn't ask who they would like to have a conversation with but instead just if they knew who I was talking about. I guess since they didnt know any of the current US stars it would have been a similar result.

Personally I might choose the Shibs. That would be a blast IMO. Eventually though I would realize that I would be passing up a chance to meet Sasha Cohen and would kick myself for not choosing her. Sorry Golden411....it's not that I don't love Davis and White (although I'm team C/L) it's that Sasha Cohen is my US all time #1.

I think this and other posts above (I'm not yet familiar with quoting multiple posts) hit the nail on the head.

1. Who would you like to *meet*, as opposed to *watch*. I love Jason Brown and I love his bubbly personality, but my spousal unit has been a college professor for 40 years, and I have met my fill of 19 year olds. I'll talk to Jason in 20 years. *Now*, I would like to meet (if it must be an American), Scott, Brian, Dorothy, Tai and/or Randy, and of course Mr. Dick Button.

2. Facebook, happily in my view, is now the home of women of a certain age ... like me.:laugh: My nieces and nephews are on all those "top secret" sites (my 12 year old niece talks to OneD fans all over the world on one site that you can find "subject matter affiliation"; I asked her if they had skating as a topic, and she looked at me as if I had grown three heads) So when USFS says "meet", we take meet seriously. See point number 1.

That said, if Jason were at a meet and greet within 30 miles of my house, I'd go!

supsu

On the Ice
I think this and other posts above (I'm not yet familiar with quoting multiple posts) hit the nail on the head.

1. Who would you like to *meet*, as opposed to *watch*. I love Jason Brown and I love his bubbly personality, but my spousal unit has been a college professor for 40 years, and I have met my fill of 19 year olds. I'll talk to Jason in 20 years. *Now*, I would like to meet (if it must be an American), Scott, Brian, Dorothy, Tai and/or Randy, and of course Mr. Dick Button.

2. Facebook, happily in my view, is now the home of women of a certain age ... like me.:laugh: My nieces and nephews are on all those "top secret" sites (my 12 year old niece talks to OneD fans all over the world on one site that you can find "subject matter affiliation"; I asked her if they had skating as a topic, and she looked at me as if I had grown three heads) So when USFS says "meet", we take meet seriously. See point number 1.

That said, if Jason were at a meet and greet within 30 miles of my house, I'd go!

I think it's a combination of all the above posted.

And also, those who have seen interviews of skaters would rather meet someone who shares their opinions and is "real". I mean it's great that u have OGM but if u have no personality i'd rather meet someone else..... anyone else. :bang:

noskates

Record Breaker
Well my reading comprehension is just fine - and I'm still looking at the title of the thread. I STILL say that the oldies but goodies are more popular because there was more exposure to them than the current crop of skaters.

I met Jason Brown and talked to him for about 20 mins at Nationals and he was thoroughly delightful. The only other skater I would love to sit down and talk to at length would be Kurt Browning!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I dont' know in what universe anyone would seriously compare Gracie Gold to Michelle Kwan at this stage of her career. That's just plain silly.

Well my reading comprehension is just fine - and I'm still looking at the title of the thread. I STILL say that the oldies but goodies are more popular because there was more exposure to them than the current crop of skaters.

I met Jason Brown and talked to him for about 20 mins at Nationals and he was thoroughly delightful. The only other skater I would love to sit down and talk to at length would be Kurt Browning!

I consider you a GS pal :), noskates, but I for one never made a direct one-on-one comparison of Gracie Gold to Michelle Kwan. My reference to reading comprehension was a reaction to that particular part of your post and to similar comments in posts before yours.

(My devil's-advocate reply to your point re greater exposure for oldies but goodies: For fans of the sport -- the group most likely to respond to the FB question -- the Internet provides tons of extra exposure to current skaters. Oldies but goodies had greater TV exposure.)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
And also, those who have seen interviews of skaters would rather meet someone who shares their opinions and is "real". I mean it's great that u have OGM but if u have no personality i'd rather meet someone else..... anyone else. :bang:

Definitely! I think I would be more of a fan of US skaters if they weren't afraid to show an actual personality, independent thought or opinion (esp. while still actively competing)...sure there are a few notable exceptions, but for the most part, they are b.o.r.i.n.g.!

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I was thinking the same about meeting Kurt Browning. He was truly ahead of his time and he had those fantastic footwork sequences. His Antares Routine during the 1999-2000 season was incredible.

People are going to know about Yamaguichi and Kwan. I even think that Alissa Czisny had some star power during her early days.
Many of remember those days. For those of us who are in our 30's we remember those were wonderful times in this sport. So many great names in all of the disciplines.

supsu

On the Ice
Definitely! I think I would be more of a fan of US skaters if they weren't afraid to show an actual personality, independent thought or opinion (esp. while still actively competing)...sure there are a few notable exceptions, but for the most part, they are b.o.r.i.n.g.!

Amen to this!
I wonder where this culture has become cause i think in other sports they are a lot more vocal and show more personality...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, this is one area where Wagner is right on with her Olympic comments - the pressure from US public and media to act the part of the ice princess and show no personality whatsoever. Seems like the public and a lot of skatefans like it that way, and we're in the significant minority here.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
^Unfortunately, so many of my female friends like Ashley even though they're not into figure skating, they think she's badass because she's very fierce. They like a strong girl but most of the female skaters are pressured into playing that ice princess part so to them it's boring

It's probably because it's a judged sport, there's a lot more politics involved which sucks because sometimes the skaters keep so quiet and give really bland answers