Autism: Inclusive Ice Skating Helping 11-Year-Old Express Herself | Golden Skate

Autism: Inclusive Ice Skating Helping 11-Year-Old Express Herself

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
BBC Northern Ireland are currently running a fascinating and inspirational story about a young local skater.

As a preview, here are the first 4 paragraphs (the same as is displayed on the BBC's teletext service):

An 11-year-old girl, who is autistic and has ADHD, has said she struggled to express herself until she discovered ice skating.

Teddy Weston is a British and World champion in inclusive ice skating and is one of the first to represent NI.

Inclusive ice skating provides a safe space for people with additional needs and their families to enjoy the sport.

Teddy's mum, Claire, is hoping more children, like her daughter, can get involved in ice skating.

Full Story:

It's so good to see somebody putting Our Wee Country on the map in another branch of figure skating.

All the best for the future Teddy!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just found out by chance that, 5 months after BBC NI ran their story about her, Teddy was featured on the 9th December episode of the Sky News children's programme "FYI". (Can't say I've ever watched that programme before. I suppose it is kinda like the BBC's "Newsround", the difference being that this one is presented by children).

Here is the direct link to the report about Teddy, within the whole episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLiGSV2SNg&t=679

Don't be put off by the title of the video. It is referring to the main topic under discussion at the start of the episode. The report about Teddy is near the end of the episode.

She is just ADORABLE!!! :love: :love: :love:

Without giving away the elephant in the room, I loved the fact that Teddy's microphone matched something else that she was wearing.

And although she wasn't talking during the report, it was so nice to see Amy Irwin on the ice with Teddy. But, it makes me feel old seeing her acting as a coach. I remember the time when it was Amy that was our up and coming young prospect...

All the best to Teddy in adding to her already impressive collection of medals!

CaroLiza_fan

momma and teddy

Spectator
I just found out by chance that, 5 months after BBC NI ran their story about her, Teddy was featured on the 9th December episode of the Sky News children's programme "FYI". (Can't say I've ever watched that programme before. I suppose it is kinda like the BBC's "Newsround", the difference being that this one is presented by children).

Here is the direct link to the report about Teddy, within the whole episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLiGSV2SNg&t=679

Don't be put off by the title of the video. It is referring to the main topic under discussion at the start of the episode. The report about Teddy is near the end of the episode.

She is just ADORABLE!!! :love: :love: :love:

Without giving away the elephant in the room, I loved the fact that Teddy's microphone matched something else that she was wearing.

And although she wasn't talking during the report, it was so nice to see Amy Irwin on the ice with Teddy. But, it makes me feel old seeing her acting as a coach. I remember the time when it was Amy that was our up and coming young prospect...

All the best to Teddy in adding to her already impressive collection of medals!

CaroLiza_fan
Teddy says thank you so much!!! She also did Newsround, which was aired a couple of weeks ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/64150778