Axel Off Ice Drills | Golden Skate

Axel Off Ice Drills

thesinglelutz

Spectator
Hi All,

I’ve been working on axel on and off for about 3-4 years and have made it a goal with my coach to try and land it cleanly by the end of the year. I can land it 1/2-1/4 turn cheated and in backspin.

The issue I have is that I jump out and not up. I rotate late and on the way down. The two corrections I receive all the time are to “keep the right side back” and to “bend the leg” more going into it. I know the lack of bent knee on the entry is where the out problem with the jump is coming from 😅

However, I don’t think I’m properly understanding exactly what my coach is trying to have me do on the “keeping the right side back.” So, if I could please have someone maybe break down and explain in a different way, I think that might help.

I’d also appreciate any off ice drills to try and help correct the “right side back” technique. Time to put the work in to make this happen : )

Thank you in advance 😉

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not that I condone the style of jumping technique currently coming on the women's side from Russia, but the specific right side back can be seen well on the Eteri girls' Axels. They specifically lead with the jumping side with the free side back. Take a look at some YouTube of Scherbakova/Valieva/Trusova doing double/triple Axel to see what your coach is talking about on the extreme.

thesinglelutz

Spectator
Not that I condone the style of jumping technique currently coming on the women's side from Russia, but the specific right side back can be seen well on the Eteri girls' Axels. They specifically lead with the jumping side with the free side back. Take a look at some YouTube of Scherbakova/Valieva/Trusova doing double/triple Axel to see what your coach is talking about on the extreme.
Sorry for the late reply! But thank you for the video recommendation. I’m going to check it out now : )

tinna

Spectator
Coach Alexey Motorin talks about keeping the right side back on his tutorials on axels. I found his tutorials very helpful.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi All,

I’ve been working on axel on and off for about 3-4 years and have made it a goal with my coach to try and land it cleanly by the end of the year. I can land it 1/2-1/4 turn cheated and in backspin.

The issue I have is that I jump out and not up. I rotate late and on the way down. The two corrections I receive all the time are to “keep the right side back” and to “bend the leg” more going into it. I know the lack of bent knee on the entry is where the out problem with the jump is coming from 😅

However, I don’t think I’m properly understanding exactly what my coach is trying to have me do on the “keeping the right side back.” So, if I could please have someone maybe break down and explain in a different way, I think that might help.

I’d also appreciate any off ice drills to try and help correct the “right side back” technique. Time to put the work in to make this happen : )

Thank you in advance 😉
Hi! I also work with my axel off ice as well.
To get rotation (if you need it as well), I do 1/4 jumps (on both sides) and then go to 1/2 jumps and then full single jumps to 1 1/2 jumps! Also practicing doubles off ice can help with rotation as well. I also find the spinner to be really helpful--- I got my spinner from Amazon but Edea also makes some really good spinners as well! I do backspins on the spinner and then jump out of it (like a loop jump) or sometimes I would do a one foot spin on the spinner into an axel. This should probably help with your under-rotation b/c it helped me with mine <3 Also I find that breaking down the jump (like the entrance to the air position to the landing position) can help you understand how the jump is supposed to go, such as where to cross your legs and when to bend and when to keep the right side back (in your case)
Good luck! Axels are tricky :( but I'm sure you'll get it soon!