Blade Condition Advice | Golden Skate

Blade Condition Advice

LadyPanda

Spectator
Hello! I am wondering if anyone could advise me about the condition of my blades. These are attached to my beloved Risport RS4 (now the "Antares" model) figure skates; rarely worn, newly resurrected with an overpowering urge to find and commit to as much ice time as possible this year :) I was going to send them to a factory sharpening facility (there are none local here in Dublin, Ireland). I'd like to start figure skating again.

However I am now wondering if the blades should be replaced. They've been in storage in plastic blade guards in my bedroom for about 15 years (!!) I now know that this is unwise (ice soakers preferred!). Any advice much appreciated - thankyou!!

IMAGE 1 -

IMAGE 2 -

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hello and welcome! :)

It's a bit hard to tell from photos of course, plus I'm not an expert - but they don't look too bad considering how long it's been! I can see some discoloration along the bottom of the blades, but if I'm right (perhaps a big *if*, haha), it doesn't look like rust to me. I think a sharpening would remove it.

It is worth mentioning that the blades being OK might not necessarily mean you don't need new equipment! A lot can change in 15 years (your physical condition, your weight, the size and shape of your feet and ankles), and the skates that worked well for you then may not be the best ones for you now. I'm not sure if the RS4 is leather (I believe the Antares is) - but depending on the conditions it's stored under, leather can degrade over time as well, which might mean the boots aren't as supportive as they used to be. Without knowing more about your weight, foot shape/size, etc., it's hard to make a more specific recommendation - but if the RS4 is the same support level as the Antares, I think it's likely that you need a more supportive boot if you want to do more than basic skills like swizzles, stroking, and gliding.

If it's at all possible for you to see a reputable skate tech, it'd be ideal to have them at least take a look at your current skates to assess their condition, and to discuss whether you might be in need of new ones. @Ic3Rabbit might be able to tell you where to find a good tech - if not in the Dublin area, maybe at least somewhere you can get to without too much trouble!

Hope this is helpful, and cheers for planning a return to the ice! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I see a lot worse on a regular basis...!

But as @bostonskaterguy86 says above, a lot can change over 15 years with both feet/body and equipment. Your best possible course of action is to firstly find out whether regular travel to Dundonald Ice Bowl (which I believe is the only rink in Ireland, but I could be wrong) is feasible for you and - crucially - if you're still keen to skate. If it is and you are, then you can look at sorting out your equipment. You may find that there's a good blade tech at the rink. Ask the skaters there who they use.

I returned to skating after an 18 year hiatus and initially used my old SP-Teris. They felt fine, although tighter than I wanted after 18 years off!) and it was about 4 months before I got new boots.

The best place for you to go to get your blades sharpened or for new equipment is Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool, England. There is also a branch at Deesside but whichever you go to, Alison Holden herself is the only person that I can personally recommend for fitting.

I go to Everglides in Gosport (Hampshire south coast) as I'm in Cornwall, but that's even further for you to travel.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! They look like they just need a good sharpening after being unused and stored that way for 15 years. Find out who a proper fitter/sharpener is in your area (or @WednesdayMarch suggested some good ones you may be able to travel to outside of Ireland.

Good luck and welcome back to skating!:biggrin:

Last edited:

LadyPanda

Spectator
Thankyou both @bostonskaterguy86 and @Ic3Rabbit for your welcome and reply! It is very much appreciated!

I have indeed incorporated the hope to make visits to Dundonald Ice Bowl over the forthcoming year, and had considered the likelihood of there being a blade tech there ;-) 'Tis a long distance to travel alright but I was re-ignited and overwhelmed by the bug to return to skating after a visit to a seasonal rink in Dublin this year (and discovering an interview with an ice dancer at my old rink, Ron Warren, who still skates at age 83! That put to sleep any quibbles with myself about being 40 years old ;) What an inspiration. I'm also inspired to read about you returning to the ice after a long hiatus and thanks for the good wishes!

I had not considered the impact of ageing, height and weight profile on a suitable boot choice so thankyou again for that. I am 5'2 and muscular (about 10stone). It feels feasible that I should see how much ice time I'm able to commit to and then consider my boot options; boot technology seems ever evolving too. I had also found Al's Skateshop online with a postal sharpening service; good to have the recommendation here also :)

On a separate note I was looking into off ice skates (off-ice skates.com) for off ice practice; I am not sure if the recommendations for ice skates would translate to inline skates; curious to know if anyone has any experience; perhaps a question for another thread :)

All the best!

LadyPanda

Spectator
Hi! They look like they just need a good sharpening after being unused and stored that way for 15 years. Find out who a proper fitter is in your area (or @WednesdayMarch suggested some good ones you may be able to travel to outside of Ireland.

Good luck and welcome back to skating!:biggrin:
Thankyou so much for your recommendation and good wishes! :D X

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thankyou both @bostonskaterguy86 and @Ic3Rabbit for your welcome and reply! It is very much appreciated!

I have indeed incorporated the hope to make visits to Dundonald Ice Bowl over the forthcoming year, and had considered the likelihood of there being a blade tech there ;-) 'Tis a long distance to travel alright but I was re-ignited and overwhelmed by the bug to return to skating after a visit to a seasonal rink in Dublin this year (and discovering an interview with an ice dancer at my old rink, Ron Warren, who still skates at age 83! That put to sleep any quibbles with myself about being 40 years old ;) What an inspiration. I'm also inspired to read about you returning to the ice after a long hiatus and thanks for the good wishes!

I had not considered the impact of ageing, height and weight profile on a suitable boot choice so thankyou again for that. I am 5'2 and muscular (about 10stone). It feels feasible that I should see how much ice time I'm able to commit to and then consider my boot options; boot technology seems ever evolving too. I had also found Al's Skateshop online with a postal sharpening service; good to have the recommendation here also :)

On a separate note I was looking into off ice skates (off-ice skates.com) for off ice practice; I am not sure if the recommendations for ice skates would translate to inline skates; curious to know if anyone has any experience; perhaps a question for another thread :)

All the best!
First find the right boots for ice and then ideally get the same thing for off-ice skating.

I've tried both Off-Ice brand and Roll Line Linea and in my opinion the Roll Line Lineas are far superior, but I'm an ice dancer and dislike the longer back on the Off-Ice frames. The Lineas are also far better quality and you have a large choice of different wheels for different surfaces and speeds, whereas Off-Ice only use their own wheels and toe stops, which are expensive and not the best quality. There are plenty of different brands to choose from now, and Al's Skate Shop sells a few different ones, as does Everglides. I found that having the same make and model of boot on my inlines as I use on ice makes the transition between the two mediums much easier.

Facebook has a number of groups dedicated to artistic inline figure skating and you can find a lot of help and advice there, whereas this is primarily an ice skating forum.