Boot-baking | Golden Skate

Boot-baking

FlowerPower

Spectator
Hi, I wonder if anyone on here has experience with baking the boots in the oven at home, rather than taking them to a shop that does it? Has it worked? How high did you set the temperature? I would rather have the boots shaped properly but there isnt anyone doing it here and would like to avoid the guy with the special oven as he is very unpleasant to deal with...

Please don't put your boots in a kitchen oven! Boot ovens are COMPLETELY different. Your best bet will either be just going to the guy and keeping the interactions as brief as possible, or possibly traveling a little farther to a shop with someone more pleasant. Just curious, what brand/model are your boots and did you get them from a fitter?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi, I wonder if anyone on here has experience with baking the boots in the oven at home, rather than taking them to a shop that does it? Has it worked? How high did you set the temperature? I would rather have the boots shaped properly but there isnt anyone doing it here and would like to avoid the guy with the special oven as he is very unpleasant to deal with...
Eeek! Nononononono! Not in your home oven! All you'll achieve is the destruction of your new boots, and possibly render your oven unfit to bake food in. (I don't know about the latter; I just know in the doll-collecting world that people who like to do a makeover to the faces of purchased dolls buy a second kitchen stove reserved just for setting the paint because the fumes from the paint and vinyl do something to the lining of the oven that ruins it for food.) Can you get someone to go with you to Mr Unpleasant's workplace so the two of you can absorb yourselves in your own conversation and ignore him except for the necessary "yes/no/that's fine/how much" exchanges? Can wherever you bought the boots recommend someone else, if they don't do the heat-molding themselves? Where do you get your blades sharpened? The place I use, a winter-sports store nearer my home than the skate shop where I buy boots and therefore much more convenient, fortunately has someone there who does an excellent job on both hockey and figure skate blades, and has a couple of molding ovens for the boots of various sports. If he ever changes jobs, a lot of athletes in my city will be unhappy. But please don't resort to roast boots in your kitchen!