Boyang Jin and Shoma Uno JGPF show down! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin and Shoma Uno JGPF show down!

jimeonji

Final Flight
Shoma is a more balanced skater than Boyang, but I also prefer Petrov to either of them. I think Shoma's skating channels Daisuke so much that it makes me a little uncomfortable. I'd rather go back & watch Dai moving like that than a tiny teenager...if you know what I mean. Anyway, since Petrov will probably be third I can't get too excited about this "showdown," and my other favorite jrs. did not make the top 6. Maybe next time.
Perhaps if Nathan stays junior for another season it'll be a Chen vs Petrov showdown.

jimeonji

Final Flight
My bet's on Shoma - he's ridiculously consistent, the judges clearly love him (for good reason), and he's got two quads in the free and a vastly improved 3A in his short. Boyang's more prone to headcasing (see Jr Worlds this past season) and doesn't get Shoma/Nathan level PCS. I'm honestly hoping that Petrov will beat Boyang as well. Unless Boyang improves his basic skating skills drastically there's no reason for me to like his skating, imho.

LRK

Record Breaker
Perhaps if Nathan stays junior for another season it'll be a Chen vs Petrov showdown.

I wonder if either of them will be skating junior next year? I understand Chen is concentrating on doing senior Nationals this year, and therefore only did one GP? And Petrov is already doing senior B:s, so.... ?

LRK

Record Breaker
Shoma is a more balanced skater than Boyang, but I also prefer Petrov to either of them. I think Shoma's skating channels Daisuke so much that it makes me a little uncomfortable. I'd rather go back & watch Dai moving like that than a tiny teenager...if you know what I mean. Anyway, since Petrov will probably be third I can't get too excited about this "showdown," and my other favorite jrs. did not make the top 6. Maybe next time.

Who are they, galiavich? I'm curious; and I'll keep an eye out for them if I knew. :)

jimeonji

Final Flight
I wonder if either of them will be skating junior next year? I understand Chen is concentrating on doing senior Nationals this year, and therefore only did one GP? And Petrov is already doing senior B:s, so.... ?

I believe he was injured earlier on so he only did one JGP. He said on his ask.fm that he's not sure if he will be going senior internationally next season. And you're right, Petrov did just go to Finlandia and did great, but it might be wise for him to say junior one more season while Shoma and Boyang move up - so I guess we'll see. He could give Pitkeev a good challenge, I think.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Who are they, galiavich? I'm curious; and I'll keep an eye out for them if I knew. :)

Well, I don't know that they would all be your cup of tea, but I like Andrew Torgashev (US), Matyas Belohradsky (CZE), Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT), Dmitry Aliev (RUS), and Simon Hocquax (FRA). Simon was the one that skated to Inception and reminded me of a young Joubert.

I think Mishin said somewhere that Petrov will go senior next season - though I suppose that could change. I cannot wait for the Petrov/Pitkeev rivalry. :popcorn:

But personally I think Petrov might be better than both Shoma and Boyang in the future... Because Mishin knows better. He knows that you shouldn't push youngsters too much when they are still growing. But anyways it's just my humble opinion. As for now I see that it's either Shoma or Boyang for the gold.

Like when Plushenko was landing his first quads at 15 yo ?
I agree Yagudin was 17 when he had to do them in competition. And probably Urmanov around the 17/18 mark.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Like when Plushenko was landing his first quads at 15 yo ?
I agree Yagudin was 17 when he had to do them in competition. And probably Urmanov around the 17/18 mark.
That's why I said Mishin might know better. He has been through all the Urmanov, Yagudin, Plushy, Gachinksi, Liza. :biggrin: you know what I mean. With Petrov it's so obvious that he is approaching more carefully than his previous students. If you read his recent interviews.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Shoma is head and shoulders above Boyang in presentation. He may look small, but he skates with great maturity and conviction. Boyang is either "Umm, maybe wait a few years before you try this?" (SP) or "How can something be so awful and boring at the same time?" (LP). That being said, Shoma's struggle with the 3A and smallish jumps could give Boyang the win, and I wouldn't protest if Boyang performed all his tech content.

I like Petrov more than either of them, but without a quad, I think he does deserve to end up behind if they skate clean. But, if they make mistakes, I hope he wins, instead of some "well, it was a fully rotated fall."

unico

Final Flight
Well, I don't know that they would all be your cup of tea, but I like Andrew Torgashev (US), Matyas Belohradsky (CZE), Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT), Dmitry Aliev (RUS), and Simon Hocquax (FRA). Simon was the one that skated to Inception and reminded me of a young Joubert.
I don't exactly remember most of the juniors, but I definitely remember Vasiljevs! So charming, so musical, and so young!

As for Jin vs Uno, I don't particularly have a preference for one over the other, I think they both have their good points and weaknesses. I will be chuffed for Uno if he manages to land his 3A cleanly, and if he does (and he hits the rest of his elements) then I think his GOE+PCS should push him just slightly over Jin. But let the best young man on the day win :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Shoma is head and shoulders above Boyang in presentation. He may look small, but he skates with great maturity and conviction. Boyang is either "Umm, maybe wait a few years before you try this?" (SP) or "How can something be so awful and boring at the same time?" (LP). That being said, Shoma's struggle with the 3A and smallish jumps could give Boyang the win, and I wouldn't protest if Boyang performed all his tech content.
I like Petrov more than either of them, but without a quad, I think he does deserve to end up behind if they skate clean. But, if they make mistakes, I hope he wins, instead of some "well, it was a fully rotated fall."
I am team Petrov as well. I totally agree with you at all points. Especially the blod part. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker

My complete and utter "I know nothing about juniors really"-hunch is that Petrov may very well win the short - but I don't think he will win overall.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think if they all will go perfect with their programs Shoma will win propably if they will reward him with PCS. Boyang have quads, Shoma has best presentation of them and two quads in LP, Petrov has I think the best textbook jumps out of them but no quad

So I would bet 1. Shoma 2. Boyang 3. Petrov . It will be interesting we will see

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Team Shoma until Boyang's jump quality improves. Then I'll be team Boyang for technical prowess.
Otherwise, if Shoma goes clean, he will win.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hard to say... I really prefer Shoma's skating style, but he still skates a bit too "small" for me. Boyang's jumps are pretty impressive and I'm all for a strong technical skate, however I'm not liking his programs this season. I'm gonna say Boyang takes the win, and I'm actually going to say Petrov spoils for silver. :) I'm wondering about Shoma's consistency, especially with his axel... and his lutz and quad aren't at a point where I'm certain he'll land them.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Hard to say... I really prefer Shoma's skating style, but he still skates a bit too "small" for me. Boyang's jumps are pretty impressive and I'm all for a strong technical skate, however I'm not liking his programs this season. I'm gonna say Boyang takes the win, and I'm actually going to say Petrov spoils for silver. :) I'm wondering about Shoma's consistency, especially with his axel... and his lutz and quad aren't at a point where I'm certain he'll land them.

Keep in mind that he hasn't fallen on a single non 3A jump this season. It's his first season putting in a quad (2!) and he hasn't fallen; it's his first season with a lutz edge that doesn't have an e next to it and he hasn't fallen. To everyone doubting Shoma's consistency, please take a look at this spreadsheet here, at the very last picture that shows his results from 13-14 season. Disregarding the 3A, he fell on exactly one jumping pass at the very beginning of the season and underrotated a 3S at the same competition. At every competition since then, he has not fallen on nor underrotated a single non3A jump (other than his 2nd 4T at JGP Japan). If that's not consistency, then I don't know what is.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Considering Petrov's high placements in Finlandia and Coupe de Nice, I think he has a even chance with Boyang and Shoma for the gold.
His 3As are better than both the other guys, so if either of them slip up even a tiny bit, Petrov could take the title.
So exciting! The more contenders there are the better. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
My thought is that Petrov may well have a lead after the SP - because of the 3As. But will it be enough to fend off Boyang and Shoma for the LP?

ETA - Petrov has already beaten Boyang in the SP this season - only to lose to him in the LP and overall. I can see a similar scenario unfolding again.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Petrov can hang - he scored a 231 and change in Coup de Nice, so he can take it all. It could turn out to be a very close race. The thing is, though - Petrov has to be perfect, because he has no quads. Uno has more atristry than Jin. Jin has 3 quads vs. Uno's 2. As I said, it could turn out to be a very close race.

jace93

On the Ice
I think Petrov can hang - he scored a 231 and change in Coup de Nice, so he can take it all. It could turn out to be a very close race. The thing is, though - Petrov has to be perfect, because he has no quads. Uno has more atristry than Jin. Jin has 3 quads vs. Uno's 2. As I said, it could turn out to be a very close race.

He was way overscored in Nice, but I think a 220~ score is attainable for him... I think it will actually come down to who's cleaner between the three of them and unless one of them completely bombs they're all lock for a medal...