Break-through season for Sweden's Andreas Nordeback | Golden Skate

Break-through season for Sweden's Andreas Nordeback

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will be working with David Wilson on new programs this season! Reveals journey into the sport, challenges with scoliosis, goals, and more!

"I try to always be positive," said Nordeback when asked how he would describe himself. "I like to take life in a fun way, not too serious. But I have various sides of me: there is the serious and the playful Andreas."

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Andreas in this new season! I enjoyed both of his programs from 2022/3. He's definitely on my radar now, and it sounds like he has a good mindset for skating, and could be quite versatile as a skater. Interesting article overall!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so impressed by Andreas, and not just for unique music choices. Overcoming scoliosis for a skater cannot be easy at all.

And this paragraph should sum up every skater's attitude toward every comp (and probably does, but Andreas phrases it so well)

“My biggest goal is to inspire people at my highest potential,” said Nordeback. “Winning medals and achieving high results is of course nice, but it’s more about finishing on my highest peak. I want to reach my highest possible potential. It’s my general goal in life regarding every aspect. I want to become the best version of myself!”

Weathergal

Medalist
I had no idea about the scoliosis either - I can't imagine how much more challenging that makes things for him. I really enjoy his skating and look forward to what he brings to this season. His "Hurt" SP last season was one of my favorites of the season for sure. I wondered how such a young person could bring such feeling to the program, but after reading the article, it's obvious he's very mature for his age and is a creative soul. Props to Benoit Richaud for suggesting this to him and choreographing such a great program! I know Benoit's not everyone's cup of tea, but I often enjoy his work (I think he's done some cool stuff for Bradie Tennell, among others). David Wilson is a mixed bag for me, so I was a little disappointed to read Andreas is getting both programs from him for this season, but hopefully it will be another great collaboration.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sad to hear about Andreas’ scoliosis. Sounds like he can handle it with off ice training. Good if he doesn’t need surgery.

Andreas is not the first Swedish skater with back problems. Recently Nikolaj Majorov switched to dance because jumps were to hard on his body. Adrian Schultheiss(the first nordic skater nailing a quad in competition) had a back surgery that didn’t help. He didn't want to take the risk with another surgery and quit in 2012 I think at 22/23 years old? He’s now coaching in Florida. Here.

It’s pretty amazing that a small fed like Sweden still has men to count on. It’s not like figure skating is a popular sport to do for boys. On the contrary.

I was worried that Andreas had quit when he didn’t compete in the 20/21 season, whatever the reason. As I remember it Sweden had strict rules for training during that covid season. And many junior comps were cancelled, right?

I’m glad his older brother Mikael chose figure skating instead of hockey. And inspired Andreas to figure skate as well. They were both on the national team for a while. And as a treat…. there is also a little brother Daniel who wants to follow. He’s nine or ten.

“We are looking to start working on my quads more in depth late July and across August. I’m not worried about landing my quads, but more so to stay healthy and be able to do them without injuring myself.”

I wonder why he chose David Wilson as a choreographer. For both programs. I wish he had kept Hurt for short. What I know Wilson does a lot of choreography for many skaters. Hopefullly he has time to find interesting music and moves for Andreas. I’m a bit worried.

Anyway he’s good at presentation and likes to be creative with his own and younger skaters programs. My impression of his club, ’Skating & dance academy’, is that it’s an open, including club with opportunities for everyone who wants to figure skate/dance on any level.

Way to go Andreas! Put Swedish mens figure skating on the map!

I had no idea about the scoliosis either - I can't imagine how much more challenging that makes things for him. I really enjoy his skating and look forward to what he brings to this season. His "Hurt" SP last season was one of my favorites of the season for sure. I wondered how such a young person could bring such feeling to the program, but after reading the article, it's obvious he's very mature for his age and is a creative soul. Props to Benoit Richaud for suggesting this to him and choreographing such a great program! I know Benoit's not everyone's cup of tea, but I often enjoy his work (I think he's done some cool stuff for Bradie Tennell, among others). David Wilson is a mixed bag for me, so I was a little disappointed to read Andreas is getting both programs from him for this season, but hopefully it will be another great collaboration.
Let's hope :)

Last edited: