Breakthrough for “late bloomer” Hendrickx | Golden Skate

Breakthrough for “late bloomer” Hendrickx

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jorik Hendrickx of Belgium has been around for a while, competing at the international level since 2007. Many fans appreciate his skating, and he is an example for how hard work and preseverance can pay off when you come from a small country and don’t have much support.

Finishing fourth at the recent 2017 ISU European Figure Skating Championships in Ostrava, Czech Republic, was Hendrickx’s best result at the event so far.

“I’m extremely happy with both programs,” said the 24-year-old. “For now, it’s the maximum I can do and I feel very appreciated by the judges. They appreciate my style and all the work I put in developing myself as a skater and as an artist. I didn’t loose a bronze medal, but I won a fourth place.”

Hendrickx’s result is the best for a skater from Belgium since Kevin van der Perren’s second European bronze medal in 2009. Van der Perren, who was known for his jumping ability, was the first skater from the small country in Western Europe to win medals at ISU European Championships in 50 years.

“I could never dream of being so close to the podium, even it was still eight or more points,” said Hendrickx. “I never expected this. I did my first triple when I was 16 years old. I assume I’m a late bloomer, so we never know what will happen in the future.”

More

The skater is currently working on two quads, but doesn't know when or if they will be able to be incorporated into routines. What are your thoughts? How will he fare if he can get one quad? Two?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
His skates at Euros were great! Looking forward to see where he'll go from here!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So happy for Jorik!! I really enjoy his skating. :hap10:

AidenAiena

Rinkside
I love Jorik!!! He always responds to anything I post about him on Facebook & Twitter. He stayed with a friend of mine for a week to train and she said he was a very nice person. I think since his sister was competing at Europeans it may have allowed him to project all of his nervousness onto her skating rather than his own!

sarama

Medalist
I was very happy for Jorik at Euros, he is a very enjoyable skater to watch....but I already knew that, while his little sister was a very pleasant surprise! I don't know how but I had NEVER heard of her so I was absolutely blown away by her performances in Ostrava!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I must admit I really loved his performances at Euros, he was hands down my favorite to watch. I'm really happy that I'll be able to see him at Worlds!

Weathergal

Medalist
Really impressive to see how Jorik continues to improve, and I was really happy for him at Euros. I knew he trained with his sister Loena and that he spoke very fondly of her. It was obvious that they were close, but I had no idea that his support for her is even financial nor did I know how much they struggle just to be able to train and compete. She looked great at Euros and knowing all this makes her accomplishments and his even more impressive. He sounds like a wonderful brother and a great guy! Wishing they both can continue to skate as long as they wish to pursue it and here's hoping they can compete at the Olympics together!

Now I'm wondering how many other brother/sister singles competed at the same events... :think:

Celine

On the Ice
Well on the road to becoming a fan favorite. His social media activity is also a pleasure.

charmblade

Final Flight
I met Jorik very briefly at Worlds last year and he was super nice! He's been one of my favorites to root for ever since. I'm so happy to see his consistency this season and the results he's been getting.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Jorik that he did so well at Europeans. What a talented family! I have seen him twice at Sk Amer and last year at Worlds. I always enjoy his skating! I went to practices for the first time this year at SA, and it was really enjoyable to watch him practice. I heard him talking to the person who was announcing the music at the men's practice. Wow! His English is better than mine! I wish him all the best. :hap10:

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
I have loved Jorik since I saw him for the first time. Amazing artist and beautiful man. Incredible that he achieved his first triple at the age of 16.

Every Euros there is always the little moment of surprise when I think:" Oh yeah. Jorik is the entries!"