Champions Returning Post Hiatus | Golden Skate

Champions Returning Post Hiatus

Tallorder

On the Ice
After glory in Sochi and the prior quad, a return from a hiatus is clearly a challenge not to be taken lightly. From what we're seeing as this season comes to a close and we are at the halfway mark through an Olympic cycle, former dominant champions (Mao, Chan) and those who scaled to brilliant heights in Sochi (Volosozhar/Trankov) find themselves right in the mix, but also readily challenged, and of course, with no "guarantees."
Next season will bring the return of more World champions (Kostner, Virtue/Moir).

What do people think will define those who "succeed" competitively, and those who perhaps do not return to quite the same heights of their previous competitive successes?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, it can't be easy for any of them because while they took time off, the sport has been progressing without them, and they were out of the groove of competing. In most cases, age is no longer on their side either. Plus you have to find the motivation to go on. The more I think about it, the more impressive it is that any of them chose to come back. If you have the titles already it's very easy to go out on top, retire and do shows or leave the sport entirely.

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, it can't be easy for any of them because while they took time off, the sport has been progressing without them, and they were out of the groove of competing. In most cases, age is no longer on their side either. Plus you have to find the motivation to go on. The more I think about it, the more impressive it is that any of them chose to come back. If you have the titles already it's very easy to go out on top, retire and do shows or leave the sport entirely.

The big thing with 'champions' returning is them understanding what won 2 years ago is not going to win this year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm actually surprised pairs has evolved so quickly in just two years. After Sochi, I thought the level that the gold medalists showed would be enough to keep them at the top the next four years but that wasn't the case. The other teams worked hard to surpass the level VT showed at the Olympics, while the gold medalists are struggling just to maintain that form.

andromache

Record Breaker
Mao, Chan, and V/T all returned this season with a lot of hype here. (Remember the Chan v. Hanyu and Mao v. Liza threads? Was there a V/T v D/R thread too?) But those returning champions ended up somewhat superseded by first-year seniors (Evgenia, Shoma, Boyang). Last year's post-Olympic field wasn't the deepest, and these skaters would've had less competition last year--but with first year seniors and other skaters upping their game. V/T weren't threatened by new seniors, but by St/Kl and S/H really improving a lot since last season. Plus, V/T had injury issues that prevented them from competing at times.

All three had some great moments and some not so great moments. They're still in the mix when they skate well, but they simply haven't been consistent. It's not that they're being beaten at their best, but they have rarely given us their best. Hopefully they will be more consistent next season. I personally don't mind that none of the returning champions have dominated; it makes the competitions more interesting.

I don't expect a whole lot from Carolina. She's always been inconsistent and may not have the most difficult jumps, but I'm sure we will get beautiful skates from her. V/M, I think, have the best chance at getting to the top, just because ice dance performances are generally more consistent (no jumps to meltdown on).

But no one should be counting on former champions to return and "save" the disciplines from newcomers who some fans find unworthy.

whatif

Medalist
Carolina is coming back? Really? Now that's going to be a disaster. Talk about unnecessary.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm actually surprised pairs has evolved so quickly in just two years. After Sochi, I thought the level that the gold medalists showed would be enough to keep them at the top the next four years but that wasn't the case. The other teams worked hard to surpass the level VT showed at the Olympics, while the gold medalists are struggling just to maintain that form.

I think it's important to note that T in V/T had major shoulder surgery that prevented them from competing last year, so easy to think they lost some of 2014's precision, add on top of that the need to improve from 2014's level, that's a tall order for 1 year. Should they decide to continue to 2018 (some comments from them seem to suggest it's not as clear as it was after Sochi that they would continue to 2018), hopefully today served as a big wake-up call that they need to up their game, better now then at the next Olympics for that to happen, they have time to right the ship.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I would say, that Nina Mozer and her former top pair still belong to the best, maybe it is a very subjective opinion, but the layout of the programs is not much worse than of the other pairs and at parts even better, like the opening sequence, which I believe no other nation does as well, as the Russians. Right from the start, you are introduced to the story - for me unmatched and very present with all three pairs.

The issue for Tati & Max, however, was his injury that he obviously still struggled with and two programs, especially the Free that were not clean. If they would have gone clean, I am pretty sure they would be third now or maybe even second and this would be a very good result, for two people who were gone for quite some time.

The Canadians were fantastic, their athleticism and also artistry are really good, I felt especially Eric has improved there a lot and I really enjoy this program, it suits them and their personalities. They are two present skaters and yet one -it is amazing to watch.

What happens to the others that return, we don´t know yet, but in general it is true. To return as a former champion is always risky, look at Michael Schumacher who was never able to dominate or get anywhere near his former accomplishments. But then again, you have people like Kim Clysters, who came back and won the US Open, so it is not a "you can´t do it" thing, it just needs a lot of luck to stay injury free, have a not too changing workplace and of course also the hunger for more.

For me personally, it was very sad to see Maxim and Tatiana today, it must have hurt them a lot to not be able to deliver a good performance, it´s not so much about not winning a medal I believe, but to disappoint their fans and friends. I wouldn't write them off, as some of you might do now. Remember that the winners were as well, not seen as a competitive pair a while ago and now they delivered such a huge skate.

Time will tell, but I do believe in Dracula and his bride, they are so important for our sport with or without the quads.

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Carolina is coming back? Really? Now that's going to be a disaster. Talk about unnecessary.

I like her skating a lot..but she is 29 years old (!!), how does she want to compete in technique with 16-17 year old wunderkids? She is old even compared to 22-23 year old skaters. She peaked in 2012 where she became World Champion and then again in 2014 where she got an Olympic medal and a Worlds medal too. It is not only unnecessary but dangerous because of getting injuries easier. She should let it go. :palmf:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it's important to note that T in V/T had major shoulder surgery that prevented them from competing last year, so easy to think they lost some of 2014's precision, add on top of that the need to improve from 2014's level, that's a tall order for 1 year. Should they decide to continue to 2018 (some comments from them seem to suggest it's not as clear as it was after Sochi that they would continue to 2018), hopefully today served as a big wake-up call that they need to up their game, better now then at the next Olympics for that to happen, they have time to right the ship.

A big problem for them is that, at their age, it's probably much more difficult to make the needed technical upgrades. The top Chinese pair is very young and I think they will make great improvements in the next few seasons. I don't see VT doing a quad twist or, despite the height she gets, a throw 4S or 4Lo.

Amei

Record Breaker
A big problem for them is that, at their age, it's probably much more difficult to make the needed technical upgrades. The top Chinese pair is very young and I think they will make great improvements in the next few seasons. I don't see VT doing a quad twist or, despite the height she gets, a throw 4S or 4Lo.

Hasn't Maxim specifically said they wouldn't be doing quads? And practicing quads is how they have gotten injured several times? - I think I read it in the 'Quads should be banned' thread.

I'm predicting it now. Boyang Jin in 2018.

I will be most interested in Virtue and Moir next year. I don't think they will start where they left off. I expect that they will be chasing Papadakis and Cizeron like everyone else.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I like her skating a lot..but she is 29 years old (!!), how does she want to compete in technique with 16-17 year old wunderkids? She is old even compared to 22-23 year old skaters. She peaked in 2012 where she became World Champion and then again in 2014 where she got an Olympic medal and a Worlds medal too. It is not only unnecessary but dangerous because of getting injuries easier. She should let it go. :palmf:

I've never been a fan of Caro, but there are a lot of different reasons why she might want to compete and they are really nobody's business but her own. I doubt she has any delusions that she's going to come back and dominate. Some athletes really enjoy competing (imagine that!) and the medals are not the only thing driving them. And honestly, the other Italian girls are not much of a threat right now, although I would love to see Giada up her technical ante & do well. I like her brand of artistry more than Caro's, in fact.