Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White!

About names, just as a random sample here is how a fancy-schmantzy Rhode Island event was reported recently. (The event was the presentation ceremony for the 2015 Pell Award for distinguished service in the arts, to actress Debra Messing. The award is named after former senator Claiborne Pell (who established the National Endowment for the Arts) and his late widow Nuala Pell, a prominent Rhode Island philanthropist and patron of the arts.

All five of Senator Claiborne Pell's grandchildren will serve as honorary chairs for the event, including Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Neal; Clay Pell and Michelle Kwan; Nicholas and Annie Pell; Dr. Tripler Pell and Tawfik Hammoud; and Eames Yates, Jr. Together with business, political and social leaders, guests at the gala will mingle and enjoy delicious food and desserts provided by Russell Morin Fine Catering.

Mrs. Christopher Neal is Clay Pell’s sister Christina Pell Neal, a well- regarded artist.

heyang

Record Breaker
If written as Charlie White and Tanith White, it would denote divorced. It gets confusing when there are different last names: Charlie White and Tanith Belbin, or Charlie White and Tanith Belbin-White, could mean either married or divorced.

I always thought that Mrs lady's name man's last name = widow. When my father was still alive, everything was addressed as Mr and Mrs David Dong. When my father passed away, mail came as Mrs Janet Dong.

A lot of this is cultural. In Russia, I think most women keep their maiden names. Spain is also matriarchal. My SIL hyphenated because her 1st name did not go well with our last name, but the kids' friends call her Mrs. Dong. Some of my female co-workers who grew up in China kept their maiden names - They said this is common in China - makes it trickier for me to address Christmas cards to their homes because I don't always know if they are using their husband's family name or their own.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And do we expect stunning blond kids? Are these two natural blondes? Time for baby pictures to see what we can expect. I think they will have babies and I wonder if they will ever team up as pros. I really want to see the other pics. Wonder what Meryl wore. Was her date maks?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
About names, just as a random sample here is how a fancy-schmantzy Rhode Island event was reported recently. (The event was the presentation ceremony for the 2015 Pell Award for distinguished service in the arts, to actress Debra Messing. The award is named after former senator Claiborne Pell (who established the National Endowment for the Arts) and his late widow Nuala Pell, a prominent Rhode Island philanthropist and patron of the arts.

All five of Senator Claiborne Pell's grandchildren will serve as honorary chairs for the event, including Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Neal; Clay Pell and Michelle Kwan; Nicholas and Annie Pell; Dr. Tripler Pell and Tawfik Hammoud; and Eames Yates, Jr. Together with business, political and social leaders, guests at the gala will mingle and enjoy delicious food and desserts provided by Russell Morin Fine Catering.

Mrs. Christopher Neal is Clay Pell’s sister Christina Pell Neal, a well- regarded artist.

Thx, Mathman :). Very illustrative array of different ways the women choose to ID themselves :yes:.

BTW, if anyone is curious (as I was ;)), Dr. Tripler Pell is Pell's granddaughter, whose husband is Tawfik Hammoud.

And do we expect stunning blond kids? Are these two natural blondes? ...

I expect their kids, if any, to be as beautiful on the inside and the outside as their parents are.

(Why in the world would it matter what color the kids' hair will be?)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wishing the happy couple the best. Regardless of name and I am not sure we know how Tanith will represent herself she always will be an Olympic and world medallist and simply a beautiful bride - gorgeous. I love the simple dress and cake. Charlie's hair does looked professionally streaked in some photos.. I love the fact tanith recognizes the uniqueness of the bridesmaids. I know this sound s a lot shall we say frivolous but aren't some of us a bit curious who was invited. Zueva? Her son who dated tanith for a while? Virtue and Moir their arch rivals but training mates? the shibutanis? Enquiring minds want to know. lol

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Wishing the happy couple the best. Regardless of name and I am not sure we know how Tanith will represent herself she always will be an Olympic and world medallist and simply a beautiful bride - gorgeous. I love the simple dress and cake. Charlie's hair does looked professionally streaked in some photos.. I love the fact tanith recognizes the uniqueness of the bridesmaids. I know this sound s a lot shall we say frivolous but aren't some of us a bit curious who was invited. Zueva? Her son who dated tanith for a while? Virtue and Moir their arch rivals but training mates? the shibutanis? Enquiring minds want to know. lol
The Shibutanis were there, Maia twetted a picture. Agosto was there and Douglas Razzano. I bet all the money Marina was there, don't think Scott and Tessa were there.

https://twitter.com/MaiaShibutani/status/592852279398662144

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... aren't some of us a bit curious who was invited. Zueva? Her son who dated tanith for a while? Virtue and Moir their arch rivals but training mates? the shibutanis? Enquiring minds want to know. lol

Charlie and Tanith obviously wanted to keep the event relatively small. 130 guests is not very many at all.

Ben and Meryl, of course :).

Non-exhaustive list from social media of some skating-types who attended: the Shibutanis; Evan Bates; Madi Chock; Doug Razzano.

(Virtue/Moir have been immersed in two weeks of rehearsals in Canada for CSOI. I doubt they would have been able to attend. I don't claim to know whether they were invited.)

TMC

Record Breaker
Alex S. posted a photo (with a very sweet message) on FB where Tanith is pinning a 'Birthday Boy' pin on his pocket square. On her wedding day.

Celine

On the Ice
A very touching picture posted by Alex with the beautiful and thoughtful bride, Tanith.

https://instagram.com/p/1_zwF4Qmzr/?taken-by=alexshibutani

Alex's Caption: "Let me explain this picture. This is Tanith pinning a giant "Birthday Boy" button to my pocket square on her wedding day. Always kind, always thoughtful... Individually, and as a couple, she and Charlie have always been there for me. Throughout my life and career so far, they've been two of my greatest influences, role models, and friends.

Simply put, I love them both very much."

Barb

Record Breaker
A very touching picture posted by Alex with the beautiful and thoughtful bride, Tanith.

https://instagram.com/p/1_zwF4Qmzr/?taken-by=alexshibutani

Alex's Caption: "Let me explain this picture. This is Tanith pinning a giant "Birthday Boy" button to my pocket square on her wedding day. Always kind, always thoughtful... Individually, and as a couple, she and Charlie have always been there for me. Throughout my life and career so far, they've been two of my greatest influences, role models, and friends.

Simply put, I love them both very much."

awww, super cute!!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
A really nice picture. I thought I read somewhere that the skirt of her gown was pink, but I haven't seen that. Maybe it goes pink near the hem?

I'd really like to see the bridesmaids in their dresses. Maybe there will be a photo spread in People Magazine.

Another picture in the same instagram says:

Wait till you see the fabulously fun detail of her pink ombré skirt!!!

So I think is just like the border of the skirt...

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Last edited: