CoP: Why do Level 1 moves? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

CoP: Why do Level 1 moves?

Linny

Final Flight
Choosing a level

The Tech Spec can use replays to make the final decision as to level 1, 2 or 3... and supposedly has a long list of criteria on which to base the decision.

The judge merely says "nice job, add 1, 2 or 3 points to the base value" or "not so hot, subtract 1, 2 or 3 points from the base value".

Please don't hestitate to correct me if I'm wrong here.

With regards to adding more difficult moves in-between, well even the best of them all at this point, Plushy, does a basic crossover, gain speed, big trick, more crossovers, another big trick, then gets set up for the footwork. Methinks that it will be the next generation of skaters who can do fancy entrances to multiple jump passes that include quads or 3-3s.

Linny

S

SkateFan4Life

I have to think that a beautifully executed "Level 1" footwork sequence will earn decent marks under the new rules. After all, the ISU has finally realized that figure skating is not just all about jumps, showy tricks, and the like. Flow, balance, expression, and carriage all mean something now, and three cheers that they do! IMHO, I would much rather see a skater before "simpler" moves in great fashion than fall all over the ice attempting to do quads and/or moves they simply cannot do masterfully.

Obviously, of course, skaters have to upt the ante on their footwork and on their jumps in order to present well-balanced programs. It's wonderful to see how many of the skaters have taken the challenge and have incorporated more intricate footwork and choreography into their programs! đź‘Ť

Linny

Final Flight
Nicely done

There was a Holiday special filmed on a barge on Las Vegas Lake... anyone else see it? None of the usual name skaters, and the ice surface was small. Still, some of the skaters did unusual moves that were elegant and interesting. I'm guessing that they'd be considered Level One under CoPs... yet, it was very nice to see something that wasn't run of the mill. My reaction was "Gee, I hope that some of the eligible athletes are watching".

Linny