Costumes that do double duty | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Costumes that do double duty

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I see your point, and might relive the flack.

Joesitz said:
Sorry but I have to take the opposite view. I do not like costumes in figure skating as a sport. I prefer uniforms as is with all sports. All skaters should be equal in every which way and judged soley on their skating skills. I don't like to overhear that the skater would have done better if she had a better costume.

However, nothing wrong with costumes, makeup, hair grooming, and anything else that works for Show Skating a la COI and SOI.

Joe

It seems like this takes figure skating away from other sports and can possibly be one of the reasons that it can take some flack - "not being a sport."

Never the less I feel this is exactly one of the things that make it stand out as a unique sport. Most of all it almost requires that the skater express themselves as an individual which I love. The balance of entertainment and athletics is above all the "prize of figure skating."

I don't disagree, just prefer it the way it is. Most definitely would I still be watching if it was "uniforms," yet I don't think I would be as interested in the athletes personality if they were looking like a bunch of gymnasts or hockey players without the pads. JMO

antmanb

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Honestly? I thought that glove stunt was stupid. Bad enough ice dance gets razzed for the (admittedly truly) tacky costumes, no one needs to turn it into Cirque du Soleil, with a stunt that's obviously intended for the benefit of the television viewers. The gloves are too small for anyone in the audience, or the judges, to see in detail without the aid of a lens. Not to mention it's a distraction move--it requires no real artistry beyond remembering which hand goes which way, much as the drapey-flowy-gauzy look was started because it was a good way to mesmerize judges, get them watching the upper body to conceal that the feet weren't really doing anything.

If I wanted to to go to the circus, I'd go to the circus.

Robin Cousins (during the olympics) was full of disdain for the gloves that dance couple wore! It was great - Robin rarely says nasty things at all...and it wasn't really what he said it was just his tone of voice. First of all he said he didn't understand what was going on with the gloves then they did the move and he said that he didn't really understand why they went to so much trouble for one tiny part of the program that had nothing to do with actually skating!!!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Does anyone remember a free skate that Vanessa Gusmeroli used at either the 99 or 00 Worlds where she was supposed to be a jewel thief and at one point she did something or other with a glove she was wearing and a "diamond bracelet" appeared? I know I'm describing it very vaguely, but to this day, even tho I have it on tape, I'm still not sure exactly what it was she did.

I do remember that - there was like a glass smashing sound effect and then she did something on her wrist and bracelet appeared! I always assume it was flap of material velcro'd there or maybe a black wrist band she pulled down.

Are we seeing a pattern yet...french, french...french?! Dambier (who i love) had a silly moment at the end of this year's Carmina Burana (sp?) SP where he got into his final pose and then ripped part of his costume off...i didn't really get why he had to do that but still...

And if we want the king of baaaaaaaaaaaad costumes you need look no further than Cadneloro!!! Anyone remember his Lukey Luke program?!

Ant

Linny

Final Flight
Uniforms

Skaters wearing uniforms would be the death of the sport. Already, you can't tell one jump from another in the air. Only the take-off positions give them away. Imagine how the skaters would all blend into each other if they were all dressed the same.

'Course I say that from a position of being involved in a sport that many liken to watching grass grow - dressage. The riders wear uniforms, most of the horses are brown with just a few grays. Unless you are knowledgable about the movements, all the horses/riders look the same with the exception of Art Deco.

Linny

Jane2

Rinkside
antmanb said:
I

And if we want the king of baaaaaaaaaaaad costumes you need look no further than Cadneloro!!! Anyone remember his Lukey Luke program?!

Ant

YES! I do!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is slightly off topic, but since antmanb brought up Candeloro's Lucky Luke costume -- what was UP with Lambiel with the zebra and tiger prints to skate to "The Four Seasons"? Did he think this meant HUNTING SEASONS in Africa?? Or did he think that if Kulik could wear an animal print that had nothing to do with his music and it worked for Kulik, the same principle would work for Lambiel?

Jane2

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
This is slightly off topic, but since antmanb brought up Candeloro's Lucky Luke costume -- what was UP with Lambiel with the zebra and tiger prints to skate to "The Four Seasons"? Did he think this meant HUNTING SEASONS in Africa?? Or did he think that if Kulik could wear an animal print that had nothing to do with his music and it worked for Kulik, the same principle would work for Lambiel?

My vote is that it meant hunting seasons in Africa! LOL
That was GOOD!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Linny said:
Skaters wearing uniforms would be the death of the sport. Already, you can't tell one jump from another in the air. Only the take-off positions give them away. Imagine how the skaters would all blend into each other if they were all dressed the same.

'Course I say that from a position of being involved in a sport that many liken to watching grass grow - dressage. The riders wear uniforms, most of the horses are brown with just a few grays. Unless you are knowledgable about the movements, all the horses/riders look the same with the exception of Art Deco.

Linny

*rasies hand, whispers* I can usually tell what's going on. And I can always tell the horses apart! *shoves her old Wintec Isabel farther back in the basement* But yes, dressage, rather like ice dance, has the disadvantage that unless someone REALLY screws up, most people have no idea what's going on. In show jumping, if they knock a rail down, refuse, or go over time, it's obvious.

I like costumes. I just don't like absurd costumes. How I survive watching Latin ballroom without running mad I don't know.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
JonnyCoop said:

Why do you say that Ilia´s costume for "Rhapsody in Blue" had nothing to do with the music? What kind of costume would be expected to wear for that music, in your opinion? The title "Rhapsody in Blue" is not about the colour "blue", so one is free to select any kind of costume with that and use imagination. Tarasova´s imagination worked that way with Ilia´s costume.

I did not think that Ilia´s costume resembled animal print, it rather resembled the Nagano gold medal, in my opinion. Anyway, it was a lucky costume, I would say:

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/ando/ceremony_8.JPG

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mathman said:
So, his outstretched arm in that picture does not put you in mind of a giraffe's neck? A giraffe eating flowers? :)

http://www.hitroy.com/pictures/cincyzoo/giraffe.jpg

No, that costume actually never brought a giraffe into my mind, LOL. I took it just as a costume, and especially as a costume that pleased my eye more than that from the short programme. And after the medals had been given, I noticed that the freeskate costume had the same colours as the gold medal.

The only thought I had about the freeskate costume as I first saw it, was that I worried a bit that if may not breath and be good for Ilia´s skating. But that proved wrong.

Last edited: