Currently Reading | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Currently Reading

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
After a few seconds, I absolutely refused to watch the Garson/Olivier version. It was the acting I objected to probably as much as the wrong-period wardrobe.

I can understand how, if your favorite adaptation is a 6-hour experience of P&P, that the Joseph Wright, director/Knightley/Macfadyen version might seem abrupt. But it is my favorite. Analyzing my reaction, I think it's because the shots, the acting, the music and the transitions all pull me in emotionally in such a powerful way. Do try it sometime, from the beginning!

Since I'm such a huge fan of Spinning Silver, I tried Temeraire and also "Uprooted." Couldn't even get into the 1st, and only fast-forwarded through to the end of "Uprooted" because my husband and I were reading it together. It's strange!

here's a capsule review of Spinning Silver I like:

"This gorgeous, complex, and magical novel...rises well above a mere modern re-imagining of classic tales...Novik probes the edges between the everyday and the extraordinary, balancing moods of wonder and of inevitability. Her work inspires deep musings about love, wealth, and commitment, and embodies the best of the timeless fairy-tale aesthetic...This is the kind of book that one might wish to inhabit forever -- Publishers Weekly, Starred Review"

That last bit is exactly how I feel ... I just want to Be In That World. It's so magical, and such a staggeringly different voice and style.

Miryem is the initial heroine, and she's wonderful, as is Wanda, the third teen-age heroine -- but my favorite of the 3 is Irina, whose great-grandfather was a Staryk and therefore gave her a little Staryk (Ice Princess) blood.

If you read this book, I'd love to discuss it with you and @elbkup ... and anyone else who's intrigued! Could we schedule a month or two for in-depth discussion of it, after World Championships and before August? We could draw it out. There's so much I'd love to discuss. I led "live" book discussion groups, 3 in all, for a period of ten or more years, and I miss it now that I've moved to Winter Wonderland. ("The Snow Queen" was a fairy tale that scared me the most when I was a child!)

Any takers? I'd love to create a space where we could exchange ideas about such a complex book.

@elbkup:
"EDT: My nephew’s wife recommended “Spinning Silver” and others .. it is wonderful!"
BTW, I have all the PBS et al Versions of all JA Works. I agree with the G/O version. ref

I can understand how, if your favorite adaptation is a 6-hour experience of P&P, that the Joseph Wright, director/Knightley/Macfadyen version might seem abrupt. But it is my favorite. Analyzing my reaction, I think it's because the shots, the acting, the music and the transitions all pull me in emotionally in such a powerful way. Do try it sometime, from the beginning!

ITA.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am finishing up "Women (really people) Who Love too much" but the book that is really throwing me for a loop history wise is "Comfort Women" by Prof. Yoshimi Yoshiaki , professor of Japanese modern history at Chuo University in Tokyo, Japan. Its common knowledge that Japan tested then used bio/chemical-weapons on the Chinese in WWII (killing 200k 500k) but I had never heard that they tested Chemical weapons on the Aussies. The Japan Times, July 27th, 2004, "
"The Imperial Japanese Army tested cyanide gas on Australian and Dutch East Indies prisoners of war in 1944 in Indonesia's Kai Islands, according to a document recently uncovered by a Japanese researcher.
Yoshiaki Yoshimi, a professor at Chuo University and an expert on modern Japanese history, discovered the document in the Australian national archives in Canberra. He said it is the first piece of evidence to detail Japan's experiments on an Australian POW."

It is unknown if Truman's staff guessed at a bio attack on California (A 1945-planned kamikaze attack on San Diego with I-400-class submarine aircraft carriers that would deploy Aichi M6As floatplanes and drop fleas infected with bubonic plague was code-named Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night.[1) But he certainly knew about the existance of the weapons and the Submarine aircraft carriers as they had been used to bomb Oregon.

Prof. Yoshiaki's uncovering of detailed evidence in Korea and other places , coupled with known and obvious history issues between Japan and Korea, makes Ex PM Abe's hollow claims that Japan committed no war crimes (he actually had history books in Japan changed) explain for me the modern distrust of the "Korean on the street" for the Japanese Govt. Abe served for 9 years and left the govt in 2020. I guess I need to send a pm to Ichat and get another Opinion.

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
I'm reading an interesting book from a nobel awarded prize in economics sciences . Friedrich Hayek the book title is The Road to Serfdom , is very interesting and even comparing some situations what is happening on the world . really is like an X-ray from it . next book what will read is from Gracie Gold .