NL fitters & advice on first skates for adult? | Golden Skate

NL fitters & advice on first skates for adult?

aceonice

Spectator
Hi everyone!

I want to start figure skating and I'm looking for advice on which skates to get. I currently have Roces Paradise skates, but they're on the loose side and I probably won't be able to learn a lot on them. On other posts I saw a lot of people say to go to a fitter, but I have no clue if there are any where I live (The Netherlands), please let me know if you know any!

Some information on me and how much I'll use them:
> I'm 19 years, ~163 cm and 60 kg.
> My feet are on the thin side. I want good ankle/arch support, my arches are pretty weak and my current skates are kinda loose around my ankles and it makes them hurt
> I can do forward crossovers and I'm trying to learn how to skate backwards.
> I'll be skating anywhere between once a week to once a month.
> I want the boots to be black!! It'll probably limit my options but I really want black skates
> Budget isn't very big atm but I'm willing to save up if it means I get better fitting/longer lasting skates

Figure skating will (at least for now) be a bit of a side project as I'm very busy with uni, work and sport. I'm trying to teach myself the basic and hoping I'll be able to do lessons during christmas break. I am thinking about actually getting lessons but I don't see it happening soon, might do it once I teach myself the basics.
I don't need to become like really good but I would like to be able to do single, maybe double jumps at least.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I want to start figure skating and I'm looking for advice on which skates to get. I currently have Roces Paradise skates, but they're on the loose side and I probably won't be able to learn a lot on them. On other posts I saw a lot of people say to go to a fitter, but I have no clue if there are any where I live (The Netherlands), please let me know if you know any!

Some information on me and how much I'll use them:
> I'm 19 years, ~163 cm and 60 kg.
> My feet are on the thin side. I want good ankle/arch support, my arches are pretty weak and my current skates are kinda loose around my ankles and it makes them hurt
> I want the boots to be black!! It'll probably limit my options but I really want black skates
> Budget isn't very big atm but I'm willing to save up if it means I get better fitting/longer lasting skates

Figure skating will (at least for now) be a bit of a side project as I'm very busy with uni, work and sport. I'm trying to teach myself the basic and hoping I'll be able to do lessons during christmas break. I am thinking about actually getting lessons but I don't see it happening soon, might do it once I teach myself the basics.
I don't need to become like really good but I would like to be able to do single, maybe double jumps at least.
hello and welcome!

With the information you were able to give, I would suggest Jackson Debut (They come in black) are are stiff enough for your height/weight and needs, be aware they are boot only and you would need an intermediate blade (either MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace to go with it). You may be able to get away with a Risport Electra which also come in black. The only other brand I would suggest that you would be able to get in Europe is Graf Prestige (black). The Risport and Graf boots come with blades already attached (they aren't the greatest quality blades but for what you are doing at this point, they should be fine). I will not recommend Edea brand skates for you b/c they will not offer the ankle support that you require. The brands that I did suggest will.

It looks like there are a few places in NL that can help you with boots/blades
AZZURI SCHAATSSPORT
TERHEIJDENSEWEG 506
BREDA, 4826 AB, Netherlands

Welcome to RONO Sport

Strijpsestraat 92 - 5616 GS Eindhoven

31 (40) 252 32 32 - [email protected]

I will let you know that they must be able to fit you properly for figure skates, and not with a CCM brand or other hockey fitting system. That will not work.

Also, I will suggest that you start taking lessons sooner than later. Teaching yourself is not a good idea and you will more than likely have to relearn your basic skills and also risk injuring yourself.

Good luck! :)

aceonice

Spectator
hello and welcome!

With the information you were able to give, I would suggest Jackson Debut (They come in black) are are stiff enough for your height/weight and needs, be aware they are boot only and you would need an intermediate blade (either MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace to go with it). You may be able to get away with a Risport Electra which also come in black. The only other brand I would suggest that you would be able to get in Europe is Graf Prestige (black). The Risport and Graf boots come with blades already attached (they aren't the greatest quality blades but for what you are doing at this point, they should be fine). I will not recommend Edea brand skates for you b/c they will not offer the ankle support that you require. The brands that I did suggest will.

It looks like there are a few places in NL that can help you with boots/blades
AZZURI SCHAATSSPORT
TERHEIJDENSEWEG 506
BREDA, 4826 AB, Netherlands

Welcome to RONO Sport

Strijpsestraat 92 - 5616 GS Eindhoven

31 (40) 252 32 32 - [email protected]

I will let you know that they must be able to fit you properly for figure skates, and not with a CCM brand or other hockey fitting system. That will not work.

Also, I will suggest that you start taking lessons sooner than later. Teaching yourself is not a good idea and you will more than likely have to relearn your basic skills and also risk injuring yourself.

Good luck! :)
Thank you for all the advice!

When looking by myself I also found Oomssport in Den Haag and Karin's Schaatssport in Dordrecht, do you happen to know anything about them?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for all the advice!

When looking by myself I also found Oomssport in Den Haag and Karin's Schaatssport in Dordrecht, do you happen to know anything about them?
Yes Oomssport in Den Haag, I almost forgot them and would suggest going there over the other two. They actually carry the Jackson Debut, as well as some Risport and they carry the blades I suggested.

aceonice

Spectator
Yes Oomssport in Den Haag, I almost forgot them and would suggest going there over the other two. They actually carry the Jackson Debut, as well as some Risport and they carry the blades I suggested.
Okay!
I need to save up money and figure out how to fit lessons into my schedule, but when I have that sorted out I'll definitely go to Oomssport then.
Thanks for the help!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Not sure how it is in the NL, but in Germany, a lot of clubs have skating group lessons. The US did too when I lived there. They’re going to be a lot more affordable. Good luck!

aceonice

Spectator
Not sure how it is in the NL, but in Germany, a lot of clubs have skating group lessons. The US did too when I lived there. They’re going to be a lot more affordable. Good luck!
That's what I was talking about yeah! I did find our the club near me has punch cards for 10 lessons so I'll probably do one of those! That's with my schedule a lot more doable than having to go each week

SK4T3

Rinkside
Looks like we Skate @ the same Rink(s). #WeAreLocals

Based on you information; do you mean "slim" instead of "thin"?

As mentioned before in another Topic:

Here (In Europe); EDEA Overture(s) attached with Rotation blades are sold as a pré-mounted kit. For an Extremely Reasonable price (in my opinion) USD235~255 you get an enormous quality boot with a no nonsense blade.

In Euro's that's ~€239

WHICH SIZES AND WIDTHS ARE AVAILABLE?​

In Ivory size 205-290 widths B, C and D, 235-290 width E.
In Black size 205-295 B width, 205-310 C and D widths, 235-305 E width.

The sizes (for Example) 295 is in mm
B, C, D, E the width (C = "normal") in your case I think it's B; but always consult a figureskate fitter.

Please tell me more about your feetsize so I can help you out! I have some 290-295 Blacks and 270-275 Whites to Fit if you like. These all are in C width.

-Ooms
-Karin
-Thillart
-Rono

Are the Places to be!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

In Euro's that's ~€239

B, C, D, E the width (C = "normal") in your case I think it's B; but always consult a figureskate fitter.

Please tell me more about your feetsize so I can help you out! I have some 290-295 Blacks and 270-275 Whites to Fit if you like. These all are in C width.

-Ooms
-Karin
-Thillart
-Rono

Are the Places to be!
The boots you listed are NOT going to give this poster what they need. They need a brand that is not considered recreational.

SK4T3

Rinkside
EDEA is definitely NOT a recreational brand.

Based on the experience of the poster:

an EDEA Overture is well fitted.

Roces Paradise used at the moment are Recreational.

aceonice

Spectator

In Euro's that's ~€239

-Ooms
-Karin
-Thillart
-Rono

Are the Places to be!
It'd be a fun coincidence if we skate at the same rink(s)!

I did mean slim feet yeah. My size is 245, so I won't be able to fit yours haha.

I'll either go to Ooms or Thillart because I have to go with public transport. Will look which one has the most skates in stock

The boots you listed are NOT going to give this poster what they need. They need a brand that is not considered recreational.
From what I saw Edea Overture isn't considered recreational though? What makes you say they won't give me what they need?

Question to the both of you: would I be okay doing a trial lesson on my current skates or would that be unwise?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It'd be a fun coincidence if we skate at the same rink(s)!

I did mean slim feet yeah. My size is 245, so I won't be able to fit yours haha.

I'll either go to Ooms or Thillart because I have to go with public transport. Will look which one has the most skates in stock

From what I saw Edea Overture isn't considered recreational though? What makes you say they won't give me what they need?

Question to the both of you: would I be okay doing a trial lesson on my current skates or would that be unwise?
I wasn't talking about edea. I was talking about the list of rec skates they listed that weren't edea.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
EDEA is definitely NOT a recreational brand.

Based on the experience of the poster:

an EDEA Overture is well fitted.

Roces Paradise used at the moment are Recreational.
I never said Edea was a rec brand. I said all the other brands you listed were mostly rec. Look under my name on here. I know what I'm talking about. I even suggested the proper Edea boot to the OP.

Reputable brands for figure skating:
Edea
Risport
Jackson
Riedell
SP Teri
Harlick
Graf
Aura
Gam
Golden Horse

That's about it.

Last edited:

aceonice

Spectator
I wasn't talking about edea. I was talking about the list of rec skates they listed that weren't edea.
Ooh! I think you misunderstood them then :) The four they listed are skate shops, not skate brands. All is clear now to me though!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ooh! I think you misunderstood them then :) The four they listed are skate shops, not skate brands. All is clear now to me though!
Sorry I don't speak dutch and i also cross confused your post with one in another thread LOL!

We are ok though. Have a good day.