Does a piece of music 'belong' to a favourite skater? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Does a piece of music 'belong' to a favourite skater?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think the soundtracks from Sherlock, Star Wars, Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings actually scream figure skating music. To be fair others that get picked more often don't either to me, but in a way I can understand these are not such popular choices. Gladiator or Zorro offer themselves much more I think.

Bearing in mind, though, that some of these scores are massive. LOTR has 9+ hours of music not counting the extended editions (yes I have them why do you ask?) and GOT had 8 seasons and umpteen character and other themes (I have a fanvid that was done before the 2018 Olympics for the men, based on at least two of the GOT themes and called - of course - Game of Quads. Great fun.)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But this one was wonderful for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze. :love: :

Oh, yes I completely agree!

But that was 20 years and ten thousand Chaplins ago. And not a single one since has matched this, so there's really no point in continuing that musical experiment.

Magill

Record Breaker
Bearing in mind, though, that some of these scores are massive. LOTR has 9+ hours of music not counting the extended editions (yes I have them why do you ask?) and GOT had 8 seasons and umpteen character and other themes (I have a fanvid that was done before the 2018 Olympics for the men, based on at least of the GOT themes and called - of course - Game of Quads. Great fun.)
And speaking of GOT, have you seen this?
Jenny of Oldstones by Satoko Miyahara, I find it particularly moving...

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
This is NOT a nice deed, this is NOT OK.

Yet I think usually a person does both bad and good deeds, and if I know about bad deeds (or features), it doesn’t absolutely cross off good features, it doesn’t cross off the person forever (I mean not his or her skating, but his or her personality). I think there were cases when in a discussion I was saying something bad about a person, but it seems I can say that there is no skater whom I condemn every time when he or she is mentioned. I think I should remember about my own bad deeds (that I’d better judge not: “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged”).
I was saying from the beginning that I didn’t mean to say that Yagudin was perfect (innocent).
I don’t want to offend somebody with these words, but as far as I could see Denis Ten really liked Yagudin (I mean posts by Denis). And it doesn’t mean that Denis knew nothing bad about him. This is one more reason why I don’t cross off Yagudin forever.

As for “Winter”, I can try to show what I meant. It is not about his skating skills or quads.
Usually skaters just move their arms this way or that way, but as for “Winter”, in the middle of the program Yagudin literally rules the energy of all the audience by the movements of his arms (when he does his step sequence, at the same time he raises the energy up with his arms, and it is not the only moment when he raises the energy up) And the name of this energy is love. Does he become an arrogant owner of all this love? I’d say, he doesn’t. He shows with his arms that he lets this collected energy go up (back to the audience). He does it easily. I think not every person can give love back so easily, so open handedly.
Of course, this is just the choreography of this program. Yet I think not every skater could do the same.
I think people wouldn’t have a feeling that this program is something “out of this world”, if they didn’t see how easily he rules this ocean of love and how easily he gives this energy back to people. I think I speak not about Yagudin’s skating now, but about his personality.
(I think it is more visible in the Olympic video)

I think my view is clear now, I think views of those who disagree are clear too.
Thats what I loved about that era of skating, footwork sections were always built up and you sat up and watched, so entertaining. And I am with you, I don't think Yagudin is an awful person either, people are made up of shades of gray and are rarely really good or really bad.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I am with you

Thank you :)

In recent years I posted almost nothing in Yagudin’s fan fest. This had been lasting for about three years. I think I also rarely posted anything in other skating threads recently.
Now I think I’m strong enough to have my own opinion about a person.
I don’t want to weary other people with chatter about him, but I’m a bit tired too of seeing that it seems every person who mentions Yagudin thinks he (or she) is obliged to condemn him.
I don’t deny that Yagudin was wrong, but I do think I know enough good things about him.

Sorry for this off topic :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Thats what I loved about that era of skating, footwork sections were always built up and you sat up and watched, so entertaining.
Well, then as now, some skaters used the step sequences as an opportunity to be entertaining. And some just stuck in a sequence of easy steps because it was expected (20th century free skates) or required (short programs, and early 21st century free skates) but didn't bother doing much with them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, then as now, some skaters used the step sequences as an opportunity to be entertaining. And some just stuck in a sequence of easy steps because it was expected (20th century free skates) or required (short programs, and early 21st century free skates) but didn't bother doing much with them.
We don't see enough truly entertaining footwork sequences under IJS.... I'm not talking about intricate and difficult or beautiful or worthy of a Level 4 with tons of GOE... I mean just flat out entertaining.

Jason Brown did it with Riverdance, and Sasha Cohen did it with Malaguena, but I can't recall off the top of my head others that really got the crowd going. But I can count on others chiming in to remind me of some.

gkelly

Record Breaker
We don't see enough truly entertaining footwork sequences under IJS.... I'm not talking about intricate and difficult or beautiful or worthy of a Level 4 with tons of GOE... I mean just flat out entertaining.

Jason Brown did it with Riverdance, and Sasha Cohen did it with Malaguena, but I can't recall off the top of my head others that really got the crowd going. But I can count on others chiming in to remind me of some.
I'll make a thread for it.

Of course, entertaining is in the eye of the beholder...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Jimmy Ma always has a great SS.

campbellka

Rinkside
Although Virtue/Moir skated a flamenco piece, it will always be associated with Gordeeva & Grinkov for me. That program was perfection. Same with “Moonlight Sonata.” Likely there have been others who’ve skated to that, but when I hear that, too, I think of them. They left an indeliable impression in my mind.