Music you want to hear more of | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music you want to hear more of

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ummm, let's also address the elephant in the corner of the ice rink here? There's been lots of lovely (to us) music suggested on here but if the skater doesn't like/go for it, there's no point. They have to listen to the cut over and over and over and over and over, every week (or day for the elite skaters) after all. In the end, warhorses are like cliches, commercials and (as I said) comfort food, and they become that way because - surprise - ordinary folk like them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ummm, let's also address the elephant in the corner of the ice rink here? There's been lots of lovely (to us) music suggested on here but if the skater doesn't like/go for it, there's no point. They have to listen to the cut over and over and over and over and over, every week (or day for the elite skaters) after all. In the end, warhorses are like cliches, commercials and (as I said) comfort food, and they become that way because - surprise - ordinary folk like them.
I see two elephants : one is money. If skaters really wanted to have unique programs, they could hire music consultants. The repertoire is infinite. I, for instance, wouldn't be able to advise anyone on pop, hip hop, latine, country music etc... I feel very good this year because I actually do know music from the 80s and some of my suggestions were also picked by skaters :) But yeah, with everything that skaters have to pay for, I don't see many of them hiring a music consultant... they give the job to choreographers and music editors...These folks know a lot and I have the utmost respect for their work (well depends on the music cuts :) ) but it is impossible for them to know what a career musician would know in terms of repertoire, their expertise lies elsewhere and that's all good.

The other elephant is simply that skaters don't put music at the top of their priority. They have other elephants to fry. Music is an accessory that allows them to compete and bring together their packaging... but it says it all... PACKAGING... it's not that important, which is ironic considering that every other thread opened lately in this forum is about music :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I see two elephants : one is money. If skaters really wanted to have unique programs, they could hire music consultants. The repertoire is infinite. I, for instance, wouldn't be able to advise anyone on pop, hip hop, latine, country music etc... I feel very good this year because I actually do know music from the 80s and some of my suggestions were also picked by skaters :) But yeah, with everything that skaters have to pay for, I don't see many of them hiring a music consultant... they give the job to choreographers and music editors...These folks know a lot and I have the utmost respect for their work (well depends on the music cuts :) ) but it is impossible for them to know what a career musician would know in terms of repertoire,

The other elephant is simply that skaters don't put music at the top of their priority. They have other elephants to fry. Music is an accessory that allows them to compete and bring together their packaging... but it says it all... PACKAGING... it's not that important, which is ironic considering that every other thread opened lately in this forum is about music :)

All true, but again, it is a matter of the skater having to like it... and a lot of people either don't like, or think they don't like, a lot of classical music. Yes, they could learn to, but they don't have to when yet another Swan Lake or Carmen will get them there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
All true, but again, it is a matter of the skater having to like it... and a lot of people either don't like, or think they don't like, a lot of classical music.
These guys don't need to skate to classical music if they don't appreciate it. My post is specifically about replacing warhorses of classical music but lesser known classical music. :)

You are correct about "think" they don't like classical music.. people just don't know it. It is like children who have never wanted to eat Brussels sprouts. Add bacon to them and suddenly, they are willing to eat them. And then, surprise, they end up liking them, even without bacon :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am forever grateful to Satoko Miahara for skating to the overture of "The Magic Flute" as a short program. I got to thank her for that @ this season's SOI Meet & Greet!

Dan Hollander skated to a lovely (& serious) program with music from "Legends of the Fall" in the mid 1990's.

Has anyone ever skated to Smetana's "Moldau?"

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I will say something shocking but I do like some of the classical music warhorses :) they are used and abused because they work well for skating... However, without getting rid of them, I feel that choreographers. music editors and coaches could reach out and use similar pieces that are a bit less-known to the skating world.

Here are a few examples on how to replace a warhorse with something just as nice but rarely done.

Waltz alternative :

To me, although I can hear the waltz beat at times, it's not consistent enough to sound waltzable. I think it could work for a singles skater who is musically sensitive enough pick up subtleties of classical music at points throughout the program. I don't think it would be a good choice for an ice dance team needing to perform a waltz, or as for a young singles skater to learn to recognize and express an obvious dance rhythm. There are stronger pieces designed for the ballroom (or stage/screen depictions of ballrooms) that would better serve those purposes.

Aranjuez could be replaced by Rodrigo's (same composer) Fantasia para un gentilhombre
Personally (since I did so myself for one program), I would recommend using the first movement of Aranjuez rather than the overused second movement. Not the same rhythm/style at all, so it wouldn't sound overused despite being part of the same larger work. I think I have heard someone skating a longer program that used both, but perhaps not at an elite level.

I could go on and on.. the point is that there is SO much music but very little is used.. and of course, some people may think, well this is hard to skate to... Well not always and some of the pieces chosen by skaters also have awkward parts to skate to... but those parts are simply cut LOL.. So do not imagine that all 30 minutes of Rachmaninoff concerto number 2 are perfect for skating... Most people skate to the same 10-20% of its content.
That is true.

Some pieces might have dynamic sections that could work well for step sequences or choreo sequences but not have strong sections that support jump setups very well . . . or vice versa. In which case it might be wise to piece together favorite sections from different pieces. These days we'd expect more of a unifying theme in the selections than when patchwork freeskates were more common in the 1970s-80s.

Has anyone ever skated to Smetana's "Mouldau?"
Ryan Jahnke used it for his short program in 1997-98 (his first senior season), but I don't know that it was ever televised. I can't think of any other elite examples.

I remember shortly before that, in a similar discussion to this one on the SkateFans mailing list(?), at a time when The Blue Danube was often heard thanks to Kristi Yamaguchi and Meno & Sand, one poster suggested "If you must imitate a central European river, why not choose The Moldau by Smetana instead?"

icewhite

Record Breaker
I love the Vltava... but I imagine it's quite difficult to skate to.

I have been wondering about the Chihiro/ Spirited Away theme... Has any high profile skater done it in competition?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
To me, although I can hear the waltz beat at times, it's not consistent enough to sound waltzable. I think it could work for a singles skater who is musically sensitive enough pick up subtleties of classical music at points throughout the program. I don't think it would be a good choice for an ice dance team needing to perform a waltz, or as for a young singles skater to learn to recognize and express an obvious dance rhythm. There are stronger pieces designed for the ballroom (or stage/screen depictions of ballrooms) that would better serve those purposes.

Cut the parts that are not steady enough and add drum beats :) Ice dance teams do it already. When I picked this though, I wasn't thinking ice dance... I was thinking about all the single skaters abusing that very annoying (to me) Masquerade waltz....
Personally (since I did so myself for one program), I would recommend using the first movement of Aranjuez rather than the overused second movement. Not the same rhythm/style at all, so it wouldn't sound overused despite being part of the same larger work. I think I have heard someone skating a longer program that used both, but perhaps not at an elite level.

That's correct, most of the time, only the slow movement has been used and the other movements are great too. Of course, what makes this slow movement so popular with skaters is that it contains this super melody but also more active passage. Patrick's program to it is so well constructed...
That is true.

Some pieces might have dynamic sections that could work well for step sequences or choreo sequences but not have strong sections that support jump setups very well . . . or vice versa. In which case it might be wise to piece together favorite sections from different pieces. These days we'd expect more of a unifying theme in the selections than when patchwork freeskates were more common in the 1970s-80s.
This is where a music consultant could do wonders. For instance, being able to find exactly the kind of repertoire that would still make sense musically and would allow a skater to do all they have to do.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

I have been wondering about the Chihiro/ Spirited Away theme... Has any high profile skater done it in competition?
Thank you for listing its original name.

The closest I recall is Keiji Tanaka's Spirited Away gala (2016-18), but IDK if anyone has done it in competition. Isn't Hisaishi the guy who forbade Kevin Reynolds to skate to his music in competition, and Yuzuru only got a special exception to use his music in Hope and Legacy? I may misremember, but if true, I guess that explains why skaters would avoid Hisaishi music.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In general, music with a full orchestration (or full rock band, etc., ;)) will sound better in an ice rink than a solo instrument.

Music with a strong rhythm and/or melody that can carry the skater (and the audience and judges) along is generally a good choice.

Subtle, contemplative pieces, including solo instruments or a capella voice, can be used effectively (assuming the sound system can handle it) by skaters who are able to match the subtleties with their movements and to stay connected to the music throughout the performance, not dropping out to focus on elements. For most skaters, I wouldn't recommend it.

Speaking of waltzes and Joe Hisaishi, how about this one:

Not exactly unknown in skating, but not quite overused either.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In general, music with a full orchestration (or full rock band, etc., ;)) will sound better in an ice rink than a solo instrument.
Yes.. and that's why they pick masquerade waltz :) I agree that solo piano is not always easy. At the same time, it depends on the rink... the acoustics at Pierrefonds where ACI will be held are NOT good...everything sounds awful in there .. and I bet it's not the only place like that.

Music with a strong rhythm and/or melody that can carry the skater (and the audience and judges) along is generally a good choice.

Subtle, contemplative pieces, including solo instruments or a capella voice, can be used effectively (assuming the sound system can handle it) by skaters who are able to match the subtleties with their movements and to stay connected to the music throughout the performance, not dropping out to focus on elements. For most skaters, I wouldn't recommend it.

Speaking of waltzes and Joe Hisaishi, how about this one:

Not exactly unknown in skating, but not quite overused either.

Or...

Or Brahms (in their orchestral versions, the waltzes opus 15 work very nicely).. there are tons... It never ends ;)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

The closest I recall is Keiji Tanaka's Spirited Away gala (2016-18), but IDK if anyone has done it in competition. Isn't Hisaishi the guy who forbade Kevin Reynolds to skate to his music in competition, and Yuzuru only got a special exception to use his music in Hope and Legacy? I may misremember, but if true, I guess that explains why skaters would avoid Hisaishi music.
Guess this explains why I have never heard of music from Princess Mononoke Hime used in skating (sob)

Or

Grave of the Fireflies

Last edited:

If the sound system can handle it, I wish skaters would do more to explore the concerto form. The best of both worlds. The orchestra introduces the soloist with a big TA-DA -- AND HERE SHE IS!!! Then the virtuoso proceeds to dazzle the audience with her astonishing brilliance and command of her "instrument" -- a pair of ice skates in this instance.

Has any skater ever considered muisic by Haydn or for that matter, by the now almost forgotten Hummel? Either the Haydn or the Hummel trumpet concertos would be awesome, and the Hummel piano concertos, I would think, provide lots of material to choose from.

(After that era the period of classical music was pretty much over, IMHO, as composers went on to more newfangled ideas. :biggrin: )

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If the sound system can handle it, I wish skaters would do more to explore the concerto form. The best of bpoth worlds. The orchestra introduces the soloist with a big TA-DA -- AND HERE SHE IS!!! The the virtuoso proceeds to dazzle the audience with her astonishing brilliance and command of her "instrument" -- a pair of ice skates in this instance.

Has any skater ever considered muisic by Haydn or for that matter, by the now almost forgotten Hummel? Either the Haydn or the Hummel trumpet concerto would be awesome, and the Hummel piano concertos, I would think, provide lots of material to choose from.

(After that era the period of classical music was pretty much over, IMHO. :biggrin:.
If people find classical music boring, i don't know why they would pick hummel honestly. There is a reason why he is "almost forgotten" it's a very much acquired taste... which i haven't acquired personally ;)

Haydn is great. but yeah... maybe some of his symphonic work or string quartets.

The concerto genre is already used TONS in skating... different ones could work but we do not need more skaters doing Rach 2. Also, not all concerti start with bang from the orchestra and then soloists comes in... it varies a lot... :)

icewhite

Record Breaker
Guess this explains why I have never heard of music from Princess Mononoke Home used in skating (sob)

Or

Grave of the Fireflies

There have been programs to Mononoke! Still, that's a good explanation, maybe there are really problems with the copyrights.

yesterday

Record Breaker
These guys don't need to skate to classical music if they don't appreciate it. My post is specifically about replacing warhorses of classical music but lesser known classical music. :)

You are correct about "think" they don't like classical music.. people just don't know it. It is like children who have never wanted to eat Brussels sprouts. Add bacon to them and suddenly, they are willing to eat them. And then, surprise, they end up liking them, even without bacon :)
So, the bacon in figure skating is a hip-hop StSq in the middle of a classical piece? :biggrin:

If people find classical music boring, i don't know why they would pick hummel honestly.

To me, Hummel is easy listening music. The auditor doesn't have to work too hard to enjoy it.

As for liking or not liking classical music at all, I have met many people who had no interest in classical music as youngsters, but later found that "it grew on me." But I have never met anyone who was all into classical music as a child but then in the ripeness of years switched over to rock and roll.

One thing I always liked about figure skating is that it provided people, especially children, with an exposure to classical tunes in palatable doses. Sort of like the old Warner Brothers cartoons that featured Buggs Bunny (the bacon in the broccoli?) directing a comic orchestra with funny animals sawing away on fiddles and tooting on horns -- all to an actual sound track of some super-classical war horse.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Hisaishi doesn't seem to be against the use of his music per se but against the cutting of it - I believe Yuzuru needed to carefully cut and recut the pieces before permission was granted. So maybe those who have used his music (I know there's been Mononoke as someone said, and Yuzuru now has One Summer's Day in his repertoire) have had to run the actual cut and program music past him before he would okay it. And if they didn't, or he didn't like it... that was that.

Poor Kevin. though.

Magill

Record Breaker

Have you seen Yuzuru's One Summer's Day? It is from Spirited Away although it is focused on Haku and not Chihiro. Is it maybe anything close?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Luckily lower-level/adult skaters slip below Hisaishi's radar... Funnily enough, one year I picked Departures/Okuribito to skate to, feeling that I'd scored a great obscure find. Lo and behold, a lady in the other warmup group at adult nationals, hailing from the other end of the country, had apparently also hit on the same idea (though luckily not the same track). Who'd have thought a then-10-year-old movie about a cellist-turned-undertaker would be so popular :oops: