Does Irina have a realistic chance of winning W05? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does Irina have a realistic chance of winning W05?

Vash01

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO, Irina is a longshot to even medal at 2005 Worlds, much less win the championship. She has to be in top physical shape and stamina, and that is doubtful, at this point. Sure, there is a home court advantage, but that can only take you so far. You have to deliver the technical and artistic elements.

The judges would leave themselves open to an unbelievable amount of criticism if they "gave" the gold medal to Irina and she was clearly outskated by Kwan, Cohen, Arakawa, Onda, and others. Give us a break! :sheesh:

Why are your assuming that everyone will outskate Irina and the judge would still give her the gold medal?

Her health is certainly a concern but you sound doubtful that she is in top physical shape. Have you discussed this with her doctors?

Finally, you sound so sure that she cannot deliver technically and artistically. Any reason for this? So far this season she has been rock solid.

Either you are overly worried about her, or you plain dislike her.

Vash

I basically agree with you Vash. Irina, to me represents a first rate competitor, and she will skate her heart out in Moscow, and go on to be a top contender in Torino.

However, I would not give SkateFan a choice of two reasons for her prediction of Irina. The poster (any poster) has a right to their rationale however unrealistic it seems to others. It seemed to me that SkateFan does have concern over Irina's health but there may be much more to that. Personally, I don't see a problem with Irina's health. If there were then she would postpone skating, as I thing she is a very intelligent woman on skating matters.

Joe

SkateFan, I don't believe the judges will give anyone a title that they don't deserve. But, like I said, I do think that they are glad when the home-crowd favorite skates well.

For instance, I think everyone involved was tickled to death that Lindemann skated so well in Dortmund last year. Lambiel also gave a fine performance, but Lindemann was strong enough to carry off the bronze. I think this happens a lot, for instance in almost every Grand Prix event this year.

Mathman:)

euterpe

Medalist
It can't be denied, though, that Winkler/Lohse would never have won a World medal in 2004 if the event had been held anywhere else but Germany.

Winkler/Lohse were never medal contenders in the years before 2004, and their performances in last year's Grand Prix were good but not exceptional. They did not even make the GPF, and did not compete at 2004 Europeans due to injury.

It's my feeling that if Irina is healthy enough to deliver solid, clean programs in Moscow, she will win gold regardless of how other skaters perform.

Fossi

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO
The judges would leave themselves open to an unbelievable amount of criticism if they "gave" the gold medal to Irina and she was clearly outskated by Kwan, Cohen, Arakawa, Onda, and others. Give us a break! :sheesh:

I disagree. Irina was OUTSKATED by Hughes and Kwan at GPF in '02, and she won. Bold faced cheating for Slutskaya took place at that event.

Crizzy

Rinkside
Thanks for the info, but will doing 3/3/3 garner Irina more points? Or is she better off doing 7 jumping pass and a 3/3 combo?

If she does 3/3/3 she's only allowed four more individual triples, right?

Now if it's 3/3 combo she's allowed 6 more triples, right?

Damn you CoP, my brain is getting fried from analyzing and Math is not my forte. :banging:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Based on how she has been skating so far, I think Irina is a serious contender for gold in Moscow. IIRC, one of the fluff pieces on her illness mentioned the stress of the SLC Oly year as a contributing factor to her illness (along with her mother's condition, etc.), so I can't help thinking that she might not try for Torino.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that with her condition, the Russian Federation is working to keep the stress and expectations off of Irina (I read this in an FSU interview with Piseev). She probably will try for Torino, but I don't think she's thinking of winning any medal. I notice that her skating feels lighter and more joyous this year than any other year. She's just grateful to be alive and it shows in her skating. It's ironic that since she's gotten rid of that expectation, she's skating better than she ever has.

attyfan said:
Based on how she has been skating so far, I think Irina is a serious contender for gold in Moscow. IIRC, one of the fluff pieces on her illness mentioned the stress of the SLC Oly year as a contributing factor to her illness (along with her mother's condition, etc.), so I can't help thinking that she might not try for Torino.

I think Irina's expectation of winning the 02 Olys was justified. She was the favorite going in with her triple action combos.. Like Kwan in 98, she didn't give her all, and suffered the consequenses.

I think this Olys will be less of a nervous affair for Irina. She may go in as the favorite, but that will not keep her from concentrating on what great competitive skating she is capable of as did 02.

I think she is a good bet to win 06.

Joe.