Does the USFSA too heavily favor "artistic" skaters? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does the USFSA too heavily favor "artistic" skaters?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd really like to see what she would do with something that's a haunting type of serious music where she can't rely on her natural personality (based on what we've seen) of being bubbly and smiling.
We saw that last year when she skated to 'Hallelujah' - there was a significant mismatch between the music and the performance that undermined its impact for many viewers.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I'd really like to see what she would do with something that's a haunting type of serious music where she can't rely on her natural personality (based on what we've seen) of being bubbly and smiling.
Doesn't that describe her Einaudi FS from 2018-19 which I actually preferred?

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I thought Mariah's SP was simply outstanding and the best ladies SP i've seen an American woman do in a long time. It was everything, Technical, charismatic, you felt her pour her heart out of the arena to the tv.. to with cardboard cut outs mind you watching. the FS she was 4th in but had the lead after the SP. Bradie also made mistakes aswell in the FS but still won the FS. I can't complain about the judging or standings, I thought it was very fair. I will knock Mariah for the FS though.. That music does nothing for her, I think if she wants to have a great chance at nationals and put her best foot forward, she deter from that ABBA medley. Its cut just awful.. its all over the place. Mariah is good at telling a story and emitting emotion.. its too hard to do it with the ABBA music . To me its more of an exhibition skate than a competition skate.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I dunno, if this is about Mariah, to me she is the only American skater that skates with visible speed. So, I don’t think it’s so much artistry, it’s her skating skills that match the rest of the field better. They also tend to fixate on some skater’s past achievements and ignore everything else. The prime example is Gracie Gold that is still in competitive stream when she should have been transitioned out. Ditto, until Brown can still jump triples, he will also remain on the American roster.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting: Mariah is just as apt to be marked down internationally for URs and edge calls as Bradie is, but at SA, Mariah received none and Bradie got hit left and right.

As Juniors and Novices, both Mariah and Bradie were egregious underrotaters. I know, because I saw both live at Nationals when they were coming up, and saw their protocols. It's a tough habit to completely overcome.

readernick

Medalist
Ditto, until Brown can still jump triples, he will also remain on the American roster.
Seeing that his international scores are far higher than the other American men (Nathan.excepted), it is possibly wise to leave him on the roster, don't you think? If other American skaters (or even international skaters) start beating him on a regular basis then I'm pretty sure he would be dropped. USF cares about results.

readernick

Medalist
Interesting: Mariah is just as apt to be marked down internationally for URs and edge calls as Bradie is, but at SA, Mariah received none and Bradie got hit left and right.

As Juniors and Novices, both Mariah and Bradie were egregious underrotaters. I know, because I saw both live at Nationals when they were coming up, and saw their protocols. It's a tough habit to completely overcome.
I actually think both of them have made excellent progess in this regard. However, the quaratine really had an effect, and Bradie is injured. Perhaps it will get better later this season...

Last edited:

Brianne627

Rinkside
Comparing Mariah’s program last year to this year - this isn’t it. The music cuts are jarring and it seems like she can’t get into it. Maybe cut it to 2 songs and rework the choreo a bit. Her short program is very good, however.