Dull blades or bad sharpening? | Golden Skate

Dull blades or bad sharpening?

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Sorry if this is a silly question but what are these white marks on my blades? I can’t remember if it was like this after I got them sharpened. These have been skated on for 25hrs. I plan on getting them sharpening this week because my right blade either feels out of alignment or there is no edge. I remember being able to do one foot glides perfectly fine but the last couple of sessions they have been kinda wonky.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello! Not a silly question at all, I might be able to help. After 25 hours of skating it may simply be time to get your skates sharpened. I don't know exactly what the white lines are but my educated guess is that the white lines are where the skates continue to get "polished" when skating and the hollow itself darkens with oxidation. It's the same process that causes metal to rust, only instead of developing rust the metal simply darkens. It happens often with any carbon steel blade, totally normal and I do see this light and dark pattern quite a lot with carbon steel blades after some time of skating. This layer of oxidation actually can help prevent rust on a very minimal level as well :) Another possibility is that one edge could be higher than the other. This causes the "lower" edge to have a more shallow bite angle, meaning that it won't bite into the ice quite as acutely as the "higher" edge which is sharper and will bite into the ice more. Looking at where the hollow begins just behind your toe, IF the edge is slightly uneven I would guess at it being the inside edge that feels as if it "slips" more? Over all it looks as though you have been taking very good care of your blades!
But more likely I would put my money on the edges simply being dull and would recommend a sharpening ;)
Hope this information helps!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just seeing this, and I agree with @High Carbon. My initial reaction was that they need sharpened and that rust might be trying to settle in where it's turning white, but hasn't gotten completely there yet.

Good luck! :)

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Thank you all for your help. I’m going to get my blades sharpened on Saturday and hopefully this resolves some of my slipping edges. I skated today and it wasn’t that bad but definitely some slipping. I practice a lot of spins and jumps so after 25hrs it’s time!