Entries | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Entries

But in japanese Kawaguchi is pronounced as Kawaguti, so I think it was Yuko's wish to translit her name to cyrillic as Кавагути (т = t).

Are you saying that Americans who don't know Japanese have been mispronouncing Kristi Yamaguchi's name all these years? :eek:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Maybe the change is to make it easier to write/pronounce in cyrillic script?
Yuko addressed the dilemma in a recent interview. I believe she said the "chi"-part of her name was in fact a mixture of "ti" and "chi", in Japanese. There's a complex set of transcription rules reg names derived from different languages. According to those rules, (Kristi) Yamaguchi is an American name, and is transcribed as such, while Kawaguti is a Japanese name and is treated differently, linguistically speaking.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's now official: Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN) is out. Her achilles tendon injury hasn't healed, and she won't be at Worlds.

Sarah MEIER (SUI) has announced that she will compete at 2009 Worlds.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It's now official: Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN) is out. Her achilles tendon injury hasn't healed, and she won't be at Worlds.

Sarah MEIER (SUI) has announced that she will compete at 2009 Worlds.
Julia - what a shame. Is she still planning to compete next season?

Sarah - that's excellent! I hope she'll do well.

Eurofan

On the Ice

Sorry to hear about that. And very bad news for Hungary - I doubt that Bianka Padar will make it to the free skate.

saltypig

Rinkside
Thank you snowflake- very interesting.

Makes you wonder if skipping some of those early SP's is such a bad idea?

I've never been to Worlds before so don't really know what to expect or plan for in terms of how much skating you can enjoy watching in one day. First thought is to see as much as possible- but that Wed. and Fri. schedule is daunting (14 + hours).

I guess it'd be tough to sit through everyone but I really enjoy those early SP's seeing skaters from different countries that don't necessarily razzle and dazzle but nevertheless give it their best shot. :clap:

oleada

Record Breaker
I really enjoy a lot of the lower ranked skaters, for what it's worth. A lot of them are willing to try programs that are really artistically unique - stuff that you'd never see any of the top skaters do. The Cantu sisters from Mexico, for example, always have great interpretation and Ana Cecilia has an amazing sit spin. I think there's a lot of enjoyable stuff from these lower ranked skaters.:rock:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I really enjoy a lot of the lower ranked skaters, for what it's worth. A lot of them are willing to try programs that are really artistically unique - stuff that you'd never see any of the top skaters do. The Cantu sisters from Mexico, for example, always have great interpretation and Ana Cecilia has an amazing sit spin. I think there's a lot of enjoyable stuff from these lower ranked skaters.:rock:

The Mexican ladies were my favorite lower ranked skaters at
4CC. The Cantu sisters programs really stood out and you are right they certainly had a presence on the ice. Loved their costumes too.

I too agree about some of the lower ranked skaters. One who stuck in my mind from Europeans is Javier Fernandez of Spain. I look forward to hearing how he does. Go, Javier!

Eurofan

On the Ice
I too agree about some of the lower ranked skaters. One who stuck in my mind from Europeans is Javier Fernandez of Spain. I look forward to hearing how he does. Go, Javier!

Javi is also one of my "lesser-known" faves. I was living in Madrid when he first went to Europeans ('07) and the local news did a fluff piece on him - youngest man at Europeans, first Spaniard to land a triple axel, etc.. He seems like a really nice, down-to-earth kid as well as a skater with lots of potential.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

:agree:

It is possible fore some of them to make it to the final. Last year WANG TPE with low startnumber 6 ended upp in place 22. (where is she this year?)

And there there is always the hope for nice surprises :yes:

I would love to watch the early groups if possible. But I suppose there will be nothing of them on TV or online?

As for Javier F, I agree that he is great. He was one of the guys that gave me most at Europeans.(11th place) I am glad he is in the later group. 2008 he was in the earlier group and ended 30th. Will he be the rocket of the season?

russell30

Final Flight
I really do like the earlier groups too, they can match the later groups technically but the judges always leave room in the PCS area and will probably score in the region of 15-20 for most skaters in the earlier group between 21-30 for the later group.

I would be surprised if any from the earlier group will make the cut into the free skate but you never know??

ps, Melinda Sherilyn Wang was not selected for worlds as she was behind another chinese taipai skater at 4CC's (the name has slipped my mind) and besides she is not in the kind of shape she was in last year.

Shame about Julia Sebestyen I don't think we will see her again at world's but she will aim for the olympics next year for sure!!

Glad Victoria Muniz is on the entries list, she was unlucky not to make the free skate last year, full of energy and attack.

PS Does anyone know what happened to Ami Parekh of India, did she retire to pursue other things??

Alicja

On the Ice
Iliushechkina/Maisuradze have been replaced by Ksenia Ozerova and Alexander Enbert. Good luck to these two! They did a great job at the Universiade.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Iliushechkina/Maisuradze have been replaced by Ksenia Ozerova and Alexander Enbert. Good luck to these two! They did a great job at the Universiade.
Well, they must be thrilled. Not about their colleagues' injury of course, but about the opportunity to go to L.A. and to Worlds. They can just enjoy the experience, nobody really expects much from them. The three spots have to be secured by K/S and M/T anyway. I think these two have some potential, with their good clear lines and nice basic skills.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, they must be thrilled. Not about their colleagues' injury of course, but about the opportunity to go to L.A. and to Worlds. They can just enjoy the experience, nobody really expects much from them. The three spots have to be secured by K/S and M/T anyway. I think these two have some potential, with their good clear lines and nice basic skills.

Agreed, they must be thrilled, especially after having to withdraw from the JGPF and Russian Nats due to her injury. Their 3T is also consistent, so that's a great sign. They struggle a bit with the throws sometimes, but then she lands them, they're gorgeous. They also are very consistent in getting high level elements.

For a team that's only been together since 2007 - this is a great accomplishment! :rock: