ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms | Page 14 | Golden Skate

ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms

leafygreens

Final Flight
It really is a waste of resources to go through 3-4 dresses each season which cost $5000- $10,000 each. It's like when Meghan Markle wears a $50,000 engagement dress. What is the purpose of this other than needlessly flaunting. When skaters are systemically made to feel that they must have a dress like this, there's a problem.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really is a waste of resources to go through 3-4 dresses each season which cost $5000- $10,000 each. It's like when Meghan Markle wears a $50,000 engagement dress. What is the purpose of this other than needlessly flaunting. When skaters are systemically made to feel that they must have a dress like this, there's a problem.

Goddess! I had no idea they cost this much!!! No wonder we're suffering from lack of female figure skaters!

Manitou

Medalist
A thought-provoking article, although not necessarily a ground-breaking argument.

We've had this debate among ourselves.

I tend to side with the author, but not completely.

Unrealized by me: The ISU rulebook actually requires that clothing "must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition -- not garish or theatrical in design."

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/21767077/figure-skating-needs-transition-costumes-uniforms

Didn't read the article, but I agree that much stricter clothing rules must be defined and enforced. Gabriela broke all the rules in SD in my opinion and I hope her case will trigger some actions.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

lappo

Final Flight
Up to $5000 for one dress and $10,000 common per season. It's the crystals, and the designer. I read that even the Olympics gymnastic leotards are $1200

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-gymnastics-leotards-cost_us_57adf353e4b069e7e504e6c3

The big difference between the gymnastic leotards and the figure skating dresses is that the first are sponsored and the athletes get them for free and show them at the Olympic; the FS dresses come out of the skater's pocket. The whole situation topic was recently addressed in an interview where the mum of a juvenile skater stated that her LP dress costed 2000 and more dollars; however Duhamel twitted that hers were 750 dollars, which is still expensive but not so crazy (and I remember Gracie Gold dress at the Olympics was around 1000 dollars as well). Which makes me feel that the 2000-3000 dollars dress are more a choice than a real necessity.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Interesting article. I'm not sure about the uniform, but certainly a little more modesty would be in order.

leafygreens

Final Flight
The big difference between the gymnastic leotards and the figure skating dresses is that the first are sponsored and the athletes get them for free and show them at the Olympic; the FS dresses come out of the skater's pocket. The whole situation topic was recently addressed in an interview where the mum of a juvenile skater stated that her LP dress costed 2000 and more dollars; however Duhamel twitted that hers were 750 dollars, which is still expensive but not so crazy (and I remember Gracie Gold dress at the Olympics was around 1000 dollars as well). Which makes me feel that the 2000-3000 dollars dress are more a choice than a real necessity.

I'm not saying that leos need to come out of gymnasts pockets either, just that they are comparatively as expensive as skating dresses because of the crystals.