ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms | Page 13 | Golden Skate

ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Costumes for the win!

Honestly though one of the best things about figure skating is the individuality of the athletes in their presentations. Why would anyone want to take that away?

I now want to write an article called: Why can't bobsled be more like figure skating? You must now slide to music and perform choreography while bombing down the track at 120 clicks.

"Well team Estonia might have gotten down the track the fastest but they are going to lose marks for their lack of artistry. It's a shame but I don't think sliding to POTO did them any favours."

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I now want to write an article called: Why can't bobsled be more like figure skating? You must now slide to music and perform choreography while bombing down the track at 120 clicks.

"Well team Estonia might have gotten down the track the fastest but they are going to lose marks for their lack of artistry. It's a shame but I don't think sliding to POTO did them any favours."

Not gonna lie, I think Bobsled would become a favourite sport of mine if they did that. It'd be hilarious! :laugh2:

noskates

Record Breaker
Costumes for the win!

Honestly though one of the best things about figure skating is the individuality of the athletes in their presentations. Why would anyone want to take that away?

AncientPeas (we always bold your name now :laugh2:) I laughed out loud when I read your post. Can't wait to see the Biathlon to Carmen!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
AncientPeas (we always bold your name now :laugh2:) I laughed out loud when I read your post. Can't wait to see the Biathlon to Carmen!

Timing your shooting might be tricky as you can only do it during the chimes and booms in the music.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Costumes for the win!

I am already thinking which songs would be their warhorses. Vangelis? Queen? Carmen? Tosca's Luceve? Rigoletto's La donna e mobile?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Big no to uniforms. Costumes are part of figure skating and many people watch figure skating BECAUSE it is a show and because of the pretty costumes.

I gotten into watching figure skating because my grandparents watched it... because they liked to criticize and fawn over the costumes. They knew not much about the jumps and elements and whatnot. I guess many people are like that.

also, this article tries to make a point:

This emphasis on subjective factors doesn't just penalize skaters who, like Harding, can't afford the fanciest outfits. It also works against skaters who don't fit the conventional norms of attractiveness. There's nothing in the rulebook that says a skater will be penalized for having facial eczema, crooked teeth or, in the case of a female skater, unshaven armpits, but does anyone doubt that all of those would result in demerits?

Wouldn't a uniform play against those who aren't conventionally pretty? Pretty girls and guys will look good even in a sack, but maybe some skaters appreciate they can choose the style of costumes that flatters them and in which they feel good. I notice some skaters tend to choose the same style of costumes, likely because they feel its most flattering for them. And while money can play a role... you can look good and classy in cheapish costume... and spend lots of money to look tacky.... though to be honest, tacky costumes make it even more fun :D)

A standardized uniform can't solve all of those problems, but it would be a good start. And surely Nike or Under Armour could design something with a bit of flair while keeping it sporty and classy (maybe they could even hire Harding as a celebrity consultant). You know some country is bound to try this eventually, just to buck the trend. Here's hoping it's soon.

I don't want any Carmens and Black swans in uniforms. Wouldn't look weird if everybody was in the same clothes, but performed to very different style? It would hold the sport back.

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh I don't know - ski jumping with swan wings might be attractive.

I think ESPN ought to leave figure skating alone.

ordinary person

On the Ice
I can see where he's coming from even though i strongly disagree. Why in god's name would he even consider the thought of taking away costumes?

If he only did some proper research, he would've have acknowledged that these stunningly gorgeous costumes totally add up to the programs they're skating to however also have that athletic look so i really don't see the need for these horrendous dull uniforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-geTAlYGBc&index=24&list=PLjxV856l8CnYqRQRz4Vll0E7Ag6c9EV3u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbJxQMJMnk&list=PLjxV856l8CnYqRQRz4Vll0E7Ag6c9EV3u&index=26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ctClvH-zg&index=22&list=PLB89A1747BF825EFD

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e1c113fe1647bf402430b59bcd173c86&oe=5AF11279

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After hearing the Debi Thomas podcast from Manleywoman, and hearing her voice some of the same complaints as Tonya Harding (being underscored for not having the "right" skating dress, it makes me rethink this whole thing. I have to wonder if this still goes on, even subconsciously, and judges are going to score someone in Vera Wang over someone whos mother sewed their costume. It shouldn't matter.

brightphoton

Medalist
After hearing the Debi Thomas podcast from Manleywoman, and hearing her voice some of the same complaints as Tonya Harding (being underscored for not having the "right" skating dress, it makes me rethink this whole thing. I have to wonder if this still goes on, even subconsciously, and judges are going to score someone in Vera Wang over someone whos mother sewed their costume. It shouldn't matter.

Does anyone remember Canadian skater Mira Leung?

https://youtu.be/0jz6olr2-v0

I remember there was talk on this forum that her skating dresses were

*gasp*

off-the-rack.

I said what does it matter what she wears, as long as it's a pretty and suitable dress? But I got drowned out by "she's a senior elite skater, she should have custom dresses" and "her dress are so ill-fitting, she should get more expensive outfits."

ordinary person

On the Ice
This is exactly why i said i can see where the author is coming from. It's always about dresses in preference to both the top and the bottom of the costume, and let's not forget the obsession of skin tone which is the most relevant reason why skaters are seen as mere showgirls or beauty pageant contestants.