European Ice Dance | Golden Skate

European Ice Dance

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
This weekend I watched the Senior Dance at Hungarian Test Skates. Thanks to #HunSkate always providing a fabulous livestream, this season enhanced with Replays and a wider angle. (Which begs the question why can't British Ice Skating provide the same for the Sheffield Qualifier next week?) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was impressed with the 3rd ranked new couple for me, who are very Dancey and Choreo orientated. They had a lively Rhythm Dance to a Beyonce Medley, though alot of the choreo was on two feet, a good impression was made. Especially in their imaginative Free Dance, where they placed 2nd, but remained 3rd overall. It started beautifully with matching arm choreo, and she wore a Japanese costume (please don't start with the Cultural appropriation, my Japanese Ice Dancer friend loved it and recorded it to save, so she doesn't have a problem). 😜 They deservedly climbed in this segment.

In 2nd place in the RD and Overall - Daniil Szemko seems to have a new partner, I loved his previous one whom he had a long Junior career with, I don't know what happened? But I imagine his new partner Maria Ignateva is Russian/Ukrainian, of that ilk. Their RD looked good, but sadly the FD was very messy and he fell in a major Lift, obviously losing alot of points and they lost their way in the final section. He understandably looked upset afterwards. There was alot of separation in the FD and side by side choreo - which seems to be the norm these days, (it's me who is out of touch and from when most of Ice Dance was in hold) - but I didn't enjoy the music and it'll take time to gel as a couple. He looked more mature than her at this point. Does anyone know what his previous partner is doing?

In 1st in RD & FD - Anna Yanovskaya & Adam Lukacs - Enjoyed the Rhythm Dance opening with Midnight Blues PD to a female vocal of "Come Together" (not the Beatles) but the 2nd part to Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" was not as good and looked like it needed more practise.
Their FD was much better to a French Ballad, romantic and skated well, though the Judges didn't go overboard on the scores with 103 (don't forget this is a domestic event). Because of their lack of height difference all of their Lifts were low balance lifts, and whilst watching I just thought, good for you Anna, your previous partner and coach discarded you in Russia, but here you are still skating and hoping to go to Olympics.

Thanks again #HunSkate enjoyed it! :thank:

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
This weekend I watched the Senior Dance at Hungarian Test Skates. Thanks to #HunSkate always providing a fabulous livestream, this season enhanced with Replays and a wider angle. (Which begs the question why can't British Ice Skating provide the same for the Sheffield Qualifier next week?) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was impressed with the 3rd ranked new couple for me, who are very Dancey and Choreo orientated. They had a lively Rhythm Dance to a Beyonce Medley, though alot of the choreo was on two feet, a good impression was made. Especially in their imaginative Free Dance, where they placed 2nd, but remained 3rd overall. It started beautifully with matching arm choreo, and she wore a Japanese costume (please don't start with the Cultural appropriation, my Japanese Ice Dancer friend loved it and recorded it to save, so she doesn't have a problem). 😜 They deservedly climbed in this segment.

In 2nd place in the RD and Overall - Daniil Szemko seems to have a new partner, I loved his previous one whom he had a long Junior career with, I don't know what happened? But I imagine his new partner Maria Ignateva is Russian/Ukrainian, of that ilk. Their RD looked good, but sadly the FD was very messy and he fell in a major Lift, obviously losing alot of points and they lost their way in the final section. He understandably looked upset afterwards. There was alot of separation in the FD and side by side choreo - which seems to be the norm these days, (it's me who is out of touch and from when most of Ice Dance was in hold) - but I didn't enjoy the music and it'll take time to gel as a couple. He looked more mature than her at this point. Does anyone know what his previous partner is doing?

In 1st in RD & FD - Anna Yanovskaya & Adam Lukacs - Enjoyed the Rhythm Dance opening with Midnight Blues PD to a female vocal of "Come Together" (not the Beatles) but the 2nd part to Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" was not as good and looked like it needed more practise.
Their FD was much better to a French Ballad, romantic and skated well, though the Judges didn't go overboard on the scores with 103 (don't forget this is a domestic event). Because of their lack of height difference all of their Lifts were low balance lifts, and whilst watching I just thought, good for you Anna, your previous partner and coach discarded you in Russia, but here you are still skating and hoping to go to Olympics.

Thanks again #HunSkate enjoyed it! :thank:
Did Emily Monaghan / Ilias Fourati skate?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks La Rhumba. Any idea why? I thought they were Hungary's #2 senior ice dance couple?
I don't know for sure, but as far as I remember they trained in America, so maybe they were unable to travel at this time? I'm a bit out of touch with break ups, so haven't heard if they're still together or not? Can anyone else help?

Moving to Bulgarian Ice Dance: :)
The former Bulgarian No.1 couple, Mina Zdravkova & Chris Davis, have retired from Competition and are now Coaching in London. Their rink Lee Valley has recently closed for rebuilding of a new Twin Pad and extra facilities and will hopefully re-open in 2022 (and hopefully apply to host a JGP). So they're coaching at Streatham, a new GB Junior couple, Lily Mathias & Theo Alexander, who have their debut comp next week at Sheffield in a British Championship Qualifier. (y)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
The Czech team Mrazkova/Mrazek looked really good at JGP Courchevel! Good skating skills and lines, especially brother, and they almost got a medal if not for a little mistake.
Their next JGP is Krasnoyarsk. Medal chances are next to none there, but I look forward to watching them again :)

readernick

Medalist
The Czech team Mrazkova/Mrazek looked really good at JGP Courchevel! Good skating skills and lines, especially brother, and they almost got a medal if not for a little mistake.
Their next JGP is Krasnoyarsk. Medal chances are next to none there, but I look forward to watching them again :)
They are so charming. Mrazek was, in particular, impressive to me because he is such a good performer for a young man of his age. Just an all around adorable, talented team.

Weathergal

Medalist
I don't know for sure, but as far as I remember they trained in America, so maybe they were unable to travel at this time? I'm a bit out of touch with break ups, so haven't heard if they're still together or not? Can anyone else help?

Moving to Bulgarian Ice Dance: :)
The former Bulgarian No.1 couple, Mina Zdravkova & Chris Davis, have retired from Competition and are now Coaching in London. Their rink Lee Valley has recently closed for rebuilding of a new Twin Pad and extra facilities and will hopefully re-open in 2022 (and hopefully apply to host a JGP). So they're coaching at Streatham, a new GB Junior couple, Lily Mathias & Theo Alexander, who have their debut comp next week at Sheffield in a British Championship Qualifier. (y)
Thanks for the info @La Rhumba That is a good point about them training in the US. I just checked, and they train with Melissa Gregory / Denis Petukhov in Newington Connecticut, which I have forgotten. I was curious because I've only seem them skate a few times, but I like them. I first saw them skate at Universiade a few years ago, which is also where I discovered Zdravkova / Davis, who I like as well! I didn't realize they've retired so thank you for that info, too!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What a treat to see the three French "guest" ice dance couples performing as a group at the beginning of today's JGP Courchevel gala.

Demougeot/Le Mercier, Terreaux/Perron, and (I think) Dupayage/Nabais skating together to Carmen, from about 12:57 to 20:00.
I loved it.
(Just wish that the lighting design had not made it so difficult to see the skating, choreography, and costuming.)

Loicia/Theo (just the two of them) perform again to Michael Jackson medley (at approx. 1:07:55, after the resurfacing).

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
What a treat to see the three French "guest" ice dance couples performing as a group at the beginning of today's JGP Courchevel gala.

Demougeot/Le Mercier, Terreaux/Perron, and (I think) Dupayage/Nabais skating together to Carmen, from about 12:57 to 20:00.
I loved it.
(Just wish that the lighting design had not made it so difficult to see the skating, choreography, and costuming.)

Loicia/Theo (just the two of them) perform again to Michael Jackson medley (at approx. 1:07:55, after the resurfacing), to Michael Jackson medley.

Thanks so much for sharing that, Ice Coverage! The triplicate Carmen is, oh-so-wonderfully French (I loved it also), and I’m thinking that the Michael Jackson might actually be Demougeout/Le Mercier’s RD for this season—at least, a rough draft of it. In which case, I wonder if we might be looking at a costume violation :)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the info @La Rhumba That is a good point about them training in the US. I just checked, and they train with Melissa Gregory / Denis Petukhov in Newington Connecticut, which I have forgotten. I was curious because I've only seem them skate a few times, but I like them. I first saw them skate at Universiade a few years ago, which is also where I discovered Zdravkova / Davis, who I like as well! I didn't realize they've retired so thank you for that info, too!
You are very welcome! The Hungarian couple you like were very dynamic and looked promising, so let's see if they return to competition. Yes, Mina & Chris made it to the last Europeans that took place and had qualified for Worlds, which was cancelled. But finally made it to Worlds in Stockholm. :)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I loved it.

[/URL]​
They performed that the last time there was a JGP in Courchevel, 2019, I think it was the same 3 couples. It's great that they always have a Gala at this event.
The French lady Dance Coach had a new male assistant with her in the K&C, but it was hard to see his face with the face mask. Does anyone know who he is?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I scrolled through the Russian video, but Sara & Kirill didn't appear to skate their Free Dance today. So we'll have to wait to see that.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Olivia & Adrian will be competing at the Autumn Classic International in Canada, mid September, so not too long to wait to see their new programs. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Olivia & Adrian will be competing at the Autumn Classic International in Canada, mid September, so not too long to wait to see their new programs. :)

And to continue the Spanish theme, Sofía Val and her new Cypriot-Russian partner, Nikita Vitryanyuk, will be making their debut at the fifth Junior GP, the Ljubljana Cup, the following week.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
And to continue the Spanish theme, Sofía Val and her new Cypriot-Russian partner, Nikita Vitryanyuk, will be making their debut at the fifth Junior GP, the Ljubljana Cup, the following week.

CaroLiza_fan
I didn't know she'd split up from her Danish partner!! 😮 Thanks for the update!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I didn't know she'd split up from her Danish partner!! 😮 Thanks for the update!

Judging by their Instagram posts, Linus didn't know they were splitting either...

Sofía's announcement:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBYW9AZCdY5/

Linus' announcement:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBaRPSUpukc/

Linus hasn't posted anything skating related since then, so I don't know what's happening with him. But, as I've already mentioned, Sofía does have a new partner.

Sofía's announcement:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIERoRgM4-/

Nikita's announcement:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNISgSVJlX8/

(In case you're wondering, Nikita was born in Moscow, but grew up in Limassol / Leymosun).

I liked both of them in their previous partnerships, so I hope they do well.

CaroLiza_fan