Evgenia Medvedeva interview about Canada and the journalists | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva interview about Canada and the journalists

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many thanks for posting and translating! i wish her the very best for the future and hope she will grow into the new style of skating. I felt that the style of the new SP didn't quite suit her but time may make it better.

I felt that the "new style" of skating may be better described as experimenting. Brian Orser takes even his most accomplished new-to-TCC skaters back down to the basics, and that's what I see in Evgenia's skating ... she seems to have incorporated different ways of meaning into her body. (well, that's redundant ... incorporated means in the body! LOL)

Her SP has recognizable Sandra Bezic touches. That may or may not continue; if I read Brian right, he likes to diversify a skater's style before he hones it to perfection. In any case, I'm looking forward to today's FS and to see how Evgenia develops her skating in the future.

ETA: Hunh. I accidentally typed "meaning" instead of "moving," but I think I mean both. :)

kimi492

Final Flight
I seriously doubt Doug straight up lied and it also doesn’t seem misconstrued considering he said he heard this straight from Brian. Reading through the lines, this is damage control more than anything else. Doug unfortunately has come across like a friend you really can’t tell secrets to tbh - they will go off at the mouth without intending to be malicious they just can’t seem to keep their gob closed. As soon as I saw that Doug said that before all this blowback, my immediate thought was that considering how private Brian and the TCC is, he had F’d up by spilling that to TSL.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I seriously doubt Doug straight up lied and it also doesn’t seem misconstrued considering he said he heard this straight from Brian. Reading through the lines, this is damage control more than anything else. Doug unfortunately has come across like a friend you really can’t tell secrets to tbh - they will go off at the mouth without intending to be malicious they just can’t seem to keep their gob closed. As soon as I saw that Doug said that before all this blowback, my immediate thought was that considering how private Brian and the TCC is, he had F’d up by spilling that to TSL.

Doug is known for creating drama and spreading rumours. During Olympics he accused Evgenia of doping. The same Evgenia he is praising now as being so sweet and kind LoL.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doug is known for creating drama and spreading rumours. During Olympics he accused Evgenia of doping. The same Evgenia he is praising now as being so sweet and kind LoL.

Quotes and links to where Doug specifically accused Evgenia of doping please

(and not someone’s interpretation of the opinions of whether the Russian team should have been banned altogether because of doping violations. *I* believe that and said that. And nowhere ever have I said that Zhenya was doping. That would be completely misconstruing my words ;)

rikaquegira

On the Ice

(and not someone’s interpretation of the opinions of whether the Russian team should have been banned altogether because of doping violations. *I* believe that and said that. And nowhere ever have I said that Zhenya was doping. That would be completely misconstruing my words ;)

I vaguely remember a post Olympic video Doug participated on TSL. I think it was for the Ladies event segment where they reviewed stuff or something. I think it was then where they talked about the whole OAR situation and the Russian Ladies. [emoji106]
Not sure Doug said the words “they are doping” though. I’d have to watch it again.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I vaguely remember a post Olympic video Doug participated on TSL. I think it was for the Ladies event segment where they reviewed stuff or something. I think it was then where they talked about the whole OAR situation and the Russian Ladies. [emoji106]
Not sure Doug said the words “they are doping” though. I’d have to watch it again.

That’s what I vaguely remember too, the state doping program, the ladies, did it affect the ladies.

I do NOT want to raise that again. But I want to say it’s an immense, not *at all* logical leap from someone saying “Well, maybe somehow some ladies were involved” to someone saying “Zhenya is doping”.

I realize Doug is everyone’s favorite whipping boy now. But if you are going to criticize someone, criticize them for what they actually said. The precise words, no more, no less. Otherwise, the whole point tends to be undermined.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Eteri anger about upping the age limit at the press conference after the Olympics.

So that she would look just an upset coach whose interests were violated. This is an evidence that she doesn't calculate such things.

As for Evgenia - it could be RusFed's initiative, but hardly Eteri's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SETbonbZOhY&t=43m20s

Would you please transcribe the phrase at 44:50? I made out "it's pharmaceutical", but I'm not sure with what certainty he made this claim.

TryMeLater

On the Ice

He didn't say Medvedeva doped.
He said that's its weird how the bodies of some skaters change immediately after a big win (he gave Sotnikova and Lipnitskia as examples if skaters who grew in size after the Olys) and wondered what they are doing off ice to keep the shape (coaches and doctors).
Then, Dave asked if the strict diet is what keeps their weight low, and so when they go on TV shows like DWTS they get bigger? Is it the change of practice environment? Doug replied that he thinks it's pharmaceutical.
Then, Dave went on about Evgenia's weight loss, and Doug says that the OAR result in the Olys is shocking (10-11 place), and that there is a reason that they didn't allow everybody in. So, if other athletes are doping, why not skaters?
Dave also talked about how a lot of russian athletes go to the same doctor in Germany (that's connected to Usain Bolt and such) and we know that Medvedeva went to Germany after her injury.

Doug never called Evgenia by name.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
So that she would look just an upset coach whose interests were violated. This is an evidence that she doesn't calculate such things.

As for Evgenia - it could be RusFed's initiative, but hardly Eteri's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SETbonbZOhY&t=43m20s

Would you please transcribe the phrase at 44:50? I made out "it's pharmaceutical", but I'm not sure with what certainty he made this claim.

He said: I'm going go out on a tangent and say it's pharmaceutical

- - - Updated - - -

Doug was talking about 2014 and 2018 skaters as a whole, it can hardly be interpreted as that he didn't include Evgenia or Alina.

Yeah, But he talked as a whole. He didn't mean that this person doped and this didn't.

frida80

Record Breaker
Interesting. Doug says Brian told him about what Eteri said to Evgenia, she calls it a dubious interview. Nothing beats FS drama.

People who have nothing to lose will lie about anything. If this was an independent entity that lose money, they'd change their tone.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Yeah, But he talked as a whole. He didn't mean that this person doped and this didn't.

Still, he said it in the context of discussing Alina's and Zhenya's achievements. And all the further discussion was full of insinuations about them.

kimi492

Final Flight
I’m still missing the point some of y’all are trying to make? Doug’s speculations about Russian doping is irrelevant to whether or not Doug is friends with Brian and whether or not Brian told him that. Brian could easily come out and disavow everything Doug has said (all the tidbits he heard from Brian, how Brian is his best friend,etc.) but he’s not going to. Why? Because it’s obvious that they are indeed friends and that Doug put his foot in his mouth and should have never repeated anything like that from inside TCC.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A huge difference between “Russian ladies” (some Russian ladies, all Russian ladies, without an article or modifier in English could be one, the, or neither), insinuations and flat out “He said Zhenya is doping”.

No he didn’t say it.

Criticism of someone for a direct quote is one thing. Criticism of someone for a conclusion based on analysis of an entire discussion is something else. I’m sorry to be so pedantic, my professional life was spent, in part, using quotes to prove facts.

And it really doesn’t matter. Brian Orser is Zhenya’s coach, and his direct quotes I care about:)

@Dante, thank you for the translation, it was very interesting and I appreciate your sharing:clap:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Brian could easily come out and disavow everything Doug has said (all the tidbits he heard from Brian, how Brian is his best friend,etc.) but he’s not going to.

Until 2 days ago people were saying exactly the same thing about Zhenya. They proved to be wrong.

Criticism of someone for a direct quote is one thing. Criticism of someone for a conclusion based on analysis of an entire discussion is something else. I’m sorry to be so pedantic, my professional life was spent, in part, using quotes to prove facts.

I criticize Doug Haw for spreading rumors about Eteri and the girls, as much as non-legal it may sound.

@Dante, thank you for the translation, it was very interesting and I appreciate your sharing:clap:

My pleasure. :thumbsup: