Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm gonna jump in here on page six of this thread and ignore the arguing, just because of this reason: last Halloween, my daughter, who was seven at the time, dressed up as Sailor Moon SPECIFICALLY because of Evgenia's exhibition. :yes:

Perfume

Match Penalty
Sailor Moon is legendary among many generations, even I disliked the fetish side of the fandom. This ex is very effective.
Now I would love to see someone play Tuxedo Mask with Med in this ex. It will drive young fans nuts I think.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
One thing I strongly disagree with here is the comment on Plushenko's Sex Bomb! How could you say it was a "silly exhibition"? Do you know how many people are still in deep love with this program till today? TBH, very few posters here are artists in real life, so always taking ART as the subject for discussion is not funny at all!

moriel

Record Breaker
It doesn't. Someone is just grasping at straws for excuses to bash Evgenia again. Any excuse will do.

Commercial ice shows and galas are 95% pure cheesefests and they always have been. And it's perfectly understandable - you have to sell some tickets & appeal to the general public. They have never presented themselves as a highbrow experience and they never will. There are niche places where you can find more experimental performances, like the Ice Theatre of New York, but they aren't going to be shown on TV and they aren't going to have enough crossover appeal to non-skating fans to fill an arena.

Yup, and I love that.
And I honestly wish there was more of pop stuff in competition programs. Doesnt have to be a cheesefest (med's ex isnt, for example), just more modern and fun stuff.

Classical music for skating is a major personal peeve for me ;) It sounds horrible on rink and totally messes up awesome music pieces, which cannot be fully appreciated. The sound at rinks is bad, the cuts totally damage the integrity of the pieces and well, just a profanation really.

Perfume

Match Penalty
One thing I strongly disagree with here is the comment on Plushenko's Sex Bomb! How could you say it was a "silly exhibition"? Do you know how many people are still in deep love with this program till today? TBH, very few posters here are artists in real life, so always taking ART as the subject for discussion is not funny at all!
I can't stand that sex bomb program. I agree it's a fun program and people of those days love it more than hate.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
tbh i thought her Sailor Moon program was pretty cool. I was a fun show program for a fun show and I say that as someone who dislikes her skating and dislikes pretty much all of her programs. I am surprised it got so much attention though. I didn't know sailor moon was so popular?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It doesn't. Someone is just grasping at straws for excuses to bash Evgenia again. Any excuse will do.

Commercial ice shows and galas are 95% pure cheese fests and they always have been. And it's perfectly understandable - you have to sell some tickets & appeal to the general public. They have never presented themselves as a highbrow experience and they never will. There are niche places where you can find more experimental performances, like the Ice Theatre of New York, but they aren't going to be shown on TV and they aren't going to have enough crossover appeal to non-skating fans to fill an arena.

Wait a minute... you are clearly making my statement out of context again, and way to go with the character assassination. If you read my original post, I said if anyone else does it would consider as a 'sell out' with example/comparison raised in my subsequent posts for similar approach. I also said Evgenia got away with it because of her youth, like Julia did with her Schindler's list, and proposed actually the program would work better 2 years ago but it worked because it is in Japan for the right audience. What is wrong with that? How is it a bash, when the statement applies to everyone equally with the same approach for popularism?

If you look at my past history, how I expressed about Jason Brown's galas, you'd understand I have very low tolerance to nothing but cheese approach to galas (You need to mix it up, it is about balance, development, challenge yourself, otherwise how else are you going to 'develop'), so I am hardly bashing Evegenia. By the way, Good comedy can be art, I don't know why I am accused of thinking only high brow classical programs is 'artistic'. It is laughable. I have also suggested for many years in various music threads to include use of lyrics, modern contemporary classical pieces, including recommending works of Karl Jenkins, Alexander Desplat, and Abel Korzeniowski, which happened to the composers of choice for her past 2 seasons programs. I actually think it is one of the secret to her success and the importance of good music.

For me, Plushy's comedy works because there are so many layers and components to the program, it is rather sophisticated for its daring to break the mode of its time, it is also better thought out beyond just merely packaging where he is clearly making fun of himself and it simply works, much like Javier's gym workout program. It takes more than just costumes and subject matter to create a good program. And actually, I wish nothing but the best for ANY skaters wanting to improve that... when they have genuinely invested their time and effort to develop well rounded and well realised great programs. You can just see it, the work speaks for itself. Much like Jason Brown has done in his FS that is different and certainly a huge challenge and milestone from his previous works, he earned his PCS through that process. What's wrong with wanting to see quality and substance, sport leaders (who speaks for the sport) genuinely and sincerely wanting to push themselves, attempt transcendence (thats are age appropriate) whatever the approach, be it a fun light hearted one or a serious one?

Art is formless, but it is rarely superficial and it needs substance. It is certainly more than just packaging. It is about balance, creativity, process and substance, you can't just keep doing same flavoured cheese all the time, or rather you can, but don't be surprised not everyone is going to fall in love with it and see it for what it is.

One last thing, I highly question your stats of 95% cheese fest.. if that's the truth, I am not surprised the the sports has fallen so much from general appeal, if it can't even take itself seriously.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I can't stand that sex bomb program. I agree it's a fun program and people of those days love it more than hate.

Yeah, I am too old for this... :rofl: You should check specifically how many clicks the Sex Bomb has got so far on YouTube before making any judgment.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yeah, I am too old for this... :rofl: You should check specifically how many clicks the Sex Bomb has got so far on YouTube before making any judgment.

I said in one of my preivous posts the a sex bomb video had more than 14 million viewers in february. Last year the sex bomb run across the Facebook in March, greated the women with it. Earned 5 million viewers.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I cannot believe my eyes. Something is changing at GS. For the first time Evgenia bashing posts do not collect thumbs ups, any.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
I cannot believe my eyes. Something is changing at GS. For the first time Evgenia bashing posts do not collect thumbs ups, any.

Naoko Takeuchi — 'Fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon!'

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Naoko Takeuchi — 'Fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon!'

She will never turn her back on a friend! She is always there to defend! She is the one on who we can depend! She is the one named Sailor...