Favorite Skaters of All Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Skaters of All Time

seimei

On the Ice
yuzuru hanyu
yulia lipnitskaya
pang/tong
papadakis /cizeron

I'm quite new this sports, so many beautiful skaters. Especially love unique skaters like yuzu, yulia.
I don't follow much about pair and ice dace, but P/T and P/C are simply beautiful.
I wish my favorites will have bright future.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Ladies: Yuna Kim- her triumphant performances at Vancouver Olympics are simply brilliant, though we saw a sad ending to her partnership with Orser after the Games. :cool2:
Men: Yuzuru- he wins me over with his outstanding natural talent and fearless fighting spirits on ice. :bow:
Pairs: Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze- their "City Lights" (at 2001 Worlds) and "Lady Caliph" (at 2002 Winter Olympics) are the best pairs programs I have ever seen. :2thumbs:
Dance: Papadakis/Cizeron- they are the artists on ice I love and admire dearly. :love:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to say Plushenko! Not that I've watched that much figure skating because it's only recently been shown on Australian free-to-air TV (outside of the Olymics of course). But I just love his programs - "crazy arm waving" and "hamming it up" and all. He also skated my all-time favourite figure skating program of all time with Tribute to Njinsky, I could watch it forever! :biggrin:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Actually pretty easy for me.

Ladies:
Michelle Kwan
Men: Alexei Yagudin, Brian Joubert
Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy
Dance: Drobiazko/Vanagas, Davis/White

The sad part is none of them is competing any more, save Aliona, but it's not the same with Bruno. Which means I am in a deep skating crisis with virtually no favorites. Still waiting to get as obsessed about some new skaters as I was about those listed above.

Sam L

Medalist
Men: Patrick Chan (It's all about blade to the ice. If there was one skater I wish I could skate like, it would be him.)

Ladies: Polina Tsurskaya (Yeah she has grown on me that much. There are many, many female skaters I like past and present so it's very hard to pick one but if I had to pick one, it'll be someone whose programs I simply can't stop watching right now) :laugh:

Pairs: I never really got into Pairs

Ice Dance: Platov and Grishuk

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men - Todd Eldredge (duh!) - honorable mention - Brian Orser, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning
Ladies - Midori Ito - honorable mention - Yuka Sato
Pairs - Katia & Sergei - honorable mention - Shen & Zhao
Dance - Meryl & Charlie - honorable mention - The Shibs, The Kerrs

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Ladies- Yuna Kim, just amazing all round, other faves Shizuka Arakawa, Katarina Witt, Carolina Kostner Michelle Kwan and Chen Lu

Men- Alexei Yugudin, his SP at the Salt Lake Olympics is enough said!!! Other mentions to Stephane Lambiel and Javier Fernadez.

Pairs- Gordeeva and Grinkov. I've never been big on pairs skating but I do remember seeing them in Calgary 88 and WOW!

Dance- Torvill and Dean. Like pairs, I never been big on dance, I remember them very well and had artistry and grace that many of today's skaters would dream of having.

Suze

Rinkside
Men: Jeffrey Buttle

Ladies: Yuna Kim

Pairs: Gordeeva/Grinkov

Dance: Virtue/Moir

I have many favorites so this was hard but I wrote the first names that popped into my head for each category.

newyn

On the Ice
Takahiko Kozuka

I admire and respect a lot of other skaters also but his skating is something really special.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since I really only follow one discipline, I'm going to take four choices and devote them all to men :laugh:(hehehehe).

Early (and now and forever): the one and only Toller. And the skater who took most advantage of the door Toller opened, John Curry.

Middle era: Christopher Bowman

Now: Jason Brown

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
COP ERA

Ladies: Yuna Kim

Men: Toss up between Patrick and Hanyu.

I honestly can't decide. I may flipflop according to performance on the day, but after their most recent FS outing, I am aghast, in awe and can't decide. The thing is they are not yet at their optimal level yet vs 2 times world champion Javier (current judges fav) makes this year's World a must watch.

If Patrick can be compared to a Rembrandt, a Turner, a Vermeer, incredible master of techniques, classics studies, and greatness. Hanyu is like a Michael Jackson, a Mozart, genius/entertainer, with the colours/shapes/energy of Chagall, Kandinsky and Jackson Pollack.

Honourable Mention: Daisuke Takahashi - Picasso, Matisse and Elvis in one.

Dance: Virtue / Moir. Carmen, enough said. I prefer them to the American team at the Olympics. More organic and less calculated. Politics are not at their side.

Pair: Shen / Zhao - beautiful life/love story on ice.

6.0 ERA

Ladies: Michell Kwan

Men: Kurt Browning

Dance: Torvill and Dean

Pair: Gordeeva / Grinkov - beautiful life/love story on ice.

Last edited:

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Ladies: Slutskaya

Men: Plushenko

Dance: Grishuk & Platov

Pair: Gordeeva & Grinkov

Yes..i'm russian, so what? :p:p:laugh:

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All-Time:
Ladies: Michelle Kwan, Janet Lynn
Men: Daisuke Takahashi, Yagudin, Kurt Browning
Pairs: Shen and Zhao
Dance: Torvill and Dean

Current:
Ladies: Mirai Nagasu, Mao Asada
Men: Jason Brown, Adam Rippon
Pairs: ?
Dance: Shibutanis

Other faves: Akiko Suzuki, Lambiel, Hanyu, Fernandez, Midori Ito, Satoko Miyahara, Ashley Wagner, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Davis and White, John Curry

ETA: Yikes, I forgot Kurt Browning! And Jeremy Abbott! And Alissa Czisny!

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Men: Yuzuru Hanyu (I started watching FS and stick around because of this guy. I sooo love his versatility, that he isn't afraid to challenge himself, how he is greatly able to move the sport and inspire a generation of skaters :hap10: )

Ladies : Mao Asada-- though I also appreciate the difficulty level of Elizabet Tursynbaeva's programs.

Pairs: I don't watch much of pairs but I hope for Duhammel / Radford's victory.

Dance: I also don't watch dance often and though I love Virtue / Moir this season, my favorites are Charlie White / Meryl Davis pair (hope they'd return to compete too).

Eloise

Rinkside
So hard to choose!

Men: I will go with Lambiel, but I also really love Denis Ten, Yagudin, Patrick, Javi and Yuzu

Ladies: my all time favourite skater Carolina Kostner :love: (but honorable mentions to Mao and Yuna, Midori and Sasha)

Pairs: Gordeeva/Grinkov

Dance: this is incredibly hard, but probably Virtue/Moir with Davis/White a close second and Anna and Luca, Papadakis/Cizeron and the Shibs settling for third

Last edited:

LeReveur

On the Ice
Without putting too much thought into this:

Dance team: Duchesnay & Duchesnay
Pairs team: Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze
Woman: Maria Butyrskaya
Man: Daisuke Takahashi

Not set in stone...

Rossig

On the Ice
Yes..i'm russian, so what?

So nothing. Russia has enormous traditions when it comes to FS, but I hope you also appreciate skaters from other skaters. Some of them were also quite good:).