euroskate

Final Flight
i think nobody mentioned #jasonbskates
definitely have to check out his latest vid from tokio :D

SKY1118

Rinkside
Country
Olympic
Since there are a number of instagram accounts I enjoy, I am going to raise some of my favourites which has not been raised in this thread.

I like Alexei Yagudin and Tatiana Totmianina's instagram! The videos of their daughters are too cute for this world!
Alexei Rogonov's account is interesting as well, he is pretty funny and creative!
Alexei Bychenko (another Alexei!!!) is cute! His facial expression is priceless.
Madison Chock has great pics, fierce yet elegant, oh, and dog.
Valentina Marchei's instagram is good as well! She updates this quite frequetly, so that you won't get bo
Carolina Kostner, just because.

Of course, Meryl davis and Joannie Rochette's life advanture is something you couldn't miss.
For photography aspect, other than Denis Ten who has already mentioned before, I like Alissa Czisny and Luca Lanotte (he has another account of skating life, this one is fun!)'s account the most, their pictures are beautiful!

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since there are a number of instagram accounts I enjoy, I am going to raise some of my favourites which has not been raised in this thread.

I like Alexei Yagudin and Tatiana Totmianina's instagram! The videos of their daughters are too cute for this world!
Alexei Rogonov's account is interesting as well, he is pretty funny and creative!
Alexei Bychenko (another Alexei!!!) is cute! His facial expression is priceless.
Madison Chock has great pics, fierce yet elegant, oh, and dog.
Valentina Marchei's instagram is good as well! She updates this quite frequetly, so that you won't get bo
Carolina Kostner, just because.

Of course, Meryl davis and Joannie Rochette's life advanture is something you couldn't miss.
For photography aspect, other than Denis Ten who has already mentioned before, I like Alissa Czisny and Luca Lanotte (he has another account of skating life, this one is fun!)'s account the most, their pictures are beautiful!

Oh yes, Vale's IG is great - she posts very often and is usually somewhere beautiful in Italy.. Meryl just got a puppy, which is too cute.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Agree that Adam Rippon's account is very entertaining & I like the quality of his photos - definitely a step above the usual skaters' feeds. Generally I like people who put a little bit of thought into what they post, aren't shilling any products, don't post endless selfies or pointless garbage every day, etc.

Others that come to mind - Ksenia Stolbova, Anna P., Evgenia, Misha Ge, & Plushy.

I agree with that especially. Not naming names, but a few (not the majority) seems to only post cute pictures of themselves doing nothing but posing. I don't find it interesting when my friends do it and same goes for skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Brendan is a completely adorable dork who takes lots of photos of his puppy and also posts a lot of videos of him skating which will simultaneously impress you and make you tear your hair out (in a "YOU ARE OBSCENELY TALENTED, HURRY UP AND WIN EVERYTHING" kind of way). Includes Jackie Wong's favourite 2walley-1Lo-3F-3T video.

Holy Cow!! That Jump combo was awesome!!! Has he ever landed that in Competition? Has he ever attempted it at an event? If not, he should. :bow:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lots of Russian pictures are here:
https://www.instagram.com/mihail_sharov/

Kaetlyn's page is a cuteness overload:
https://www.instagram.com/kaetkiss/

Ashley is definitely not known for overly sophistication, plus she posts too much, so I think of unfollowing her sometime in the future. But it's ok for now.
https://www.instagram.com/ashwagner2010/

Nikita's page is fun, but he hasn't posted for a while.
https://www.instagram.com/nikita_katsalapov/

I really like Evgenia's page full of explosive energy.
https://www.instagram.com/jmedvedevaj/

Another favorite is Kaitlyn's site:
https://www.instagram.com/ka2sh/

I like Elena's too:
https://www.instagram.com/lenok_radionova/

I was following Gracie until there was a moment when she was aggressively pushing her LGBT agenda, and because politics is not something sports should be about, I dumped her. Plus, she is not an active athlete anymore.
It's kind of a rule for me: I follow an athlete, but on the first political post I dump them.

I disagree with this. While I certainly think not following an athlete on social media because you don't agree with their views is fine, saying that it's wrong for a person express political views just because they are involved in sports is ridiculous (which is how I interpret your comment). They are all human beings first and have every right to express their views, just like any of us do. And I wouldn't call posting one video of her going to LA pride parade and then a picture recognizing the tragedy in Orlando where almost 50 people died (which were the only two LGBT posts I found going back 4 years on her instagram) as "aggressively pushing an LGBT agenda". Especially the shooting one - that's not an agenda, that is recognizing a terrible tragedy that occurred in her country. And as for the pride video, all that says is that she supports LGBT rights and documenting an event she attended. She didn't write a big message or preach anything.

Manitou

Medalist
I disagree with this. While I certainly think not following an athlete on social media because you don't agree with their views is fine, saying that it's wrong for a person express political views just because they are involved in sports is ridiculous (which is how I interpret your comment). They are all human beings first and have every right to express their views, just like any of us do. And I wouldn't call posting one video of her going to LA pride parade and then a picture recognizing the tragedy in Orlando where almost 50 people died (which were the only two LGBT posts I found going back 4 years on her instagram) as "aggressively pushing an LGBT agenda". Especially the shooting one - that's not an agenda, that is recognizing a terrible tragedy that occurred in her country. And as for the pride video, all that says is that she supports LGBT rights and documenting an event she attended. She didn't write a big message or preach anything.

I agree, she didn't preach much, but I have my own rules: sports is sports, and if I want to follow somebody for politics, it is going to be only a politician. I follow athletes for sports, actors for acting, photographers for photography and politicians for politics. Speaking publicly on things they are not qualified for is for me an abuse of their celebrity platform and it's my free decision to dump the person from my list.

I recently unfollowed Tom Hanks, an actor whom I admire as the best actor of all time, for posting about politics. I did it with a big regret, but it was my right. He is the best ever at speaking somebody else's text and expressing scripted emotions, but he is a nobody in political opinions. His political expertise, just as Gracie's, is equal to an expertise of a bus driver or a fisherman. He has a right to ONE vote, and that's pretty much it.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually have the complete opposite reaction as to skaters and political views; I began following Charlie White only *after* he began engaging in activism.

Different strokes for different folks.:)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Politics are a weird area for athletes and performers alike. Now, when I was touring during the 80's and early 90's we didn't have twitter or Instagram. However, we were trained NOT to discuss politics in public. When asked during interviews our answer was usually "Politics are a very complex subject and I don't want to take time away from talking about our show at a time like this." That would usually end the discussion right there. The difference however, is that I was working for Coca Cola entertainment and was not speaking in an independent environment. I assume Gracie's comments were made on her home PC and that she was not representing or speaking for the ISU or the USFSA.

Frankly, talking about an event like the Night Club shooting is IMO, a non partisan subject. I think people of both parties were effected by those shootings and I'm sure that anyone with a sense of Empathy felt for the victims.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Politics are a weird area for athletes and performers alike. Now, when I was touring during the 80's and early 90's we didn't have twitter or Instagram. However, we were trained NOT to discuss politics in public and when asked during interviews our answer was usually "Politics are a very complex subject and I don't want to take time away from talking about our show at a time like this." That would usually end the discussion right there.

Frankly, talking about an event like the Night Club shooting is IMO, a non partisan subject. I think people of both parties were effected by those shootings and I'm sure that anyone with a sense of Empathy felt for the victims.

Charlie said in a recent interview that he apologizes for all the boring interviews he gave as an active competitor :laugh:

I don't blame current competitors for keeping quiet about their political opinions, because they're bound to irritate someone, and I don't blame them for speaking out, because they're human beings on this earth with a point of view. Whatever they are comfortable doing:agree:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Charlie said in a recent interview that he apologizes for all the boring interviews he gave as an active competitor :laugh:

I don't blame current competitors for keeping quiet about their political opinions, because they're bound to irritate someone, and I don't blame them for speaking out, because they're human beings on this earth with a point of view. Whatever they are comfortable doing:agree:

This is exactly how I feel......:2thumbs:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
He has a right to ONE vote, and that's pretty much it.

People have more rights than that. Politics, current events, etc. affect everyone no matter what their job is and everybody celebrity or not should feel that they can express themselves, though I understand if many choose not to based on marketability (making a living is no laughing matter). Also, a lot of things, even the most mundane things like attending a celebratory parade, can be seen as an expression on one's beliefs. I'm not saying you're wrong to drop people if you don't want to hear them expressing political views when you follow them for different reason (singing, acting, sporting, etc.) as that is your right. However, I wonder if it's expressing politics that bother you or the type of politics being expressed that bothers you, which again is within your right because I've dropped people for expressing what I think are political views different from my own. We should all be free to express what we like and then also be willing to face the consequences of such expression and be free to NOT follow people based on said expression.

Manitou

Medalist
...However, I wonder if it's expressing politics that bother you or the type of politics being expressed that bothers you...

Obviously it's easier to forgive a celebrity for expressing their political or social opinions if they match yours, but I am trying to be consistent regardless of what their expressed views are. Again: I am trying.. :)

The world is so full of contempt, half of the country hates or despises the other, and vice versa, it goes through families and workplaces, so one must find a way to escape all this. Sometimes I wake up in the morning in a great mood full of positive energy, and then I read something that fills me with hate for a long time and the day is ruined. Nobody needs it. No politics of any kind, left or right, no world-fixers or world-changers, just things going by themselves as they were done to begin with by the Creator. We all need peace.

Figure skating is a wonderful mix of competitive sport and art. So leave it like that. Leave everything else alone. Let the art speak for itself, free of political messages, of fixing the world or of preaching social justice. Just let go.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually have the complete opposite reaction as to skaters and political views; I began following Charlie White only *after* he began engaging in activism.

Different strokes for different folks.:)

Me, too. I really started to like Charlie much more after he stopped competing and being so PC all the time.

He's a bright, articulate guy with lots of opinions and I enjoy listening to him do commentary or posting his political views.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I don't really see LGBT rights as politics, but as human rights.

But maybe that's because only small fringe groups in my country want to get rid of gay marriage etc and the big political parties all support equal rights, so that I don't think of it as a political issue.
Unfortunately, LGBT people are still discriminated against all over the world and I can only applaud people like Gracie for standing up for them. So, I guess I'm with el henry on this and like it when famous skaters use their fame to support vulnerable groups :agree:

Manitou

Medalist
But maybe that's because only small fringe groups in my country want to get rid of gay marriage etc and the big political parties all support equal rights, so that I don't think of it as a political issue.
Unfortunately, LGBT people are still discriminated against all over the world and I can only applaud people like Gracie for standing up for them. So, I guess I'm with el henry on this and like it when famous skaters use their fame to support vulnerable groups :agree:

As we speak right now, the most persecuted group in the world are Christians. Just FYI. How many posts has Gracie published about genocide of Christians in the Middle East?
And this is a simple mathematical question, not a start of a heated debate. Just give me the number.

Last edited: