Figure Skating Fashion | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Fashion

Skate2Music

Rinkside
What are some examples of costumes that don't wear sparkle or unusual material such as plaid or cotton?
Are there any skaters who have rarely worn traditional figure skating material/designs in their career?

Since this is a style thread I would appreciate links to pictures or attachments.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=plai...sch&q=plaid+dress+green&imgrc=pZWF8XCM8Tag3M: (Plaid Example)

http://theawesomedaily.com/18-stunning-nature-inspired-dresses-that-just-scream-creativity/ (Some do use sparkle but I like the first one and fifth one)

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
Tessa Virtue's FD dress this year :luv17: that one was my fav

actually many ice dancers don't wear sparkles dress

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside
Tessa Virtue's FD dress this year :luv17: that one was my fav

actually many ice dancers don't wear sparkles dress

It's almost ironic how plain the ice dance costumes have become compared to where they were 15 years ago - no streaming long hair on the guys - no shreds and pieces of fabric hanging off the costumes.

lappo

Final Flight
Gabriella Papadakis often wears dresses with little sparkles...which I like a lot! Tessa Virtue is another generally well dressed lady as Anna Cappellini. And thanks god we rarely see true atrocities as in the past...

moriel

Record Breaker
Gabriella Papadakis often wears dresses with little sparkles...which I like a lot! Tessa Virtue is another generally well dressed lady as Anna Cappellini. And thanks god we rarely see true atrocities as in the past...

Well, short dances next season may bring some scary stuff back.
I´m a bit scared of that.

lappo

Final Flight
Well, short dances next season may bring some scary stuff back.
I´m a bit scared of that.

I share your concerns, usually those patterns are the preferred path to the dark side of FS fashion...Sometimes, I really wish in a drastic change of FS fashion, in which dresses are less "figure skating" and more couture (original cuts, prints and the likes). Another one i really liked was Gracie's black dress for her first tango season, almost no embellishment, only the red underlining.

just wondering

On the Ice
The second image in your second link certainly brings this one to mind: http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+Final+2010+11+TY2LH4euaPMx.jpg

I definitely prefer a nod to a couture look, but recognize the demands of these dresses require specialized construction, as compared to runway, evening, or party wear. For women's costumes, I think ice dance lends itself to the greatest functional flexibility because the skirt length and style can vary so much, while pairs ladies are most limited given the catching, throwing, & lift activites.
Of course, budget for many athletes is a paramount factor in how creative or couture the final costume can be.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The second image in your second link certainly brings this one to mind: http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+Final+2010+11+TY2LH4euaPMx.jpg

I definitely prefer a nod to a couture look, but recognize the demands of these dresses require specialized construction, as compared to runway, evening, or party wear. For women's costumes, I think ice dance lends itself to the greatest functional flexibility because the skirt length and style can vary so much, while pairs ladies are most limited given the catching, throwing, & lift activites.
Of course, budget for many athletes is a paramount factor in how creative or couture the final costume can be.

That costume of Alissa's was gorgeous and just flowed like a dream....I saw her live that year and she was really something special.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's almost ironic how plain the ice dance costumes have become compared to where they were 15 years ago - no streaming long hair on the guys - no shreds and pieces of fabric hanging off the costumes.

Thank goodness! :agree:

skatefan17

On the Ice
These ones stand out in my mind. It doesn't mean they are beautiful, but definitely are memorable:

Gabby Daleman sp dress this year
Anna Pogorilaya, last two seasons (the design of her dresses are original imo)
Gracie Gold's 2015-16 sp tango dress (like a Loboutin dress!)
Tara Lapinski's fp dress from the Olympics
Nancy Kerrigan's white sparkling Olympic dress
Miki Ando's Egyptian Olympic dress
Mao's 2014 Olympic FS dress
Oksana Baiul's swan dress
Gracie Gold's LP dipped blue dress with choker collar (loved that dress)