First skates and fitter advice | Golden Skate

First skates and fitter advice

jbp182

Spectator
(Sorry, I accidentally deleted my last post while editing)

Hello everyone! I want to learn figure skating and I would appreciate some advice for my first skates! 😊

I am an adult beginner, female, 30yo, 173cm, 70kg.

My feet are egyptian type (but not as pronounced as 45°, more likeo 30), with normal arches. However, I have wide shins, more specifically, my achilles tendon is not very pronounced.

I only had 2 sessions on the ice so far, and with rentals made with plastic (they don't have my size in figure skates).

I know how to do snowplow stop, dip, 2-foot glide, forward and backward swizzles, pumps in a circle. I am still trying to learn 1-foot glides, backward skating, and slaloms (those outside edges are scary).

My plan is to continue learning and progressing. I plan to skate 1 to 2 times per week, ~2h each session (unless I find it hard to resist. I've been searching and watching ice skating informational videos almost non stop 😁).

As everyone else, I am afraid of overbooting and hindering my progress in the beginning. But at the same time, I don't want to have to buy new boots after just a few months, nor get injuries due to too soft boots.

Also, could someone advise me on some trusted fitters in Prague?
I already went to one, but I wanted to be sure they are recommended. Based on their stock, they advised me first on Jackson Artiste, and Jackson Elle, but they said that Elle's stiffness might hinder my progress in the beginning. Then when I mentioned my non pronounced achilles, they suggested Risport Electra Light because it has more space on the heel area, and according to them its stiffness is in between the Jacksons options they mentioned.
I read a few posts here where you advise against Artistes for adults, so I wanted to check if maybe I went to the right place to get fitted. Or maybe since I am a beginner, it is a valid option for me?

Sorry for the long post, but I tried to share all the information you usually ask for.
All help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!! 😊

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
(Sorry, I accidentally deleted my last post while editing)

Hello everyone! I want to learn figure skating and I would appreciate some advice for my first skates! 😊

I am an adult beginner, female, 30yo, 173cm, 70kg.

My feet are egyptian type (but not as pronounced as 45°, more likeo 30), with normal arches. However, I have wide shins, more specifically, my achilles tendon is not very pronounced.

I only had 2 sessions on the ice so far, and with rentals made with plastic (they don't have my size in figure skates).

I know how to do snowplow stop, dip, 2-foot glide, forward and backward swizzles, pumps in a circle. I am still trying to learn 1-foot glides, backward skating, and slaloms (those outside edges are scary).

My plan is to continue learning and progressing. I plan to skate 1 to 2 times per week, ~2h each session (unless I find it hard to resist. I've been searching and watching ice skating informational videos almost non stop 😁).

As everyone else, I am afraid of overbooting and hindering my progress in the beginning. But at the same time, I don't want to have to buy new boots after just a few months, nor get injuries due to too soft boots.

Also, could someone advise me on some trusted fitters in Prague?
I already went to one, but I wanted to be sure they are recommended. Based on their stock, they advised me first on Jackson Artiste, and Jackson Elle, but they said that Elle's stiffness might hinder my progress in the beginning. Then when I mentioned my non pronounced achilles, they suggested Risport Electra Light because it has more space on the heel area, and according to them its stiffness is in between the Jacksons options they mentioned.
I read a few posts here where you advise against Artistes for adults, so I wanted to check if maybe I went to the right place to get fitted. Or maybe since I am a beginner, it is a valid option for me?

Sorry for the long post, but I tried to share all the information you usually ask for.
All help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!! 😊
Hello! I hope someone answers with information about a skate shop and fitter in Prague. I'm in Canada, so no help with that. When we find a fitter for you and know what brands they stock or can get for you, then we can suggest a boot that will be suitable for your needs. I have quite prominent Achilles tendons myself, so I hesitate to advise anyone about boots good for the opposite problem. I used to wear Jacksons until they changed the shape so it no longer suits my feet (with Egyptian toes and very high arches). If the Jacksons fit you comfortably, I think the Elle model is too soft for an adult your size. Thanks for all the information you gave about yourself! The stiffness a skater needs depends not just on their skating level but also on their own size. As an adult your height and weight, you need a stiffer boot than the Elle which according to the charts I consulted are rated at only 30 or 35. You could probably safely manage the basic beginner moves in them, but you'd quickly find them breaking down and not supporting you as you learn the next level of skills and would have to replace them soon.

I hope someone suggests a place for you to get help in Prague. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome! Egyptian type: You could look at the brands Graf, Edea and Riedell. Risport could work too.
With your stats and height/weight I wouldn't be putting you any of the boots that shop suggested, not going to be stiff enough for you and I wouldn't want you getting injured.

Graf you could look at the Prestige Crystal, it's already a set with Lausanne blades on them and rated at 55 and would be a decent starter boot for you. Next up for Graf would be F4000 and that's a 65 stiffness and boot only, you'd have to buy blades (like JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro).

Edea overture. You'll need blades to go with those as well.

Riedell Stride. You'd also need blades to pair with these.

As far as fitters/pro shops in Czech Republic, try Brezina Sport in Brno. Or Ice Dream in Nachod

The other shops I would suggest are in Poland and Slovakia.

Good luck!